1. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    1170
    15 Aug '05 00:07
    Nineteenth century writer H.L. Hastings once forcibly illustrated the unique way in which the Bible has withstood the attacks of skepticism:

    "Infidels of eighteen hundred years have been refuting and overthrowing this book, and yet it stands today as solid rock. Its circulation increases, and it is more loved and cherished and read today than ever before. Infidels, with all their assaults, make about as much impression on this book as a man with a tack hammer would on the Pyramids of Egypt.

    "When the French monarch proposed the persecution of Christians in his dominion, an old statesman and warrior said to him, 'Sire, the church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.' So the hammers of infidels have been pecking away at this book for ages, but the hammers are worn out, and the anvil still endures. If this book had not been the book of God, men would have destroyed it long ago. Emperors and popes, kings and priests, princes and rulers have all tried their hand at it; they die and the book still lives."

    "No other book has been so chopped, knived, sifted, scrutinized, and vilified. What book on philosophy or religion or psychology or belles lettres of classical or modern times has been subject to such a mass attack as the Bible? With such venom and skepticism? With such thoroughness and erudition? Upon every chapter, line and tenet? The Bible is still loved by millions, and studied by millions.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    15 Aug '05 00:16
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    Nineteenth century writer H.L. Hastings once forcibly illustrated the unique way in which the Bible has withstood the attacks of skepticism:

    "Infidels of eighteen hundred years have been refuting and overthrowing this book, and yet it stands today as solid rock. Its circulation increases, and it is more loved and cherished and read today than ever be ...[text shortened]... on every chapter, line and tenet? The Bible is still loved by millions, and studied by millions.
    Lots of sex and violence and that stuff always sells.
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    1170
    15 Aug '05 00:24
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Lots of sex and violence and that stuff always sells.
    Yes, but that is what is so cool about the bible....God paints man as he really is...in need of Him.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    15 Aug '05 00:30
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    Yes, but that is what is so cool about the bible....God paints man as he really is...in need of Him.
    Yes that's sooooooooooooooo rad cool.
  5. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    3242
    15 Aug '05 00:38
    I don't think it's the book people hate - it's the destruction, hate and control unleashed in the, purportedly, promotion, honour and defence of the book.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    15 Aug '05 00:42
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    I don't think it's the book people hate - it's the destruction, hate and control unleashed in the, purportedly, promotion, honour and defence of the book.
    rec'd
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    15 Aug '05 00:47
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    Yes, but that is what is so cool about the bible....God paints man as he really is...in need of Him.
    and paints God as a man-hating monster.
  8. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    167
    15 Aug '05 00:57
    i didnt even know a lot of people hate the bible. lol
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    1170
    15 Aug '05 01:04
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    I don't think it's the book people hate - it's the destruction, hate and control unleashed in the, purportedly, promotion, honour and defence of the book.
    Maybe....but I think bible haters don't want the bible to be true...I think it may be one if not their greatest fears. Why? Because then they would be and are held accountable for their sin, the greatest of these would be their rejection of God. They want to be their own God. That was the original temptation from the very beginning. What they will not accept is the fact that God is love and if they submit to Him, He will forgive them and accept them.They do not want to be accountable to their Creator. This as the basic dilemna, and the cause of all human suffering. Sure, they will blame God for this and that, not knowing that God is all good, and that their real enemy is Satan....the destruction, hate and control unleashed is not from God nor true Christians....but as I stated, satan, the great deceiver, who twists the goodness of God and the scriptures, into lies, etc., and are forever throwing doubt in the mix, just like in the beginning...in the end it is not really God punishing or destroying them, but they do this to themselves. It's like a parent telling their children to stay in the yard and play, if you leave you will get hurt.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    15 Aug '05 01:54
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    Maybe....but I think bible haters don't want the bible to be true...I think it may be one if not their greatest fears. Why? Because then they would be and are held accountable for their sin, the greatest of these would be their rejection of God. They want to be their own God. That was the original temptation from the very beginning. What they will not a ...[text shortened]... ke a parent telling their children to stay in the yard and play, if you leave you will get hurt.
    😴😴
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    15 Aug '05 02:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    😴😴
    why is that guy selling. a book he clearly aint read?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    15 Aug '05 03:01
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    Nineteenth century writer H.L. Hastings once forcibly illustrated the unique way in which the Bible has withstood the attacks of skepticism:

    "Infidels of eighteen hundred years have been refuting and overthrowing this book, and yet it stands today as solid rock. Its circulation increases, and it is more loved and cherished and read today than ever be ...[text shortened]... on every chapter, line and tenet? The Bible is still loved by millions, and studied by millions.
    i don't understand what fundies mean when they say the bible has 'withstood' attacks. the general defenses 'goddunnit' and 'the bible is right because it is the bible' can be used until you are blue in the face; you can play that old record until the end of time. you sit in your little grass hut and are just astounded that the winds of adversity have not blown it down; the reality is that you have built an inpenetrable force field of stubborness and intolerance for ideas around your little shack that won't even let it be put to the test. the bible will continue to 'withstand' all attacks for as long as men can parrot indefensible claims. i don't see why you are proud of this fact.
  13. Joined
    10 Jul '05
    Moves
    9801
    15 Aug '05 03:12
    The bible is a beautiful work of fiction, nothing more.
  14. Earth Prime
    Joined
    16 Mar '05
    Moves
    21936
    15 Aug '05 03:34
    Originally posted by Checkmate187
    The bible is a beautiful work of fiction, nothing more.
    Please elaborate. You mean a bunch of guys met together to write it? Otherwise this statement cannot be supported as writings from hundreds of years apart match.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    15 Aug '05 03:44
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    why is that guy selling. a book he clearly aint read?
    I'm sure he read all the verses he was told to read.

    P-
Back to Top