1. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    12389
    23 Oct '10 05:291 edit
    Me, Christian, (that's who I am) (why), it saved my life. I have studied 11 religions within my lifetime (I was anti Jesus, for the better half of a decade) , but when I needed help Jesus is who saved me. Studied Ma'at, T.O.L.M., Zen, Buddism, Vadeta, the Tao, etc. Those are some of the religions I studied during that decade of being a non believer of Christ. As a believer got my AA in theology, Several hour of training and studing outside of school and I am a deacon at my church. I am NOT the if you don't believe you'll burn type. I'm the if you don't believe that's your choice, live your life, just don't hurt nobody, and lets make life better for mankind. That way we can all share the same smile.😀😀😀😀

    So in a real quick summary thats me pertaining to this forum. I want to know you, my fellow chess players. By knowing each other better, and seeing where the other person is coming from, hopefully we can gain a better understand of one another. God bless
  2. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49977
    23 Oct '10 05:53
    Originally posted by realeyez
    Me, Christian, (that's who I am) (why), it saved my life. I have studied 11 religions within my lifetime (I was anti Jesus, for the better half of a decade) , but when I needed help Jesus is who saved me. Studied Ma'at, T.O.L.M., Zen, Buddism, Vadeta, the Tao, etc. Those are some of the religions I studied during that decade of being a non believer of Chris ...[text shortened]... rson is coming from, hopefully we can gain a better understand of one another. God bless
    Me, atheist (that's with a small a), (why), hate the notion that the world could be based on supernatural aspects and that some thing is controlling what happens here on earth. Started life as a christian, thanks to my upbringing - not turned off it, no major bad experience - just didn't really make any sense to me. As I grew up I got into science fiction stories and from that science and this turned me off the notion of the supernatural.
    I tried to stay religious at first and looked at other forms of christianity (my upbringing was Anglican), then Buddhism, which I'm still a little fond of - it not requiring gods and all.
    I'm not the 'if you believe you're an idiot' type. I'm the 'if you believe that's cool, but please don't force your beliefs on me' type.
  3. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    965
    23 Oct '10 06:54
    Originally posted by realeyez
    Me, Christian, (that's who I am) (why), it saved my life. I have studied 11 religions within my lifetime (I was anti Jesus, for the better half of a decade) , but when I needed help Jesus is who saved me. Studied Ma'at, T.O.L.M., Zen, Buddism, Vadeta, the Tao, etc. Those are some of the religions I studied during that decade of being a non believer of Chris ...[text shortened]... rson is coming from, hopefully we can gain a better understand of one another. God bless
    God BLESS You, my wonderful loving and strong friend, that is wise to awake what matters for one's being..

    You already know about me as I have shared with you quite a bit in our fun chess game buddy! =]
  4. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    965
    23 Oct '10 06:57
    Originally posted by amannion
    Me, atheist (that's with a small a), (why), hate the notion that the world could be based on supernatural aspects and that some thing is controlling what happens here on earth. Started life as a christian, thanks to my upbringing - not turned off it, no major bad experience - just didn't really make any sense to me. As I grew up I got into science fiction s ...[text shortened]... 'm the 'if you believe that's cool, but please don't force your beliefs on me' type.
    I would never force one to believe what I know could immeasurably help them, I only desire you to desire such amazing experience DUE TO opening your ears or eyes that you may hear or see.
  5. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49977
    23 Oct '10 09:09
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    I would never force one to believe what I know could immeasurably help them, I only desire you to desire such amazing experience DUE TO opening your ears or eyes that you may hear or see.
    My ears and eyes are open to the wonder of the world. I see it everyday. I experience it every day.
    I don't need to close my eyes to reality and wish I was in some cloud fairyland in the sky.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91563
    23 Oct '10 14:30
    Originally posted by amannion
    My ears and eyes are open to the wonder of the world. I see it everyday. I experience it every day.
    I don't need to close my eyes to reality and wish I was in some cloud fairyland in the sky.
    Thats the problem: people believe in these fairy tales (obvious, I know).

    But real spirituaity is not about fairy tales. Maybe christianiy is, but then again , as i've mentioned before, these christians need a separate forum. They are an embaressment, for truly enquiring honest minds as yourself.
    (C,mon Rob. Please tell me how I'm sucking up to amannnion now?)

    From the start I've maintained that "spirituality" is based on personal experience primarily. Not the the bible. Not JC. Not Vedanta.
  7. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    23 Oct '10 15:00
    I was born into a Christian family that really never took it seriously. In my teens I began to question Christian doctrine,because it never made sense in so many ways. Later on in my twentys I became involved with Transcendental Meditation and that lasted around seven years before the veil began to lift on that organization. I could never ignore the experiences I had when doing TM. The East still holds a strong fascination for me, and the doctrine still holds water. At this time I claim to know nothing about religion or spiritual matters. I want the Truth, but the Truth has always been an illusion in the past. I'm very leary now about such things now.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148423
    23 Oct '10 17:03
    Was not born into a Christian family, grew up not really worrying to much about
    life, anything spiritual, partied a lot, was into music, sports, and a few things illegal,
    joined a gang when I was in high school, quit high school and joined the Navy, God
    got my attention in the Navy as I got myself into a lot of trouble and I prayed one of
    those, "God, if you get me out of this..." prayers. He did, I turned my life over to God
    and that lasted a whole weekend. Started parting again, but laid off the hard stuff I
    was dabbling in. Got out of the Navy was making great money without any bills, was
    partying all the time now, but was also talking to God now. One day I read in the
    news paper where someone wrote, “Want to talk to a true life person about a true
    life God, call ###-####.” I called went over to this family’s house, got saved and
    Spirit-Filled, and that was over 30 years ago. Since then I’ve married, my wife and I
    have had 4 kids, our first died 13 days past her fist birthday due to a heart defect.
    God has been with us through the good times and the bad.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    23 Oct '10 19:543 edits
    Been an atheist for as long as is important (by that I raised to believe some Christian God was looking down on my every action and itching to condemn me for an eternity in his fiery back yard if I misbehaved, but the idea was not so rigorously drummed into me to do any serious damage, nor did I take too much interest. I had formally decided I was an atheist well by the age of 13-14).

    To me any notion of some divine entity in the nether-realms who takes an interest in the lives of humans in particular is nonsense. When people talk about demons and angels I can't help but draw analogies with dungeons and dragons or the Final Fantasy series. I don't believe in magic in any of it's guises, this disbelief extends beyond religion to include tea leave reading, telekenesis and mind reading, astrology, ghosts, etc...
    Furthermore I'm quite sure we don't have souls (ie: things that define *us* as persons which need to be explained by anything other than that which is purely material)
  10. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    12389
    24 Oct '10 04:451 edit
    To all those who have posted thank you I have learned alot. I am on a mission for peace, I do realize peace on a grand scale is a pipe dream, but there is no reason for me to contribute to it. Having said that thank you for helping me attain my goal, well more like a start. If I offend anyone with my questions, let me know.
  11. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    12389
    24 Oct '10 04:49
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Been an atheist for as long as is important (by that I raised to believe some Christian God was looking down on my every action and itching to condemn me for an eternity in his fiery back yard if I misbehaved, but the idea was not so rigorously drummed into me to do any serious damage, nor did I take too much interest. I had formally decided I was an atheist w ...[text shortened]... as persons which need to be explained by anything other than that which is purely material)
    So what happens after you do die? Is there nothing or does your energy just get dispursed back to the universe? Just curious.
  12. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    12389
    24 Oct '10 04:58
    Originally posted by buckky
    I was born into a Christian family that really never took it seriously. In my teens I began to question Christian doctrine,because it never made sense in so many ways. Later on in my twentys I became involved with Transcendental Meditation and that lasted around seven years before the veil began to lift on that organization. I could never ignore the experien ...[text shortened]... ut the Truth has always been an illusion in the past. I'm very leary now about such things now.
    I agree the search for truth is a lot harder than it sounds, like I said I study 11 religions in search of the truth. Not that your a chirstian, but I will quote my pastor. "Don't trust me, don't trust our bishop, the deacons, or whoever, read it for yourself. So good luck on your search for truth.😉
  13. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49977
    24 Oct '10 04:59
    Originally posted by realeyez
    So what happens after you do die? Is there nothing or does your energy just get dispursed back to the universe? Just curious.
    I can't speak for Agerg, but atheists generally would probably agree that when we die that's it, we're gone.
    Not sure what you mean by 'your energy', but if you mean the stored chemical energy in the atomic bonds of our molecules, then yes, that is given back to the universe.
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 Oct '10 17:381 edit
    Originally posted by realeyez
    So what happens after you do die? Is there nothing or does your energy just get dispursed back to the universe? Just curious.
    See amannions's post above ;]
  15. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    24 Oct '10 17:59
    Originally posted by Agerg
    See amannions's post above ;]
    amannion doesn't know what happens after you die. Unless he has died and come back. 😉
Back to Top