Who is a Christian?

Who is a Christian?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
no why should it?

Furthermore other verses rule the possibility out as in Colossians Chapter 1:15 which clearly states that he was a created entity, The first-born of all creation. Christ simply becomes an eternal father to those who are preserved for everlasting life. To follow your logic we should assume that those who gain everlasting life are also eternal, a nonsense proposition.
The Greek for "firstborn" is proto with tikto which would give us "firstborn," and that is what we find here in Colossians 1:15. The Greek for "first created" would be proto with ktizo, and it is not used here.

Second, the biblical use of the word "firstborn" is most interesting. It can mean the first born child in a family (Luke 2:7), but it can also mean "pre-eminence." In Psalm 89:20, 27 it says, "I have found David My servant; with My holy oil I have anointed him . . . I also shall make him My first-born." As you can see, David, who was the last one born in his family, was called the firstborn by God. This is a title of preeminence.

Third, firstborn is also a title that is transferable:

Gen. 41:51-52, "And Joseph called the name of the first-born Manasseh: For, said he, God hath made me forget all my toil, and all my fatherï's house. And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath made me fruitful in the land of my affliction."
Jer. 31:9, " . . . for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is My firstborn."

Scripture best interprets scripture. Firstborn does not require a meaning of first created. "Firstborn" can mean the first born person in a family, and it can also be a title of preeminence which is transferable. That is obvious since Jesus is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14) and is also the first born son of Mary. In addition, He is the pre-eminent one in all things.

https://carm.org/col-115-firstborn-all-creation

rc

Moves
26 Dec 16
3 edits

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
The Greek for "firstborn" is proto with tikto which would give us "firstborn," and that is what we find here in Colossians 1:15. The Greek for "first created" would be proto with ktizo, and it is not used here.

Second, the biblical use of the word "firstborn" is most interesting. It can mean the first born child in a family (Luke 2:7), but it can also ...[text shortened]... ion, He is the pre-eminent one in all things.

You cannot get away from the fact that the Christ is of the creation (the Greek genitive article translated 'of', makes this quite clear ) and no amount of references to definitions or semantic arguments can change this fact, Christ is of, or a part of the creation.

Furthermore the term firstborn is used about thirty times prior to Collosians 1:15 and almost always refers to progeny, as in first born of the Egyptians, why it suddenly takes on another meaning when it is used with reference to Christ is rather interesting but many terms seem to take on a magical significance when juxtaposed next to Christ. To cite an obscure reference from the Psalms which allegedly means pre-eminence ( I would say its more a prophetic reference to Gods own first-born son Jesus Christ) as justification for ignoring all of these instances is once again simply clutching at straws, Christ is clearly of the creation.

“And to the angel of the congregation in Laodicea write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God - Revelation 3:14

rc

Moves
26 Dec 16
2 edits

prototokos: first-born
Original Word: πρωτότοκος, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: prototokos
Phonetic Spelling: (pro-tot-ok'-os)
Short Definition: first-born
Definition: first-born, eldest.

Its a composite of two words, protos first and tikto, 'bring forth' – properly, first in time

Luke 2:7 Adj-AMS
GRK: αὐτῆς τὸν πρωτότοκον καὶ ἐσπαργάνωσεν
NAS: And she gave birth to her firstborn son;
KJV: her firstborn son,
INT: of her the first-born and wrapped in swaddling clothes

Romans 8:29 Adj-AMS
GRK: εἶναι αὐτὸν πρωτότοκον ἐν πολλοῖς
NAS: so that He would be the firstborn among
KJV: he might be the firstborn among many
INT: to be him firstborn among many

Colossians 1:15 Adj-NMS
GRK: τοῦ ἀοράτου πρωτότοκος πάσης κτίσεως
NAS: God, the firstborn of all
KJV: God, the firstborn of every
INT: invisible [the] firstborn of all creation

Colossians 1:18 Adj-NMS
GRK: ἡ ἀρχή πρωτότοκος ἐκ τῶν
NAS: and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead,
KJV: the beginning, the firstborn from
INT: the beginning firstborn from among the

