1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '18 17:54
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I refer you to our past discussions on morality and "evil". My stance and my analysis has not changed.

Did Martin Luther think persecution of the Jews was "evil" according to his standard of morality and his Christian faith?
    Obviously Luther didn’t think that or he wouldn’t have done it. From what I understand, he was trying to get Jews to convert to Christianity and (obviously) went overboard - way overboard. One could argue his motivation was not evil at all - just the opposite, but his methods were. I guess he never heard of the honey and vinegar analogy.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 May '18 11:53
    Did Martin Luther think persecution of the Jews was "satanic" according to his standard of morality and the tenets of his Christian faith?
    I don't know what he was thinking.

You must have forgotten what you learned from the Bible, if you had learned it at all, but if you look at the lives of the many characters in scripture you'll see they were far from perfect. In fact some were down right bad hombres. David was a murderer and an adulterer, and the was no sacrifice for adultery and murder. Death was the sentence, yet God called David a man after His own heart.

Luther was way off base, and much of his diatribe against the Jews ultimately led to the slaughter of millions.

Not good. But Luther's failure to see that the Jews were God's people, basically because of the failure of His and his contemporaries during the reformation to understand Romans 9-11, and the prevailing view of replacement theology at that time, is no excuse for those that followed centuries later to seek the extermination of the Jews.

History bears testimony of God's pronouncement to Abraham that "I will bless them that bless you and curse them that curse you"(paraphrase) is still in effect.

The Jews are still here and their enemies are dead and gone.

Go to Israel. A Jewish tour guide will show you Roman ruins.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '18 12:26
    Originally posted by @secondson
    I don't know what he was thinking. [...] Luther was way off base, and much of his diatribe against the Jews ultimately led to the slaughter of millions.

Not good. But Luther's failure to see that the Jews were God's people, basically because of the failure of His and his contemporaries during the reformation to understand Romans 9-11, and the prevailing view of replacement theology at that time, is no excuse for those that followed centuries later to seek the extermination of the Jews.

Are you sticking to your stance that Christians didn't persecute Jews for centuries?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '18 12:28
    You mean, for example, that Martin Luther ~ arguably a founding father of Protestant Christianity ~ is "dead and gone" and "the Jews are still here"?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 May '18 18:38
    [b]I don't know what he was thinking. [...] Luther was way off base, and much of his diatribe against the Jews ultimately led to the slaughter of millions.

Not good. But Luther's failure to see that the Jews were God's people, basically because of the failure of His and his contemporaries during the reformation to understand Romans 9-11, and the prevailing v ...[text shortened]... ews.

Are you sticking to your stance that Christians didn't persecute Jews for centuries?[/b]
    No. 😞

Still, I can't imagine how a Christian can persecute anyone. Then again I can. Christians aren't immune to ignorance.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 May '18 18:39
    You mean, for example, that Martin Luther ~ arguably a founding father of Protestant Christianity ~ is "dead and gone" and "the Jews are still here"?
    No. I meant what I said. Reread the post.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '18 20:52
    Was Martin Luther ~ arguably the founding father of Protestant Christianity ~ one of these "enemies" of the Jews you've mentioned?
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 May '18 09:15
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    I have come across some of these same wiser theologians who have found it necessary to conclude that the story of the Good Samaritan applies to Jesus Christ and not to us... a conclusion completely contradictory to the teachings of Christ. As far as I am concerned these are wise fools who have no guidance from God and are just fallible men with a twisted a ...[text shortened]... nferiority complex. I can read. I can understand. I dont need their input into my understanding.
    I'm not holding anyone on a pedestal. I merely remark that you have much presumption to suppose that your comprehension of Scripture surpasses that of the Church fathers and ordained bishops. Do you read and understand ancient Greek? ancient Aramaic? Hebrew? Do you know the process whereby the bishops at the Council of Nicea in 4th c. chose to canonize just those four gospels and not any of the others which were in wide circulation then? If not, I am entitled to doubt your claim to understand the teachings of Christ without any "input" as you call it. Anyone with any intellectual humility would admit that Scripture is often dumbfoundingly obscure.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 May '18 19:401 edit
    Luther was a genius. He translated the Latin vulgate into German in ten weeks using the most common words from fourteen German dialects essentially creating the German language in use to this day.

When you see Luther in the kingdom you can call him a fool to his face. Before you do come and get me first because I gotta see that.
    Whatever else Luther may be famous, or infamous, for, here's one debt even atheists the world over owe him:

http://www.americancraftbeer.com/beer-reformation-martin-luther-changed-beer-forever/

Scholar, theologian, practical chemist...
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '18 21:06
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I am being repeatedly and persistently trolled by Romans1009 who is accusing me of being ashamed of Jesus Christ. Other than calling someone a Son of Satan this is probably one of the worst insults one Christian will say to another.

If you think I am ashamed of Christ please say so, if not then who will stand with me and refute this person's claims a ...[text shortened]... ent with Romans1009, I am not asking for ambivalence.

Who will stand with me one this matter?
    For the record, I have stood with you - one of the few posters on here to do so. That Romans1009 is a big meanie!

But I have a question:

By creating this thread and your subsequent posts where you groveled, begged and pleaded for support, do you think you’re a “willie-waving attention seeker?”
  11. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    30 May '18 21:37
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    By creating this thread and your subsequent posts where you groveled, begged and pleaded for support, do you think you’re a “willie-waving attention seeker?”
    Brother, the irony is truly breathtaking
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 21:43
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Brother, the irony is truly breathtaking
    Did you see how you used the word “truly” there, when in fact your breath has not been taken at all?

Casual dishonesty Tom...
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '18 21:55
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Did you see how you used the word “truly” there, when in fact your breath has not been taken at all?

Casual dishonesty Tom...
    It’s hilarious that you of all people is accusing anyone of being dishonest.

That’s like Ghost accusing someone of lying about their profession or Kiddo accusing someone of being a troll.

Truly breathtaking.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '18 01:37
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    I'm not holding anyone on a pedestal. I merely remark that you have much presumption to suppose that your comprehension of Scripture surpasses that of the Church fathers and ordained bishops. Do you read and understand ancient Greek? ancient Aramaic? Hebrew? Do you know the process whereby the bishops at the Council of Nicea in 4th c. chose to canonize just ...[text shortened]... nyone with any intellectual humility would admit that Scripture is often dumbfoundingly obscure.
    What is required to enter the Kingdom of God is to love God and your neighbour as yourself. The Good Samaritan will be in the Kingdom of God. No understanding of Greek and Hebrew neither the ability to read and interpret the scriptures is required.

Your socalled scholars which your clearly idolize are a complete waste of time. Jokers like Martin Luther and other church fathers, used their knowledge to twist the word of God and to turn the doctrine of Christ and the Apostles into foolishness. Even now in these times the church leaders are corrupt, greedy and worldly, using their great knowledge for evil.

Some parts of the scripture are dumbfoundingly obscure but none of those parts are remotely necessary for eternal life.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 May '18 05:05
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    What is required to enter the Kingdom of God is to love God and your neighbour as yourself. The Good Samaritan will be in the Kingdom of God. No understanding of Greek and Hebrew neither the ability to read and interpret the scriptures is required.

Your socalled scholars which your clearly idolize are a complete waste of time. Jokers like Martin Luther a ...[text shortened]... ture are dumbfoundingly obscure but none of those parts are remotely necessary for eternal life.
    You haven't the foggiest idea who I idolize or why. But, it's not about me. It's about the fact that certain people and certain institutions have a patent on Christianity. You can build a soapbox racer, if you want. You can call it a 'Lamborghini,' if you want. That doesn't make it a Lamborghini.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree