Why do so many hate the Bible?

Why do so many hate the Bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Aug 05

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Ut oh, someone is getting defensive....

P-
Sure. I just want to figure out the ring before I jump in. I just wasn't sure what you were on about. Still not sure.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Aug 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Are you talking about the news headlines of 11 September 2001?
That was a stupid thing to say... but not your first.

P-

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Aug 05

Originally posted by chinking58
[b]I don’t question that but my point is that there have been many holy books that have been “inspired by God” that have also held up over time.

If you find a book that you believe is 'inspired by God' you should certainly follow its teachings. I just think that the Bible is more 'holdupable' than others.

I'm not saying that the victims o ...[text shortened]... eaven. Those who did the murdering outside of God's will went to hell. What more do you want?[/b]
Arguing that the bible is "inspired by god" is a waste of time unless you can establish that god exists in the first place. You cannot do so. When you can satisfactorily prove god's existence, then I'll be willing to consider whether the bible is inspired by him. Until then, I must doubt the claim.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
15 Aug 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Oh. And please have a bit more proof that his flirtation with the religious right to get their votes.
http://www.nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm

I'm sure you'll just call it 'anti-christian propoganda', though.

c

Moves
15 Aug 05

Originally posted by rwingett
Arguing that the bible is "inspired by god" is a waste of time unless you can establish that god exists in the first place. You cannot do so. When you can satisfactorily prove god's existence, then I'll be willing to consider whether the bible is inspired by him. Until then, I must doubt the claim.
Yes, any discussion of God inspiring must start with the agreement that He exists. But we can't hold back on every topic until we're all on that page!

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by David C
http://www.nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm

I'm sure you'll just call it 'anti-christian propoganda', though.
Anti-Christian propaganda. Herr Hitler the Heretic. 😛 Crazy Individual. Take your pick.

Even without Hitler, there are still a lot of people who did a lot of killing with atheist convictions. Don't get me wrong. By that I'm not saying that all atheists aspire towards genocide, but if you want to start a name calling contest count me in.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Aug 05

Originally posted by chinking58
Yes, any discussion of God inspiring must start with the agreement that He exists. But we can't hold back on every topic until we're all on [b]that page!

[/b]
So you're going to believe that the bible is inspired by god even thought god may not exist at all? Is that the gist of it?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Aug 05

Anti-Christian propaganda. Herr Hitler the Heretic. 😛 Crazy Individual. Take your pick.

Even without Hitler, there are still a lot of people who did a lot of killing with atheist convictions. Don't get me wrong. By that I'm not saying that all atheists aspire towards genocide, but if you want to start a name calling contest count me in.
Tell me, what convictions do atheists have?

c

Moves
15 Aug 05

So you're going to believe that the bible is inspired by god even thought god may not exist at all? Is that the gist of it?
No sir. I'm moving on from my conviction that God exists, and that He inspired the Bible, and I am practicing the applications found therein, even though you don't believe He exists. Is that ok?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Aug 05

Tell me, what convictions do atheists have?
That god doesn't exist.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Aug 05

That god doesn't exist.
And from that premise, you can't blame some individuals from doing what they like or feel is right, can you?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Aug 05

And from that premise, you can't blame some individuals from doing what they like or feel is right, can you?
Huh?

First of all, atheists do not claim that god does not exist. How could they know? What they claim is that the theist has failed to prove his claim that god does exist, and therefore the claim can be given no credence. That does not in any way translate into a belief in god's non-existence.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Aug 05

Huh?

First of all, atheists do not claim that god does not exist. How could they know? What they claim is that the theist has failed to prove his claim that god [b]does
exist, and therefore the claim can be given no credence. That does not in any way translate into a belief in god's non-existence. [/b]
Aren't you shifting the burden of proof? But even so. If you believe that sufficient proof has not been given for the existance of God, then surely everybody is free to do what they think good, to the best of their personal interpretation of "good". Then Stalin who said the death of one is a tragedy while the death of millions is a statistic, was possibly also only working off this premise that he hadn't seen sufficient proof for the existance of God. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that all atheists are Stalin's. It just doesn't take too much imagination (and a bit of Marx) to get to his degulagisation.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Aug 05
1 edit

I asked them. They weren't very responsive.

Just a thought. If all of their books were burnt, what proof do you have that they had any books in the first place and that it was true Christians that burned 'em?
LMAO!!!! This is why I try to avoid "debates" with you religious fanatics; you're either insufferably stupid or so set in your preconceived ideas a thought cannot reach you. We know the Mayans had books and we know that Christians burned them because we have documents from that very time where the burners described burning these "heathen" and "unholy" books. They were quite proud of doing God's work in this manner. I'll ignore the "true" Christians part; neither you or I know if there is such a thing nor are we cpable of judging whether these individuals were "true" Christians or not. This is a dodge you fantics always pull out whenever it is shown that Christians committed atrocities.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Aug 05

Aren't you shifting the burden of proof? But even so. If you believe that sufficient proof has not been given for the existance of God, then surely everybody is free to do what they think good, to the best of their personal interpretation of "good". Then Stalin who said the death of one is a tragedy while the death of millions is a statistic, was possibl ...[text shortened]... It just doesn't take too much imagination (and a bit of Marx) to get to his degulagisation.
This idiotic premise i.e. that an atheist or agnostic doesn't believe in any moral code has been debunked soooooooooooo many times in these pages that you could probably randomly pick a thread and page and see it demolished.