1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 12:43
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I don't believe in "God" and most likely never will, but I regret that presumably one of the best ways to meet new people, get involved in my community - and essentially stop being such a damned stranger every time I change address, the opportunity to attend a church, is off limits.

I suppose there is nothing to stop me from lying, and pretending to be just ...[text shortened]... atheists, especially the less socially empowered amongst us, are missing out a little - ah well!
    You could buy a dog......one that does not believe in God, that is. 😛
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 12:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    There are some Christians who are so only in name in the sense that they do not live the Christian lifestyle as laid out by Christ and the Apostles. There are some atheists who live more like Christ than Christians themselves. I would guess that a good atheist is better than a crooked Christian:

For if after they [Christians] have escaped the pollutio ...[text shortened]... have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. (2 Peter 2:20-21 KJV)
    "I would guess that a good atheist is better than a crooked Christian:"

Cynicism is what you preach Rajk. Always bashing Christians and wresting from the scriptures a perspective that feeds your self righteousness.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 12:471 edit
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 12:492 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I'm an atheist but my wife was raised a Lutheran. We've found nice, accepting churches here in Seattle that are committed to equality and social justice without emphasizing blood, sin, hell, magic, etc.
    Originally posted by josephw
    "...without emphasizing blood, sin, hell, magic, etc."

If that's what you want then just turn on the TV or go to the movies, or better yet join the service and deploy to the Middle East.

The reality of blood, sin, hell and horrors are right out there in the street everyday. Unless you live in an ivory palace. While the Bible does contain some elements of blood shed the overriding theme is of the love of God for those who believe in the method and means of salvation provided by God while we were yet lost in sin.

I would hope that that is the message you're hearing in your church. If you're going to church to escape the realities of life and not to learn of the love of God while giving Him thanks for the good things you have, and are only there because the message doesn't invade your comfort zones, then you're in the wrong church.

Preaching from the Word of God isn't always going to make you feel comfortable, but is instead designed to reshape and redefine who you are. The whole purpose of preaching and teaching, if done according to the plan of God as it is revealed in His Word, is to conform you to the image of Christ.

Romans 8:29
    For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Galatians 4:19
    My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

God and Christ are real. Is the preaching in your church convincing you of that? Or are you just going to church to be conformed to the image of your community? Or to some idea that makes it palatable to your own sensibilities?

Welcome back bbarr. 🙂
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 13:15
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I'm an atheist but my wife was raised a Lutheran. We've found nice, accepting churches here in Seattle that are committed to equality and social justice without emphasizing blood, sin, hell, magic, etc.
    Wow, nice seeing your name again! Made my morning!
    Kelly
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 13:392 edits
    [b]"I would guess that a good atheist is better than a crooked Christian:"

Cynicism is what you preach Rajk. Always bashing Christians and wresting from the scriptures a perspective that feeds your self righteousness.[/b]
    Self righteousness is what you preach. To claim "I believe in Christ .. therefore I am righteous", is both an outright lie and self-righteous in itself.

The cold hard truth is always better that sugar coated lies.

Christ and all the Apostles spoke of crooked and evil people who claim with their mouth that they believe in God or that they know God or like in the case of modern Christians they have a personal relationship with Christ. But these are just empty words that lead to death unless they are followed up with obedience to Christ, something that you preach is not important, or worse that you automatically do once you accept Christ.

Oh .. I bash crooked Christians. The fact that you always comment and think that is something bad indicates that I have stepped on your toes.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 13:46
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I don't believe in "God" and most likely never will, but I regret that presumably one of the best ways to meet new people, get involved in my community - and essentially stop being such a damned stranger every time I change address, the opportunity to attend a church, is off limits.

I suppose there is nothing to stop me from lying, and pretending to be just ...[text shortened]... atheists, especially the less socially empowered amongst us, are missing out a little - ah well!
    That's what pubs are for.
  8. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 15:50
    you don't have to believe in a God to share a religion with people and do community worship. there are religions that exist that don't require the belief in a god. Buddhism, Pagans, Druids are but a few. your expression of your spirituality may just need to take a different path.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 17:15
    Originally posted by yavash
    you don't have to believe in a God to share a religion with people and do community worship. there are religions that exist that don't require the belief in a god. Buddhism, Pagans, Druids are but a few. your expression of your spirituality may just need to take a different path.
    He could join Islam and become a "freedom figher" for ISIS.

Just imagine the close relationships he will create. They will be brothers in arms. 😵
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 17:391 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    He could join Islam and become a "freedom figher" for ISIS.

Just imagine the close relationships he will create. They will be brothers in arms. 😵
    Or failing that I could volunteer at the nearest special needs school and chew the fat with other teachers about the difficulties people like you are up against.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 17:421 edit
    Thanks to all for the serious responses ... there is quite a bit to think about here (I am part of a running club (as of 8 weeks ago) but I injured myself pretty badly about 4 weeks ago and will be out of action still for quite a while). As for pubs, I always feel awkward walking into these places on my own (managed to do it once but it was a struggle).
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 18:16
    One social opportunity not yet mentioned, is work mates. The people I got to know first when I came to South Africa were people I worked with, and some of them were very nice people and really helped me settle in.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 22:47
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Self righteousness is what you preach. To claim "I believe in Christ .. therefore I am righteous", is both an outright lie and self-righteous in itself.

The cold hard truth is always better that sugar coated lies.

Christ and all the Apostles spoke of crooked and evil people who claim with their mouth that they believe in God or that they know God or li ...[text shortened]... t you always comment and think that is something bad indicates that I have stepped on your toes.
    "To claim "I believe in Christ .. therefore I am righteous",.."

You see, this is why you're such a dunderhead. I never said that, and neither has anyone else who claims to believe in Jesus in this forum. You made it up because you are a self righteous cynic who only hears the sound of his own voice. Your bias against Christians is blatantly obvious to all who bother to read your prattling.

Any beginner believer knows he isn't righteous just because he believes in Christ. Where do you get these ridiculous ideas?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 01:10
    [b]"To claim "I believe in Christ .. therefore I am righteous",.."

You see, this is why you're such a dunderhead. I never said that, and neither has anyone else who claims to believe in Jesus in this forum. You made it up because you are a self righteous cynic who only hears the sound of his own voice. Your bias against Christians is blatantly obvious ...[text shortened]... he isn't righteous just because he believes in Christ. Where do you get these ridiculous ideas?[/b]
    Actually I gave you the short version. The long version of what you believe goes like this:

- I believe in Christ
    - Christ died for my sins
    - Christ and only Christ was righteous
    - We are all hopeless sinners
    - Christ has given me his Spirit
    - I cannot sin.
    - everything I do is good works
    - I am now righteous because Christ is righteous.

Howzat ?
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 02:25
    Nice to hear from you again and to see you're still fighting the good fight. Hope all is well with you and yours!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree