Why does God allow evil?

Why does God allow evil?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
why do you allow evil?
Well I'd stop it if I could.
However, regardless of my debating skills (& knowing most Morra gambit lines up to move 9 or 10) I am not omnipitant.

E

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Well I'd stop it if I could.
However, regardless of my debating skills (& knowing most Morra gambit lines up to move 9 or 10) I am not omnipitant.
so do you really believe God can sort out the bad and the good of the billions of people and save all the good people? think of how much time that would be, he would either have to punish everyone or let it go on. nobody likes to be punished for something they didnt do so i like the way he's doing it.

S

Moves
03 Dec 06

so do you really believe God can sort out the bad and the good of the billions of people and save all the good people? think of how much time that would be, he would either have to punish everyone or let it go on. nobody likes to be punished for something they didnt do so i like the way he's doing it.
Do you believe that God has limits to what He can & can't do?
Have a little think before posting a reply.

Welcome to the wonderful world of atheism!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
03 Dec 06

What a load of crap. It's your bunch continually telling us that God exists outside of time. Otherwise, the theists explanations of the big bang and everything else are seriously contradictory. Do you think that God has a limited "speed" with which he can work? Is he constrained by the speed of light? Or can he work infinitely fast, thus your "problem" is resolved?

E

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
What a load of crap. It's your bunch continually telling us that God exists outside of time.
its your bunch of athiests that piss me off.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
03 Dec 06

its your bunch of athiests that piss me off.
Stunning rebuttal. What an amazing feat of logic that was. Sorry, EV, but the theists have to be consistent. If God exists outside of time, why are you worried about time?

E

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Stunning rebuttal. What an amazing feat of logic that was. Sorry, EV, but the theists have to be consistent. If God exists outside of time, why are you worried about time?
so what do you think? god stops time while he does his work?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
03 Dec 06

Stop being a dickhead.
You know what he thinks.

God doesn't exist.

E

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by amannion
Stop being a dickhead.
You know what he thinks.

God doesn't exist.
youre a tough guy on the internet

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
03 Dec 06

youre a tough guy on the internet
?

E

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by amannion
?
im just saying, you would get beat up calling somebody a dick head in real life

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
03 Dec 06

im just saying, you would get beat up calling somebody a dick head in real life
Maybe where you live.
Here it's a joke - never meant in a harsh way.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
03 Dec 06

Why are you concerned about time at all? Surely an omnipotent God could do the work infinitely fast. He wouldn't even be constrained by time, since, apparently (according to most theists on this site), time doesn't exist for God - it is merely a property of the universe, of which God is not.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Is it because He is:
a) Only omnipitent on weekdays & cannot stop evil
or maybe
b) Is all powerful but allows suffering & is therefore not benevolent?

Also, presumably God created evil. If so, why should we suffer for His sins?
Why do you equate evil with sin and suffering? All three are different concepts.

Your question about suffering was addressed in the Beauty thread. What I and Knighmeister both explained was the idea (of kenosis, and Tzimtzum) that God steps back from creation and contracts His infinitude in order to allow creation to exist independent of Him. The reason behind this, is that if God manifested His entire existence in creation, and exercised his omnipotence totally, creation would be swallowed up by His presence. The consequence is that evil is created. But this is does not imply an active creation by God, but a passive one that indirectly follows from His contraction.

These are not necassarily my own opinions, but they are very popular defenses.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by Conrau K
Why do you equate evil with sin and suffering? All three are different concepts.

Your question about suffering was addressed in the Beauty thread. What I and Knighmeister both explained was the idea (of kenosis, and Tzimtzum) that God steps back from creation and contracts His infinitude in order to allow creation to exist independent of Him. The reason ...[text shortened]... contraction.

These are not necassarily my own opinions, but they are very popular defenses.
And again, fallacious, due to his omnipresent nature. Of course, I could also argue its fallaciousness with respect to God's supposed omnibenevolence (i.e. how can an omnibenevolent, omnipotent creator just sit there and watch evil things happen).