1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Joined
    12 Mar '02
    Moves
    15128
    22 Sep '05 11:133 edits
    this week is freshers week in st andrews, and the CU is heavily advertising it's many events, from grub crawls (a three course meal, with each course at a different persons house) to a caleigh (traditional, lively, scottish dancing). Every hall's Link Group (a vague kind of bible study, get to know the other christians in your hall and do stuff together group) is putting on events, and through these events people are going to the CU ones, in full knowledge that these are, well, events put on by Christains (although definatly not solely for Christains). last night at the caleigh we had over 400 people, many of whome did not come from Christain backgrounds and knew very little about God. they came along wanting to learn more!

    i suppose what i am trying to say here is that there is a significant percentage of the population that has still not been reached by the church. they have not really been given ample opportunity to lean about the grace of God, and his sacrafice for us.

    people, we need to evangelise! and it works, evangelism. because, no matter how some people beleive that "religion is so dumb", there is a (please excuse the cliche) God shaped hole in everybody's heart. why are people so intrested in religion? because it is the truth, and people yearn for the truth. and because God loves them.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    22 Sep '05 11:20
    Originally posted by genius
    i suppose what i am trying to say here is that there is a significant percentage of the population that has still not been reached by the church. they have not really been given ample opportunity to lean about the grace of God, and his sacrafice for us.
    Thank god!
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    22 Sep '05 11:35
    Originally posted by genius
    people, we need to evangelise! and it works, evangelism. because, no matter how some people beleive that "religion is so dumb", there is a (please excuse the cliche) God shaped hole in everybody's heart. why are people so intrested in religion? because it is the truth, and people yearn for the truth. and because God loves them.
    lol. L. Ron Hubbard would be proud! You've been truly brainwashed.
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Joined
    06 Jan '04
    Moves
    171019
    22 Sep '05 12:162 edits
    What's a caleigh?

    Or is it just an illustration of the fact that a significant percentage of the population have not yet been reached by the ability to spell?
  5. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Joined
    29 Jan '02
    Moves
    271457
    22 Sep '05 13:05
    ...there is a (please excuse the cliche) God shaped hole in everybody's heart

    Ignoring - if only for a moment - the gaping arrogance and addressing the title question: Maybe everyone who posts in a spiritual forum has some kind of vague interest in religion? Even if it is only: What kind of lame excuse will these christians come up with next for their rude and arrogant assumptions?

    It is always a good idea to keep the enemy in sight.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    22 Sep '05 13:08
    Originally posted by widget
    It is always a good idea to keep the enemy in sight.[/b]
    I always keep a mirror handy.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    22 Sep '05 13:11
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I always keep a mirror handy.
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head ;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    22 Sep '05 13:13
    Originally posted by Starrman

    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    I'm also afraid of my own shadow it's true.
  9. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36063
    22 Sep '05 14:11
    Originally posted by widget
    [b]...there is a (please excuse the cliche) God shaped hole in everybody's heart

    Ignoring - if only for a moment - the gaping arrogance and addressing the title question: Maybe everyone who posts in a spiritual forum has some kind of vague interest in religion? Even if it is only: What kind of lame excuse will these christians come up with next for ...[text shortened]... eir rude and arrogant assumptions?

    It is always a good idea to keep the enemy in sight.[/b][/b]
    It is always a good idea to keep the enemy in sight.

    And Christians are the "enemy" because ... ?
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Joined
    12 Mar '02
    Moves
    15128
    22 Sep '05 15:24
    Originally posted by Redmike
    What's a caleigh?

    Or is it just an illustration of the fact that a significant percentage of the population have not yet been reached by the ability to spell?
    i wasn't quite sure, so i typed it into word and that's what it came up with...
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Joined
    14 Jun '02
    Moves
    17381
    22 Sep '05 15:56
    Originally posted by genius
    people, we need to evangelise! and it works, evangelism. because, no matter how some people beleive that "religion is so dumb", there is a (please excuse the cliche) God shaped hole in everybody's heart. why are people so intrested in religion? because it is the truth, and people yearn for the truth. and because God loves them.
    That "God-shaped-hole" is just my left ventricle.
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Joined
    14 Jun '02
    Moves
    17381
    22 Sep '05 15:57
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]It is always a good idea to keep the enemy in sight.

    And Christians are the "enemy" because ... ?[/b]
    Because they corrupt the youth and increase the amount of hate in the world.
  13. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    110425
    22 Sep '05 15:58
    Originally posted by genius
    why are people so intrested in religion? because it is the truth, and people yearn for the truth.
    More accurately, only a small percentage (if any!) of the world's religions are the truth, and the rest are false.
  14. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36063
    22 Sep '05 16:02
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Because they corrupt the youth and increase the amount of hate in the world.
    Specific instances of "increasing the amount of hate"?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    22 Sep '05 16:053 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Specific instances of "increasing the amount of hate"?
    Pastor Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church:

    http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/purpose.html
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/faq.html
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/fags/fag.html
Back to Top