Hebrews 1:6 Adj-AMS
GRK: εἰσαγάγῃ τὸν πρωτότοκον εἰς τὴν
NAS: brings the firstborn into the world,
KJV: he bringeth in the firstbegotten into
INT: he brings in the first-born into the

Hebrews 11:28 Adj-ANP
GRK: ὀλοθρεύων τὰ πρωτότοκα θίγῃ αὐτῶν
NAS: that he who destroyed the firstborn would not touch
KJV: he that destroyed the firstborn should touch
INT: the destroyer of the firstborn might touch them

Hebrews 12:23 Adj-GMP
GRK: καὶ ἐκκλησίᾳ πρωτοτόκων ἀπογεγραμμένων ἐν
NAS: and church of the firstborn who are enrolled
KJV: church of the firstborn, which are written
INT: and to [the] church of [the] firstborn [ones] enrolled in

Revelation 1:5 Adj-NMS
GRK: πιστός ὁ πρωτότοκος τῶν νεκρῶν
NAS: witness, the firstborn of the dead,
KJV: witness, [and] the first begotten of
INT: faithful the firstborn of the dead

Why in all of these instances is the term first created not used when making reference to the firstborn as you have alleged should be the case?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by chaney3
So after all these posts:

Who is a Christian?

Who has a firm concept of Jesus?

It seems nobody does.
Are you going to respond to my last, I posted it twice?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Dec 16
1 edit

Originally posted by leunammi

Jesus is fully man and fully God.
Thankyou.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Dec 16
2 edits

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk

Second, the biblical use of the word "firstborn" is most interesting. It can mean the first born child in a family (Luke 2:7), but it can also ...[text shortened]... ion, He is the pre-eminent one in all things.

Fetchmyjunk, Do you ever recall me explaining what the difference was between " the Firstborn of all creation" (Col. 1:15) and "the Firstborn from among the dead " (Col. 1:18) was? I know I have written about this in response to Arianism (ie. Robbie's JW Christology).

If you'd like to hear it, I'll write about this again.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by sonship
Fetchmyjunk, Do you ever recall me explaining what the difference was between [b]" the Firstborn of all creation" (Col. 1:15) and "the Firstborn from among the dead " (Col. 1:18) was? I know I have written about this in response to Arianism (ie. Robbie's JW Christology).

If you'd like to hear it, I'll write about this again.[/b]
You can call it what you like, the scripture is crystal clear and no amount of waffling monologue from you or anyone else can change the fact.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by sonship
Thankyou.
Translated :

Thank you for supporting my false doctrine. Its not in the BIble but I believe that nonsense anyway.

There is no such thing as fully man man fully God. Jesus was born a superior being to man and is still under God and subject to him. So he cannot be fully God either.

c

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
Translated :

Thank you for supporting my false doctrine. Its not in the BIble but I believe that nonsense anyway.

There is no such thing as fully man man fully God. Jesus was born a superior being to man and is still under God and subject to him. So he cannot be fully God either.
Rajk999, can you provide your opinion as to why some Christians believe Jesus is God.

What happened?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Dec 16

Rajk999, can you provide your opinion as to why some Christians believe Jesus is God.

What happened?
Have they not been telling you why they believe that ?

c

Moves
27 Dec 16

Have they not been telling you why they believe that ?
I asked for your opinion as to what happened.

But thanks.

c

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Are you going to respond to my last, I posted it twice?
Apologies KellyJay.

Can you please ask again.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Dec 16

Translated :

What you just said isn't scriptural if Jesus wasn't a man than He could not have been tempted like us! So do you deny Jesus the Son of Man was a man?

Do you deny Jesus was the Word of God made flesh? Do you deny Jesus is the only begotten of God?

Do you believe the Spirit of God made Mary pregnant or do you think Joseph did it?

c

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
What you just said isn't scriptural if Jesus wasn't a man than He could not have been tempted like us! So do you deny Jesus the Son of Man was a man?

Do you deny Jesus was the Word of God made flesh? Do you deny Jesus is the only begotten of God?

Do you believe the Spirit of God made Mary pregnant or do you think Joseph did it?
I think all he is saying is that there's zero proof that Jesus is God.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Dec 16

I think all he is saying is that there's zero proof that Jesus is God.
That was not what he said. Are you going to answer my post to you?