Originally posted by KellyJay
2 John 1:
7 I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ doe ...[text shortened]... e them into your house or welcome them. 11 Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work.
I find this is a very interesting passage. People quote this without reaslising what it is really saying.
(2 John 1 - KJV)
1. Opening Greetings- The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever. Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
2. The Doctrine of Christ / The commandment from the Father - I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father. And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
3. Who are the deceivers - For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
4. Closing Remarks - Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full. The children of thy elect sister greet thee. Amen.
So - Many deceivers. The identifying characteristics :
1. they do not confess that Christ has come in the flesh
2. they bring not the doctrine of Christ of brotherly love and charity.
What is this doctrine of Christ? It is love, brotherly love, charitable love, John said : And this is love, that we walk after his commandments
Those that bring not the doctrine of Christ of love and of the walking after the commandments of Christ are the antiChrist/deceivers and are not to be welcomed otherwise you are partaker of their evil deeds.
So all the Christians who illspeak the doctrine of Christ which means brotherly love and charity AND following of Christ commandments, and refer to it as lawkeeping or as trying to earn ones salvation .. take note. John is saying that you are a deceiver and an evil doer.