1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 02:39
    I have read many times, in various threads, that some atheists.....especially Ghost of a Duke, would welcome the idea of God....if only there were proof. I respect the fact that atheists do not believe in a God based solely on the bible. And after thinking about this for some time, I am curious......what proof of God would suffice?

What would it take for an atheist to turn his/her thoughts around, and actually believe....or hope....that God is actually there?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:12
    Originally posted by chaney3
    I have read many times, in various threads, that some atheists.....especially Ghost of a Duke, would welcome the idea of God....if only there were proof. I respect the fact that atheists do not believe in a God based solely on the bible. And after thinking about this for some time, I am curious......what proof of God would suffice?

What would it take fo ...[text shortened]... to turn his/her thoughts around, and actually believe....or hope....that God is actually there?
    I gather from most atheists I know, that they would require a god to reveal itself to them directly and unambiguously and not through a hodge podge of books laying out the mythology and superstitions of one particular tribe of people who inhabited the Middle East thousands of years ago.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    I gather from most atheists I know, that they would require a god to reveal itself to them directly and unambiguously and not through a hodge podge of books laying out the mythology and superstitions of one particular tribe of people who inhabited the Middle East thousands of years ago.
    Agreed FMF. But.....that leads to the next question. Could our human minds really handle such an encounter? It seems to me, that having the 'doubt' about God is what allows us to actually live our lives. If we had CERTAIN proof of God.....wouldn't that change our lives dramatically? Would we be all of a sudden running to the priesthood schools if God suddenly made Himself known?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:21
    If we had CERTAIN proof of God.....wouldn't that change our lives dramatically? Would we be all of a sudden running to the priesthood schools if God suddenly made Himself known?
    I don't see there's any mystery about what you ask. Millions and millions of Christians believe that they have "CERTAIN proof of God" and that "God [has] made Himself known", so we can look to them to see how they behave and how it affects their lives.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:23

What would it take fo ...[text shortened]... to turn his/her thoughts around, and actually believe....or hope....that God is actually there?
    This is kind of how I came to the Lord, there may be better suggestions...

First, they look at Creation....

Rom 1:19-22

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    KJV

Then, when they are honest and admit that creation is intelligent design...
    then they ....

Heb 11:6
    for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    KJV

Then, they simply believe that God will not turn them away, that He is faithful...

Rom 10:9-13
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    KJV

The biggest steps are asking Him. Looking at creation, realizing that humans were created with purpose in mind, and that your life matters to Him.
    In a nutshell, God loves you and is patient. But that patience has a limitation.
    In the Old Covenant, God laid it out....
    Choose this day Life or Death.....
    Then, in case you aren't too smart, He gives the answer...Choose Life.

Deut 30:19

19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
    KJV
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:27
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The biggest steps are asking Him. Looking at creation, realizing that humans were created with purpose in mind, and that your life matters to Him.
    But why would this mean one has to believe in the Christian God figure in particular?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    But why would this mean one has to believe in the Christian God figure in particular?
    You don't have to do anything.
    Try Allah, or some other god and see if it works for you.
    I happen to believe in the God and Father of Jesus Christ.
    You are free to choose a god of your making... go for it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:35
    The dilemma though, checkbaiter, is that Christian ideology suggests that if one chooses any other god other than the God of Abraham, and Jesus.....that they are doomed to hell.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:371 edit

I know. But why should anyone else believe the same thing?

Is advising others to turn to any god figure they want rooted in the Bible, and is it part of the religious beliefs you profess? Is it something that Jesus advised us/you to do?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 03:37
    This is kind of how I came to the Lord, there may be better suggestions...

First, they look at Creation....

Rom 1:19-22

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things tha ...[text shortened]... lessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
    KJV
    I currently believe in a Creator. I am not at all convinced that He cares at all about my life. I wish I could.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 04:04
    It has been said before that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

The concept of a god is so extraordinary to me that I cannot think of any proof that would suffice.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 04:10
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It has been said before that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

The concept of a god is so extraordinary to me that I cannot think of any proof that would suffice.
    It is NOT my goal to change your mind. But......you have never contemplated what proof would be sufficient to change your mind? Is the notion of a God so far fetched, that nothing would suffice?

Keep in mind.....that I am counting on Ghost of a Duke to chime in at some point. He is an atheist.....but, seems open to the idea of a God.....if proof existed. I simply asked what proof would suffice.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 04:19
    Is the notion of a God so far fetched, that nothing would suffice?

Yep.

I find the idea extremely bizarre.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 04:23
    I would like to add a comment at this point. It really seems to me that our human minds may NOT be able to handle an encounter with God. If we really, really knew that God was there, it would have an impact on our lives......that we probably could NOT comprehend.

Examples: Could you have sex, and not think that God was watching? Could you look at a female with lustful thoughts and not think that God is scolding you? Could you do ANYTHING in life, without realizing that God is there?

It seems to me.....that God keeps Himself hidden with a purpose. Humans may NOT be able to live a 'normal' life......if they knew for SURE that God is there.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 04:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Yep.

I find the idea extremely bizarre.
    There is nothing that would serve as proof that God exists to you? I understand that you may be an atheist.....but....NO proof would be sufficient?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree