What proof of God would be sufficient?

What proof of God would be sufficient?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
30 Aug 15

I think the shoe is on the wrong foot here. Consider instead the question, how can I best prepare myself to accept what is true about the supernatural world? IOW, what can I do, not what can I demand of the world?

This is stated somewhat vaguely because we are presented with a number of alleged truths about the supernatural world, from that it is nonexistent, to that it is unknowable, to the various theological ideas.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you believe your god is so helpless that it could not convince people of its godliness if it wanted to?
Nope, I believe God has and is making Himself known to us, but our hard hearts keep us
away from Him, because we like our sin.

F

Moves
31 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Nope, I believe God has and is making Himself known to us, but our hard hearts keep us
Do you believe it is a perfectly executed revelation which could not have been more effective and could not possibly have been able to convince more people than it has?

edit: might be worth a thread on its own as I know this question has crossed the minds of more than a few Christians I've met.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
What is your favourite sin Kelly?

F

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
What is your favourite sin Kelly?
So often, things lose some of their meaning when one does not have to pay for them. 🙁

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Aug 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
And of course Bertrand Russell would answer that way. It all has to be about him. And then, he says, he might believe it, giving nothing to God. Most atheists are like this, though, yes.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Aug 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
And yet, a significant portion of the earth's population has decided that the evidence presented IS quite sufficient.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Which of your senses do you trust?
All six of them.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
God is the one that started the natural processes. So that is why everything you understand is explained by natural processes.
Are you finally starting to come around? Or... no, probably not, what am I thinking...

F

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
And of course Bertrand Russell would answer that way. It all has to be about him.
But surely your contemplation of whether you will experience "salvation" or "damnation" ~ and all your hopes attendant thereto ~ is 'all about you'?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Aug 15

And yet, a significant portion of the earth's population has decided that the evidence presented IS quite sufficient.
Isn't faith the ability to believe despite the lack of, or dependency on, evidence? Isn't that the true meaning of 'faith'?

F

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Isn't faith the ability to believe despite the lack of, or dependency on, evidence? Isn't that the true meaning of 'faith'?
If sufficient evidence is available, faith is unnecessary.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 Aug 15

All six of them.
Poor you if you have only 6 senses.

But you are obviously aware of optical illusions.
And how about the McGurk Effect?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Aug 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Head of the class.

Faith renders even the barest evidence quite sufficient.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
31 Aug 15
1 edit

Erm ... a significant proportion of the earth's population hasn't decided that the evidence presented IS quite sufficient, more they have decided to foster a delusion in spite of the evidence - i.e. faith.

Indeed you acknowledge this with your prior statement:
Head of the class.

Faith renders even the barest evidence quite sufficient