1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 17:56
    Originally posted by Halitose
    C'mon Joe. Do you really believe that selling children into slavery, slaughtering thousands of indiginous people and killing women and children with home made bombs are part and parcel of the Christian religion? Then I'm gonna start heralding Stalin, Mao, Lenin, Hitler and Pot as the champions of atheism. But that's not gonna get us anywhere is it?
    Wait.. are you saying Christians don't kill? You really do need to read it all.

P-
  2. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 17:59
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Whoa Dude!

I thought we were talking about intellectual attacks on the validity of the Bible. Some early believers got a bunch of documents together and found them to be so special that they decided they must be inspired by God. This idea has been held up by many others over time.

In the meantime, others who did not find these papers so special ...[text shortened]... t such a walk in the park; it demands more introspection and hard honesty than anybody wants.
    I thought we were talking about intellectual attacks on the validity of the Bible. Some early believers got a bunch of documents together and found them to be so special that they decided they must be inspired by God. This idea has been held up by many others over time.

I don’t question that but my point is that there have been many holy books that have been “inspired by God” that have also held up over time.

In the meantime, others who did not find these papers so special found reason to 'attack' the original claimant's conclusion. I'm simply saying that the argument for inspiration wins.

LOL!!! Yeah like the victims of the Spanish Inquisition. Wow, that was inspiring.

As far as the crusades go, they have long been repented of. Yes, many many people have done many horrible things in the name of Christ. According to Jesus Himself, these are not true believers; they do not represent Christ, as believers are called upon to do. I expect these verses below have already been applied to many crusaders when they died.

Okay so now that makes everything okay now that these verses have been applied?

Don't fault me for finding all religions irreconcilable, by the way, because they can't all be all true.

First of all, please show me the conclusive proof that all of the religions of the world cannot be true? I know because the Bible and other books say so which I reject.

And what's this about being cowards? What did I say to that effect?
    And are you saying that suicide bombing is more a sign of courage than of anything else?

Reread my post and the subsequent ones I have posted after that.

I guess, now that you mention it, that it does take some guts to really give God a chance to show Himself in your life. Becoming a Christian is as easy as inviting Jesus into your life. Living as a Christian is not such a walk in the park; it demands more introspection and hard honesty than anybody wants.

Thanks for proving my point, again. The rest of us “cowards” stand in awe of your heroic Christianity while we mince around in our less introspective and feeble dishonesty.
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    You've missed my point entirely. The first words out of my mouth is that I think they are whacko. Chinking wrote:

[b]Most importantly, it is the tests of individuals who are sincere and bold enough to say, "Ok, I will direct my life ...[text shortened]... oxymoron) who is just trying to live their life without ridicule.
    Ok, now I see where you got the idea I was calling some people 'cowards'.

Well, I guess I'd better come clean Joe. I do think that insincerity is one of the problems that inhibits general folks from investigating the claims of Christ. Sometimes it's a simple intellectual problem; like they have been told that Jesus never even lived historically, and believed that silly idea. But sometimes they have a moral dilemna; they know if they accept Christ they will have to give up some pet sin (knowing already that it's wrong, but harboring it anyway). And so someone like that may choose to live with the hypocrisy, or the insincerity, in order to preserve their freedom to sin. You can see how being too 'timid' to face the truth they already know can play a part.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:011 edit
    You've missed my point entirely. The first words out of my mouth is that I think they are whacko. Chinking wrote:

[b]Most importantly, it is the tests of individuals who are sincere and bold enough to say, "Ok, I will direct my life ...[text shortened]... oxymoron) who is just trying to live their life without ridicule.
    [/b]Your mention of homosexuality sparked my interest. I would agree with you that the stigmatisation associated with homosexuality is deplorable, but I personally know homosexuals who have been saved from it.

By "saved" I mean changed their sexual preference through a life changing meeting with Christ.
  5. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:03
    Your mention of homosexuality sparked my interest. I would agree with you that the stigmatisation associated with homosexuality is deplorable, but I personally know homosexuals who have been saved from it.

By "saved" I mean changed their sexual preference through a life changing meeting with Christ.

Whats up with all this BOLD posting..?
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:05
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    Read what all?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:06
    Originally posted by Peachy

Whats up with all this [b]BOLD
    posting..?[/b]
    Sorry. My mistake. Fixed it. Happy now?
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:11
    Then I'm gonna start heralding Stalin, Mao, Lenin, Hitler and Pot as the champions of atheism. But that's not gonna get us anywhere is it?
    Hitler was a big-C Christian, skippy.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:11
    Ut oh, someone is getting defensive....

P-
  10. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:12
    [b]I thought we were talking about intellectual attacks on the validity of the Bible. Some early believers got a bunch of documents together and found them to be so special that they decided they must be inspired by God. This idea has been held up by many others over time.

I don’t question that but my point is that there have been many holy books tha ...[text shortened]... our heroic Christianity while we mince around in our less introspective and feeble dishonesty.
    [/b]
    I don’t question that but my point is that there have been many holy books that have been “inspired by God” that have also held up over time.

If you find a book that you believe is 'inspired by God' you should certainly follow its teachings. I just think that the Bible is more 'holdupable' than others.

I'm not saying that the victims of the Spanish Inquisition were inspired. I'm admitting that they were cruelly murdered. God inspires. Man, often, destroys

Yes, in fact, God's judgement does make everything right. Do you understand what it means to 'apply' the verse in question? This would be Jesus making it clear to the murderers of the crusades, that they are going to hell. Remember, those who died in the crusades, who were in line with God's will, went to heaven. Those who did the murdering outside of God's will went to hell. What more do you want?
  11. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:13

Delirious..

thanks! 🙂
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:14
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Sometimes it's a simple intellectual problem; like they have been told that Jesus never even lived historically, and believed that silly idea.
    You are deluded. You've been 'told' he DID live historically, over and over and over again, until you believe it without question. Can you prove it?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:15
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    Are you talking about the news headlines of 11 September 2001?
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:16
    Originally posted by David C
    Hitler was a big-C Christian, skippy.
    Oh. And please have a bit more proof that his flirtation with the religious right to get their votes.
  15. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:17
    Just a thought. If all of their books were burnt, what proof do you have that they had any books in the first place and that it was true Christians that burned 'em?
    Argh.

You Jesusbots need to get out of the pews more.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree