1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The intent is not really to attack other Christians, but to inform, so the brothers are not ignorant of the truth, and to correct against false doctrines of demons just as the apostle Paul did in the following examples:
    For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery-- so that you will not be wise in your own estimation-- that a par ...[text shortened]... be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

(1 Timothy 4:1-3 NASB)
    It is one thing to offer instruction; it is quite another to patronize. I would accept spiritual instruction from someone indubitably at a higher spiritual level than myself. I won't be patronized.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

[b]"That's another problem with Christians:"

How would you feel if I said this about atheists? Are all atheists the same?
    [/b]
    This is demonstrably true with Christians. A JW chooses to not believe that Jesus is god. A Catholic chooses to ignore "all have sinned" in order to claim Mary was sinless, or passages that say Jesus had siblings or that Mary waited till after giving birth to have sex, just to keep claiming she was a life-long virgin. Based on your persona here, I would guess that you choose to not believe a woman should be in subjection to her husband, right?

And I can go on and on. The point is that Christians picking and choosing what they'll believe isn't just some sweeping generalization. If you need more evidence, just look at yourself, who has outright refused to show any type of kindness, humility, etc., despite biblical teaching.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 20:28
    Well, you want to talk about best behavior? How do you feel about Googlefudge's stance that I outlined?
    Behaviour is not a competition. Claiming you are not as bad as Googlefudge, doesn't excuse your own bad behaviour. Nor am I excusing my own behaviour by criticizing yours. I am just commenting on the fact that you frequently go overboard and then try to pin the blame for your bad behaviour on others, and I don't think that excuse is a particularly valid one. Yes, we all tend to react in kind to the way we are treated and are more likely to sling insults if insulted, but we should try our best to keep it under control and must share the blame for bad behaviour even if it was provoked.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 20:47
    Originally posted by moonbus
    It is one thing to offer instruction; it is quite another to patronize. I would accept spiritual instruction from someone indubitably at a higher spiritual level than myself. I won't be patronized.
    I provide information. Just because I may know more about the subject than the one to whom I provide the information does not mean they must feel patronized.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 20:53
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is demonstrably true with Christians. A JW chooses to not believe that Jesus is god. A Catholic chooses to ignore "all have sinned" in order to claim Mary was sinless, or passages that say Jesus had siblings or that Mary waited till after giving birth to have sex, just to keep claiming she was a life-long virgin. Based on your persona here, I would ...[text shortened]... ho has outright refused to show any type of kindness, humility, etc., despite biblical teaching.
    I don't know about all that other stuff, but she does refuse to accept Genesis 1 as literal history because she wants to mix Darwinism and billions of years with the truth of scripture. 😏
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 20:59
    I don't know about all that other stuff, but she does refuse to accept Genesis 1 as literal history because she wants to mix Darwinism and billions of years with the truth of scripture. 😏
    I don't even think the chap who wrote Genesis 1 expected it to be taken literally.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 21:04
    Originally posted by Flower04
    Christians feel more under attack because they attack each other. Christians have a tendency to suspect other Christians of not being real believers, not having the correct world view on science, history, education, society, other christian groups like for example catholicism (the "OH! BEWARE-of-pope-Francis!" kind of thing) or the mormon faith etc; in Amer ...[text shortened]... ians. It doesn't look very "Christ-like" to me - isn't that the meaning of the word "Christian"?
    I do feel like there is a struggle going on but it is NOT us *Christians*
    against all the other people! Spiritual warfare has people fighting against
    people, it isn't Christians verses the world it is Satan attempting to take out
    all he can, he does not care one wit about who is on what side or how he
    gets us to hate one another.

From my perspective as a Christian, Jesus Christ is our only hope, he is the
    only place we will have a lasting victory over our own nature, the world
    that has us at odds with God and man, and the devil and his minions.

Political parties, and denominations among other groups just show case
    how divided we are.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 21:051 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I don't even think the chap who wrote Genesis 1 expected it to be taken literally.
    More knowledgable scholars than you and me say it is definitely written as history. So I accept their analysis since it is logical and reasonable to me. 😏
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 23:31
    Christians only attack in this forum as a self-defense after feeling persecuted as I described in my post.

In fact, I've been quite vocal against atheists lately. A while back, I posted that atheists and Christians in this forum should be more willing to see each others' side in the conflict and try to show some respect towards the "other side" because ...[text shortened]... on ground, but when attacked relentlessly, I responded in kind. Plain self-defense, that's all.
    Persecuted? Jesus Christ, that's gotta be 'Hoot #1' for the weekend. You feel 'persecuted' on an online chess forum. I think you need to get a grip. As I've said to you before, have you considered that online discussion/debate forums might not be the arena for you?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:28
    This is what started my current campaign against atheists.
    You have a "campaign against atheists"?
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:311 edit
    I provide information. Just because I may know more about the subject than the one to whom I provide the information does not mean they must feel patronized.
    Matt 7:5

"Remove the plank from your own eye before you trouble yourself about a dust speck in someone else's."
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:36
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Matt 7:5

"Remove the plank from your own eye before you trouble yourself about a dust speck in someone else's."
    However, I am the one with the dust speck. 😏
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:36
    Well, if you must know (you asked), you wouldn't actually know this, but this is about when you came back from some sort of self-administered 'sabbatical' from the forum, and you being you, your natural specific brand of "discussion" stepped it up considerably.

And that's all I'm going to say on this, because I know you won't quit badgering me over it, just like you do with every topic you "chime in" on, because making people uncomfortable is [b]fun for you. And before you beat me to it, yes, being attacked and mercilessly run through the "word wringer" is uncomfortable for me. You know this, and that is why it's "fun" for you. So I'm gonna head it off right now. And no, you don't get to "discuss" it with me. I don't like your type of badgering "discussion". I hope that answers your question. No doubt, you'll claim it doesn't and so you'll keep asking it in another form until it stops being "fun" for you. Sorry, I'm not playing that game any more.

And that kind of crap is precisely what I'm talking about here.

This is just deflection on your part. The thread title is "Why are Christians under attack?" You've made very specific accusations about certain posters alleging that they 1.reversed course 2.stepped up persecution 3.and that it was caused by a particular poster 4. caused by a particular post and 5. started at a particular time and this 'stepped up' persecution has been happening since that time. And when asked to show where these things happened and who you are referring to, you instead just serve up this woolly mixture of ad hominem and refusal to substantiate your accusations.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:41
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I do feel like there is a struggle going on but it is NOT us *Christians*
    against all the other people! Spiritual warfare has people fighting against
    people, it isn't Christians verses the world it is Satan attempting to take out
    all he can, he does not care one wit about who is on what side or how he
    gets us to hate one another.

From my perspective ...[text shortened]... .

Political parties, and denominations among other groups just show case
    how divided we are.
    I think there is a good deal of wisdom in what you say. Ultimately it does not matter to which party one belongs; hatred is the enemy, not this or that sect. I do not, however, see why diversity per se should lead to conflict; it does so only when someone, on some path, thinks that his path is the only one (or the only legitimate one).
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Well, if you must know (you asked), you wouldn't actually know this, but this is about when you came back from some sort of self-administered 'sabbatical' from the forum, and you being you, your natural specific brand of "discussion" stepped it up considerably.

And that's all I'm going to say on this, because I know you won't quit badgering me over it, jus ...[text shortened]... ad just serve up this woolly mixture of ad hominem and refusal to substantiate your accusations.
    There you go badgering again. πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree