1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 02:282 edits
    After He drove out the money changers, overturned tables, and chased away the animals, He taught the inquisitive Jews ...

The Jews then answered and said to Him, What sign do you show us, seeing that you do these things?

Jesus answered and said to them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Then the Jews said, This temple was built in forty-six years, and You will raise it up in three days?

But He spoke of temple of His body. When therefore He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this,

and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken." (John 2:18-22)

Why did Jesus say these things?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 02:55
    Originally posted by @sonship
    After He drove out the money changers, overturned tables, and chased away the animals, He taught the inquisitive Jews ...

[b] The Jews then answered and said to Him, What sign do you show us, seeing that you do these things?

Jesus answered and said to them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Then the Jews said, Thi ...[text shortened]... e word which Jesus had spoken." (John 2:18-22)

Why did Jesus say these things?[/b]
    It’s very interesting that Jesus said, “...and in three days I will raise it up” and not “...and in three days God will raise it up.”

I think this is another instance, though some might consider it ambiguous, where Jesus is identifying Himself as God. Of course, Jesus raised three people from the dead in the Bible, and I believe God’s Holy Spirit, acting through a prophet, raised a widow’s son from the dead in the Old Testament, though I don’t remember the book that took place in (if my memory of it occurring is correct.)
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 03:18
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    It’s very interesting that Jesus said, “...and in three days I will raise it up” and not “...and in three days God will raise it up.”

I think this is another instance, though some might consider it ambiguous, where Jesus is identifying Himself as God. Of course, Jesus raised three people from the dead in the Bible, and I believe God’s Holy Spirit, act ...[text shortened]... , though I don’t remember the book that took place in (if my memory of it occurring is correct.)
    It is interesting and you would think a three-person god would have indeed said “the father will raise it up”. Jesus being a temple, a body of flesh for the essence of god to reside in, is a temporary office.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 03:28
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    It is interesting and you would think a three-person god would have indeed said “the father will raise it up”. Jesus being a temple, a body of flesh for the essence of god to reside in, is a temporary office.
    Jesus Christ has existed eternally. He didn’t come into existence 2,000 years ago.**

As Jesus Himself said, “I and my Father are one.”

(John 10:30)

“I and my Father are one.

Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.”

(John 10:30-33)

** “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.”

(John 1:1-18)
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 03:303 edits
    Jesus Christ has existed eternally. He didn’t come into existence 2,000 years ago.**
    Jesus Christ in the flesh was born in Bethlehem, so his flesh had a beginning and therefore his flesh has an end.

“All things have been handed over to Me by My Father...”
    Philipeans 2:9

However I’m not a trinitarian, I believe that there is one god manifested in three offices. The office of the son will end, as is described in various scriptures when Jesus hands over all authority back to the father.

“Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father...”
    1 Cor 15:22

“When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all”
    1 Cor 15:28

And yet Luke and Isaiah both say “of his (Jesus) reign there shall be no end.

This apparent contradiction is only not a contradiction if there is ONE entity operating in three offices.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 04:021 edit
    Jesus Christ in the flesh was born in Bethlehem, so his flesh had a beginning and therefore his flesh has an end.

However I’m not a trinitarian, I believe that there is one god manifested in three offices. The office of the son will end, as is described in various scriptures ...[text shortened]... ent contradiction is only not a contradiction if there is ONE entity operating in three offices.
    I’ve heard the Trinity likened to an egg (three components - shell, yolk and white stuff - but a single entity) and as H2O (exists as water, ice and water vapor.)

I think the egg analogy is more appropriate but who knows?

I’ll check out those verses you cited later. Thanks for the reference.

If one believes Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross covered the sins of mankind, He had to (obviously) be more than a man. And if He was sinless (which He was,) He could not have had the original sin passed down by males from Adam and so would have had to have been born of a virgin as the prophecy in Isaiah 7:14 said. Jesus could not have been God and also had an earthly (biological) father.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 04:07

However I’m not a trinitarian, I believe that there is one god manifested in three offices. The office of the son will end, as is described in various scriptures ...[text shortened]... ent contradiction is only not a contradiction if there is ONE entity operating in three offices.
    <<Jesus Christ in the flesh was born in Bethlehem, so his flesh had a beginning and therefore his flesh has an end.>>

BTW, I don’t contest this. God is a Spirit and took on human flesh to live among us.

“Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

(Philippians 2:4-11)
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 04:45
    <<Jesus Christ in the flesh was born in Bethlehem, so his flesh had a beginning and therefore his flesh has an end.>>

BTW, I don’t contest this. God is a Spirit and took on human flesh to live among us.

“Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

W ...[text shortened]... ould confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

(Philippians 2:4-11)
    Why do you keep posting copy pasted lists of scriptures at me?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 04:46
    [b]I’ve heard the Trinity likened to an egg (three components - shell, yolk and white stuff - but a single entity) and as H2O (exists as water, ice and water vapor.)
    Are you a trinitarian?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 04:48
    Why do you keep posting copy pasted lists of scriptures at me?
    Don’t you like reading them?

I simply post them as backup.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 04:51
    Are you a trinitarian?
    I’ve honestly never heard that word before, though I’ve obviously heard of the Trinity and know what the Trinity is.

Just so we’re on the same page, could you define what you mean by “trinitarian?” And please don’t say, “Someone who believes in the Trinity” without elaboration.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 05:30
    why do people buy into bullshiit. Look, here is the world, and that is a problem. Kinda want to, w/o the poop.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 05:34
    Originally posted by @apathist
    why do people buy into bullshiit. Look, here is the world, and that is a problem. Kinda want to, w/o the poop.
    I wouldn’t dismiss something as important as whether God exists without investigating it.

Eternity’s a long time
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 05:49
    Don’t you like reading them?

I simply post them as backup.
    Back up for for what, you’re not saying anything substantive, just copy pasting scriptures from a website you’ve found.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 05:511 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Whos the bigger fool, me for posting about stuff I am interested in, or you for being here wasting your pathetic drug infused life away.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree