1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 09:32
    Jesus is not as some here portray Him, a dead guy who taught a lot of good things, or some cookie-cutter harmless love ball without a mean unbroken bone in His body. Yes, He is the Word of God made flesh and is love, but He is also good, righteousness, just, holy, and not someone to ignore at our peril.

The thing about God He created the universe for Himself and we in it, we were made to in His image. The earth is His, and everything in it is His, and He is before all things, preeminent in all actions and status. Our salvation is due to the self-sacrifice of God, the ultimate display of love towards us.

When the level of love required is so high, we cannot do it ourselves, the fact we can call someone a fool puts us in danger of Hell. What type of people are we that we act so blatantly evil towards God and one another that we think and consider it normal, will the creator of the universe let this pass or charge us for all we do?

Revelation 20

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Hosea 4 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Hear the word of the Lord, O children of Israel, for the Lord has a controversy with the inhabitants of the land. There is no faithfulness or steadfast love, and no knowledge of God in the land; there is swearing, lying, murder, stealing, and committing adultery; they break all bounds, and bloodshed follows bloodshed. Therefore the land mourns, and all who dwell in it languish, and also the beasts of the field and the birds of the heavens, and even the fish of the sea are taken away.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 09:451 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Jesus is not as some here portray Him, a dead guy who taught a lot of good things, or some cookie-cutter harmless love ball without a mean unbroken bone in His body.
    The Romans executed him around 2,000 years ago. That's when he died, then. What remains is some teaching about the 'Golden Rule' and stuff like the Sermon on the Mount which, unsurprisingly, has proven very popular.

Yeah, sure, there's all the supernatural stuff that many people claim is true about him, and they draw inspiration from that, but that kind of mythology is not everybody's cup of tea, understandably so.

I have no idea whether he was "some cookie-cutter harmless love ball without a mean unbroken bone in his body" and we will never know because all we have are the texts written decades after his death by people intent on creating a new religion based on a cult of personality.

But, all that aside, Christianity either provides a code for living, or it's pretty much nothing.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 11:06
    @fmf said
    The Romans executed him around 2,000 years ago. That's when he died, then. What remains is some teaching about the 'Golden Rule' and stuff like the Sermon on the Mount which, unsurprisingly, has proven very popular.

Yeah, sure, there's all the supernatural stuff that many people claim is true about him, and they draw inspiration from that, but that kind of mythology is not ev ...[text shortened]...

But, all that aside, Christianity either provides a code for living, or it's pretty much nothing.
    Putting into practice Jesus's code for living is eternal life.
    Professions to know Christ and to know who He is and what He did is worthless.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 11:263 edits
    @KellyJay

Very good.
    A comment -

"He will shepherd them with an iron rod" (Rev. 19:15 RcV )

Yes He will judge the nations. Here I think it is He will SHEPHERD or RULE the nations with an iron rod.

Let's see if any other translations agree with the Recovery Version there.

Rev. 19:15

English Standard Version

... and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.

Berean Study Bible

And from His mouth proceeds a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and He will rule them with an iron scepter.

Berean Literal Bible

and He will shepherd them with a rod of iron.

New American Standard Bible

and He will rule them with a rod of iron;

Holman Christian Standard Bible

He will shepherd them with an iron scepter.

Aramiac Bible In Plain English

and he will shepherd them with a rod of iron and he treads the winepress of the wrath of Almighty God.

Darby Bible Translation

he might smite the nations; and he shall shepherd them with an iron rod;

Weymouth New Testament

and He will Himself be their Shepherd, ruling them with a scepter of iron;

Most English version I checked read "rule them".

Christ is called "the Desire of the Nations" (Haggai 2:7). He is actually the Righteous Ruler who will bring in peace and justice and righteousness on the earth shepherding the nations which are preserved through the time of the great tribulation.

He will govern the earth with strong (iron) power yet righteously such as all the nations have always longed.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 12:28
    @rajk999 said
    Putting into practice Jesus's code for living is eternal life.
    Professions to know Christ and to know who He is and what He did is worthless.
    God gave us the Law before we were unable to keep it, now you think another set of rules/codes of more improved standards are what God requires? It is a personal thing now between God and us, and we grow in the knowledge of the Son of God.

Works doctrine isn't about knowing God; you proclaim that! The gospel is about God sending Jesus for our salvation, and it is not about doing more to be accepted. There aren't enough deeds to do from those dead in our sins! It is about taking the Work of Jesus and believing in Him. Don't go about trying to justify yourself before God, let God do that, and then do the works of God.

John 6
    Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

Matthew 11:27
    All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

John 10:13-15 English Standard Version (ESV)
    He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 14:6-8 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

Ephesians 4:12-14 English Standard Version (ESV)
    to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 12:30
    @kellyjay said
    God gave us the Law before we were unable to keep it, now you think another set of rules/codes of more improved standards are what God requires? It is a personal thing now between God and us, and we grow in the knowledge of the Son of God.

Works doctrine isn't about knowing God; you proclaim that! The gospel is about God sending Jesus for our salvation, and it is not abou ...[text shortened]... s and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.
    Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
    Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
    Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:3-10 KJV)
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 12:40
    @rajk999 said
    Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
    Blessed are the pure in heart: for t ...[text shortened]... re persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:3-10 KJV)
    Matthew 7:23
    And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

You can describe those that know the Lord, no where does these say that were that way do to good works without God, but you do see Jesus casting into Hell those He didn't know.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 12:452 edits

Removed by poster

9. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 12:48
    @kellyjay said
    Matthew 7:23
    And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

You can describe those that know the Lord, no where does these say that were that way do to good works without God, but you do see Jesus casting into Hell those He didn't know.
    What gobbledygook is that?
    Do you read over what you write and correct it?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 13:204 edits
    @rajk999 said
    What gobbledygook is that?
    Do you read over what you write and correct it?
    It is simple unless you don't want to see it.
    Jesus is going to cast out those that don't know Him and He them.
    They may even be working in His name, but that is no substitute for knowing Him.
    Jesus is our redeemer, our propitiation.
    Gospel of Jesus Christ declares He covers our sin and restores us to God.
    Those that follow the Lord are those you were describing, that isn't a list of things to do to earn salvation.

Works doctrine you hope you do enough to please God.
    Most people on the planet think if your good you get to heaven, but most are going to Hell.
    Only God is good, in those terms, read what Jesus said.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 13:24
    @kellyjay said
    It is simple unless you don't want to see it.
    Jesus is going to cast out those that don't know Him and He them.
    They may even be working in His name, but that is no substitute for knowing Him.
    Jesus is our redeemer, our propitiation.
    Gospel of Jesus Christ declares He covers our sin and restores us to God.
    Those that follow the Lord are those you were describing, that i ...[text shortened]... get to heaven, but most are going to Hell.
    Only God is good, in those terms, read what Jesus said.
    Jesus is going to cast out who He said He will cast out.
    Jesus does not need the likes of you to tell Him what to do.
    Jesus said it in Matt 25 unless you dont want to read it or see it.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 13:32
    @rajk999 said
    Yes He is I agree, I also accept that we are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves it is a gift of God. I also believe we are not saved by our efforts but that Jesus Christ, and I believe He gives us His Spirit so we can be taught by God, and obey Him, the Holy Spirit is our guarantee. These are done in this life, we are not waiting until we die to receive God into our lives.

Acts 5:32
    And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

Romans 5:5
    and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

2 Corinthians 1:22
    and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 13:43
    @kellyjay said
    Yes He is I agree, I also accept that we are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves it is a gift of God. I also believe we are not saved by our efforts but that Jesus Christ, and I believe He gives us His Spirit so we can be taught by God, and obey Him, the Holy Spirit is our guarantee. These are done in this life, we are not waiting until we die to receive ...[text shortened]... ians 1:22
    and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 13:451 edit
    @rajk999 said
    Yes, He is going to cast out who He is going to cast out, and I have nothing to do with that. I don't know who is going to be right with God, or not when we stand before Jesus on Judgment day, but He is telling what is important in this life. No one is going to have an excuse on judgment day, no one.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '19 13:54
    @kellyjay said
    Yes, He is going to cast out who He is going to cast out, and I have nothing to do with that. I don't know who is going to right or not when we stand before Jesus on Judgment day, but He is telling what is important in this life. No one is going to have an excuse on judgment day, no one.
    Whatt????

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree