1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 01:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    baked beans in tomato sauce on toast, if you please!
    What you refer to as "baked beans in tomato sauce" (really, how else would you make them) is what is known here as "pork and beans" even though there is practically no pork in them anymore.

And for your information, Heinz is far from the most popular maker of them here.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 01:32
    Originally posted by Agerg
    You're both wrong - it's beans [b]on toast.

How good it is depends on the brand, usually Tesco or Asda medium quality own brand is quite tasty (and the smart-price variants of bread suffice very well) though with the smart price versions of the beans I find there is a slight after-taste not too dissimilar to washing-up liquid.

But yeah - beans on to ...[text shortened]... english breakfast[/b] - we do awesome food, and what do the americans offer!?

Corndogs 😞[/b]
    Come to any Fourth of July barbecue anywhere in this great country and you will know what foods America has to offer.

Certainly not beans on toast.
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 03:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    What you refer to as "baked beans in tomato sauce" (really, how else would you make them) is what is known here as "pork and beans" even though there is practically no pork in them anymore.

And for your information, Heinz is far from the most popular maker of them here.
    The best in my opinion are B&M Baked Beans, and, my Dad brought me up putting olive oil and vinegar on them. They're great.
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 03:49
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Oh right, you justify racism under the guise of sarcasm? Personally I find bigotry offensive whichever way you dress it up, but then I don't take my morals from a book. And no, just that one thing.
    Your refusal or inability to comprehend sarcasm doesn't turn me into a bigot. Sorry to disappoint you... it seems you want me to be one.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 04:36
    You're both wrong - it's beans [b]on toast.

How good it is depends on the brand, usually Tesco or Asda medium quality own brand is quite tasty (and the smart-price variants of bread suffice very well) though with the smart price versions of the beans I find there is a slight after-taste not too dissimilar to washing-up liquid.

But yeah - beans on to ...[text shortened]... english breakfast[/b] - we do awesome food, and what do the americans offer!?

Corndogs 😞[/b]
    Very funny. 😀
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 08:13
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I think someone recently alluded to a Brit-JW composite... if there ever was such a person. I can't even muster the thought without getting a headache and feeling dizzy.

Little known fact: The crappy food that the Brits serve up, is actually made from recipies etched upon bronze tablets discovered by Charles Taze Russell.
    Well known fact: the americans like shooting each other and giving sports stupid names like "American football" (how often do their feet come into contact with the ball!?).
  7. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 08:38
    I think someone recently alluded to a Brit-JW composite... if there ever was such a person. I can't even muster the thought without getting a headache and feeling dizzy.

Little known fact: The crappy food that the Brits serve up, is actually made from recipies etched upon bronze tablets discovered by Charles Taze Russell.
    Sumy
    Bronze tablets? Are you referring to Joseph Smith and the Mormons?
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 18:07
    Your refusal or inability to comprehend sarcasm doesn't turn me into a bigot. Sorry to disappoint you... it seems you want me to be one.
    Honestly? You're happy with the 'I was only joking' defence? I'm afraid that really does tar you as a bigot.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 22:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    baked beans in tomato sauce on toast, if you please!
    not to mention the bangers and mash!!
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 22:49
    Well known fact: the americans like shooting each other and giving sports stupid names like "American football" (how often do their feet come into contact with the ball!?).
    Over we got three "footballs" (prolly more, but 3 major ones).
    1. Australian rules (which is what anyone in Victoria would think you were referring to (The foot actually makes contact with the ball in this one, although the hands are used just as much. This is ver similar to gaelic football ,except they dont use a round ball)

2. Rugby league- This is what someone would think if you found yourself anywhere in Queensland ,although kicking had become a become more a of factor in this sport, the ball is predominately handled, ("passed" to each other,but only backwards in this one)

3. Soccer. Even thought there was a huge campaign recently in various circles to restore soccer to be called "football" once more, it hasn't really worked (not where I am anyway), if anything , it has caused even more confusion as to what people are talking about when they say "football". :0 Funny stuff..
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 00:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Over we got three "footballs" (prolly more, but 3 major ones).
    1. Australian rules (which is what anyone in Victoria would think you were referring to (The foot actually makes contact with the ball in this one, although the hands are used just as much. This is ver similar to gaelic football ,except they dont use a round ball)

2. Rugby league- This i ...[text shortened]... onfusion as to what people are talking about when they say "football". :0 Funny stuff..
    American football is much more exciting than any of the others because
    one can score points by kicking the ball using the foot, throwing the ball
    using the arm and hand, or running with the legs while holding the ball
    with the arm and hand. Butting the ball with the head was not included
    because it is considered a stupid idea by us Americans.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 00:564 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    American football is much more exciting than any of the others because
    one can score points by kicking the ball using the foot, throwing the ball
    using the arm and hand, or running with the legs while holding the ball
    with the arm and hand. Butting the ball with the head was not included
    because it is considered a stupid idea by us Americans.
    You can score in rugby league by scoring a "try" (4points)(the equivalent of a touchdown, the only difference being that in league you actually have to put the ball on the ground ,and not just get it in the in zone), by kicking a penalty goal or a conversion for a "try", worth 2 points, and also a field goal, where the kicker actually has to drop-kick the ball for it to count is worth one point.

You "Gridiron" is a lamer sport for many reasons but three of the main ones are thus :

1. You always have "time outs" which gives your players a chance to have a break-not to mention all the specialized payers that come on and off during this very frequent breaks. This really makes the game boring as there is no flow in a game where the timeout is the norm.

2. you were a heap of protective equipment ,including enourmous helmets, that seem totally ridiculous to me. League player used to wear shoulder pads and nothing else (and not the huge ones you guys wear.) Now they dont even wear them at all. These guys regularly have four guys in a tackle , where four guys just pound this one guy into the dirt, and they play out an 80 minute game with no timeouts. These guys get absolutetly hammered, only to be back and playing again next week. My point being league players are way tougher than American football players.

3. There's not enough ball running in your sport to make interesting.
    And the way they put on a kicker just to kick a point and then just take him off straight away is ludicrous. I like the fact that in our sport , the "player maker" like a half-back will do a lot of field position kicking , and deliver try-scoring passes ,because thats what they are chosen for. But then, they can have a 120Kilogram,pumped up "wrecking ball" of a man running at him , (our little halfback, who would prolly weigh 70-80 kilograms), and this halfback is expected to tackle this huge man running at him at full bore, all by himself. (And in 95% percent of cases he does)

What do you think of them apples?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 01:03
    You can score in rugby league by scoring a "try" (4points)(the equivalent of a touchdown, the only difference being that in league you actually have to put the ball on the ground ,and not just get it in the in zone), by kicking a penalty goal or a conversion for a "try", worth 2 points, and also a field goal, where the kicker actually has to drop-kick t ...[text shortened]... league players are way tougher than American football players.

However they could not hack it in American football, which pays much
    higher wages.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 01:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    However they could not hack it in American football, which pays much
    higher wages.
    Higher wages? what kind of argument is that,huh?
    Dont you know that soccer/football payers get payed the most (although not by much,I admit)?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 01:23
    Higher wages? what kind of argument is that,huh?
    Dont you know that soccer/football payers get payed the most (although not by much,I admit)?
    I am talking about the average salary not someone like David Beckham.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree