What proof of God would be sufficient?

What proof of God would be sufficient?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
01 Sep 15
3 edits

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Sep 15

Shroud of Turin Science

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Sep 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
So what is faith built on, if not evidence?

As an atheist, the nearest i can get to faith is 'trust' and even then that trust is based on something solid. - For example i trust my friend Bob not to steal my gold lighter when i go into the kitchen to deshell a lobster. I trust him however because he has 'proven' to me in the past that he is a good ...[text shortened]... ld lighter. - Heck, i've not had lobster since 1987 and that unfortunate incident in Barnstable.
Faith is built on evidence, it is built upon trust or the hope of it. You may enter into an
agreement with someone whose actions you going to believe will be what they said so
you in turn will act on good faith to do your part. It is easier the closer you are to that
person, and I suppose the more disappointed you could be too. The faith is a matter of
trust that may or may not fall out as we want.

Proof isn't something we are doing to see with God, evidence I believe the full universe
is proof as I have pointed out before. The things that God has done in my life has me
trusting Him more than I did over 30 years ago. Through good and the bad He has been
faithful to me, much more than I have been to Him.

It seems to me that many who refuse to believe have practically stated they would always
find some way to explain away anything that would lead them to accept God is real in their
lives. Difficult to believe when one refuses to see anything that could possibly show you
that God is real.

Moves
02 Sep 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Accusations of sexism and/or islamophobia are quite besides the point, and as a big fan of Russel (a logical thinker of rank) I'm confident you'll agree (your rant notwithstanding).

Let me reiterate that I am in no way comparing Harris and Russel in their philosophical insights. I'm merely pointing out that Harris has a very deep interest in, and I would think appreciation for, spiritual experiences and the impact they can have in our lives. You suggested that "new" atheists aren't very spiritual, so I thought I'd point that out, since Harris is considered a leader of "new" atheism.

I'd also like to point out that I give little credence to this idea of "new" atheism. It seems to me a wave of the same atheism as always, with the only difference being about the amount of public limelight it's been getting over the past ten to fifteen years. Maybe the reason for that is precisely because these writers are very plain and to the point, which seems to appeal to most non-academics.

D

Moves
02 Sep 15

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Sep 15

10 Scientists Who Claim to Have Proof about the Existence of God

http://www.oddee.com/item_98822.aspx

Moves
02 Sep 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Not unimportant, but besides the point. In other words, a different topic of discussion entirely.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay

Proof isn't something we are doing to see with God, evidence I believe the full universe
is proof as I have pointed out before. The things that God has done in my life has me
trusting Him more than I did over 30 years ago.
Yes, they would seem to be the main 2 forms of 'evidence' a Christian would put forward:

1. The teleological argument (intelligent design of the universe)
2. Personal experience of God that confirms his existence.

I personally (unsurprisingly) have problems with both of these as 'evidence' in any meaningful sense. The universe is indeed mindbogglingly amazing, but this doesn't prove it was created by a divine being. (Sure, it's one possibility, but not a conclusive one that can be equated with evidence). - And as i have not had a personal experience of God myself, it is difficult to conceive the experiences of others as 'evidence.' On what grounds are these personal experiences attributed to God? etc etc.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 15

Yes, they would seem to be the main 2 forms of 'evidence' a Christian would put forward:

1. The teleological argument (intelligent design of the universe)
2. Personal experience of God that confirms his existence.

I personally (unsurprisingly) have problems with both of these as 'evidence' in any meaningful sense. The universe is indeed mindbo ...[text shortened]... others as 'evidence.' On what grounds are these personal experiences attributed to God? etc etc.
I agree with you neither one of those is conclusive! I again say I cannot prove God, only
God can do that. We walk by faith, all of us do, we just put our faith in different things.

The distant past is out of our reach yet people believe they know what occurred millions
and billions of years ago. There are so many things we just trust to be true!

I will say this, you'll never find God if you think you can demand that He reveals Himself
to you. It will always be by faith, and it will always be on God's terms not ours.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Sep 15

I agree with you neither one of those is conclusive! I again say I cannot prove God, only
God can do that. We walk by faith, all of us do, we just put our faith in different things.

The distant past is out of our reach yet people believe they know what occurred millions

I ...[text shortened]... eals Himself
to you. It will always be by faith, and it will always be on God's terms not ours.
It is not so much that i 'demand' God prove himself to me, but more a case of there being insufficient evidence to make belief in him possible,

Faith in something unproven is just not in my nature.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 15

It is not so much that i 'demand' God prove himself to me, but more a case of there being insufficient evidence to make belief in him possible,

Faith in something unproven is just not in my nature.
Well I think we partly agree, but faith is in your nature if you trust anything that cannot be
shown true, but must be accepted.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 15

I ...[text shortened]... eals Himself
We don't really have to prove God, because God has already proven Himself. All we are to do is to tell the unbelievers to get there heads out of that black hole and look around. 😏

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Sep 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
We don't really have to prove God, because God has already proven Himself. All we are to do is to tell the unbelievers to get there heads out of that black hole and look around. 😏
I believe I said that I cannot prove God, only God can do that.
I believe no one will have an excuse before God too when the time comes.

c

Moves
03 Sep 15

Today, I saw a picture on the internet of a little boy, washed up on the beach, dead. Apparently a victim of the migrant crisis.

No proof of any god there.

F

Moves
03 Sep 15

Originally posted by chaney3
Today, I saw a picture on the internet of a little boy, washed up on the beach, dead. Apparently a victim of the migrant crisis.

No proof of any god there.
What exactly is it you expect a God to do? Why? And what is your source for the claim implicitly contained in your lament for that boy?