1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:19
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Oh, Reverend, I'm glad you came by. You are an expert on kook preachers. Can you vouch for the authenticity of this one?
    Indeed I can. I have not met personally wit this bunch from Kansas, but I have met, actually, been acosted by people of like mindset. Occasionally I try to educate about these types wit an Ivory Tower thread such as the "Deliver me, Jesus" thread. It's a brutal world out there.

I have come to the conclusion that the hallmark of fundamentalism in its sickest forms is a lack of humor. So, contrary to the belief that the Kansas church is a spoof, they are entirely serious.
  2. Meddling with things
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:20
    Originally posted by buckky
    Forget the Church. People do want the Truth, but that is one hard thing to come by in our situation. We have no spiritual beings to commune with other than through faith, and that can get confusing. Look at all the different Faiths. All claiming to have the Truth. One mans religion is another mans cult. It's a true mess on earth trying to deal with the spiritual need. The Truth I feel is beyond us at this stage.
    forget the church, forget the Truth (should that be the TRUTH(tm)?) People want biscuits and chocolate.
  3. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:17
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]It is always a good idea to keep the enemy in sight.

And Christians are the "enemy" because ... ?[/b]
    Let me count the ways... too, too many...

... mostly it is the arrogance and sense of entitlement of your mainstream christian population, imho.

Without even getting into the diddle your neighbour, make a buck evangelical types... TV brain-toasters busy making money off the elderly, gullible and lonely hearts of so many alienated people?

I think it's the collusion between the media, the church, the state and - nowadays - major corporations that keep people alienated - afraid and ignorant and suckers for whoever comes along and promises them happiness for a "donation" of only $9.99 - not to mention a white leatherette bible with personally autographed photographs of jesus christ our lord and saviour.
  4. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:28
    Originally posted by widget
    Let me count the ways... too, too many...

... mostly it is the arrogance and sense of entitlement of your mainstream christian population, imho.

Without even getting into the diddle your neighbour, make a buck evangelical types... TV brain-toasters busy making money off the elderly, gullible and lonely hearts of so many alienated people?

I think it ...[text shortened]... leatherette bible with personally autographed photographs of jesus christ our lord and saviour.

I wonder if mainstream American Evangelical Christianity is the only form of Christianity many posters in this forum have ever encountered.

I think it's the collusion between the media, the church, the state and - nowadays - major corporations

The Media and the Church? If you believed the mainstream media, every Catholic priest you run into is a child molester.
  5. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:41
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]Without even getting into the diddle your neighbour, make a buck evangelical types... TV brain-toasters busy making money off the elderly, gullible and lonely hearts of so many alienated people?

I wonder if mainstream American Evangelical Christianity is the only form of Christianity many posters in this forum have ever encountered.

I ...[text shortened]... h? If you believed the mainstream media, every Catholic priest you run into is a child molester.
    Let's take the high road and avoid that discussion. Please. Get a grip!

You may be right about the evangelical/tv exposure being many posters primary take on christianity. It would explain the completely my-country-right-or-wrong kind of responses that so many promising threads devolve into - on the one hand... and the Mr.Baiter-baiters - on the other hand.

If you don't think Bush, the media and the church are in bed on saving the world for Exxon and more bucks for everybody driving that particular bus, we can just close this particular digression off right about here.

I know some stellar christians, some very nice bahai, some great wiccans, even a few kindly atheists and agnostics, muslims, zoroastrians, etc.... truly religious people seem to me to transcend the texts... sometimes I think it takes organized religion to lead the spiritually inclined to holy water - but it can't oblige them to drink at the fountain of ecstatic experience that seems to bubble out of folks who find grace through whatever everyday "religious" doorway.
  6. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 11:12
    Pastor Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/purpose.html
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/faq.html
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/fags/fag.html
    Would you really call these people Christains? Their ideals are Christain ideals, but their methods and words are not. Protesting at the funeral of a murdred homosexual is an irresponsible publicity stunt, and not Christain behaviour.

As lucifershammer said, this is probubly the only form of "Christainity" that most American's have met. The pharisees of our time, building their faith on rules and regulations. 'You must do this', 'You can't do that'. sure you can, you shouldn't and you should try not too, but God forgives! if you do it and you are sorry, just ask him to forgive and he shan't condem you.

Jesus Saves is just a saying to them, it lacks meaning in their little world of hate and predudice. 🙂
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 11:19
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Because they corrupt the youth and increase the amount of hate in the world.
    Can u prove it?
  8. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 12:10
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Can u prove it?
    Don't the 'godhatesfags' sites, as referred to in the previous zillion posts, prove this point?
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 15:36
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Don't the 'godhatesfags' sites, as referred to in the previous zillion posts, prove this point?
    well, no. the post that bbarr was referring to was talking about Christains, and would you call the makers of said site Christains? And if so, then your perception of Christianity is a tad warped...
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 15:38
    Originally posted by genius
    well, no. the post that bbarr was referring to was talking about Christains, and would you call the makers of said site Christains? And if so, then your perception of Christianity is a tad warped...
    More like the Christians the perception is based on are warped.
  11. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 16:151 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    More like the Christians the perception is based on are warped.
    well, yes, but those who base their opinions soely on those are also warped. how can you judge a tree by it's fruit if you are only looking at a rotted branch?
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 16:21
    well, yes, but those who base their opinions soely on those are also warped. how can you judge a tree by it's fruit if you are only looking at a rotted branch?
    How do you know which branches are rotten?
  13. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 16:40
    How do you know which branches are rotten?
    judge not lest ye be judged 🙂

my metaphor was far too harsh (for want of a better word) and i wasn't sure whether to use it. i don't fully beleive it, but i think it makes my point. again i vaguely judge to make a point:

how do you know which brances are rotten? well, those which preach love by practice hate.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 16:52

how do you know which brances are rotten? well, those which preach love by practice hate.
    Are all hypocritical branches rotten, or just that variety?
  15. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 19:10
    judge not lest ye be judged 🙂

my metaphor was far too harsh (for want of a better word) and i wasn't sure whether to use it. i don't fully beleive it, but i think it makes my point. again i vaguely judge to make a point:

Kinda circular logic there.

The proposition was that christianity increases the amount of hate in the world. An example was cited.

The defence seems to be 'but these people aren't christians - we know that because they preach hate'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree