1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 16:39
    Why such a perverted concept? Why would a god wish something like that on humanity?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 16:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why such a perverted concept? Why would a god wish something like that on humanity?
    its not required and he doesn't.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 16:50
    It is largely perpetuated by parents using it as a threat for small children. Many such parents do not believe it exists but nevertheless still tell their children about it - similar to the threat of Father Christmas keeping a list.
    Sadly, a percentage of the children grow up believing what they are told.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:23
    Dualism has been an important element of many religions.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:44
    Well in christianity I don't think he wish it on us, because it says that he is not willing that any should parish but come to repentance.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:45
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Well in christianity I don't think he wish it on us, because it says that he is not willing that any should parish but come to repentance.
    Can you repent after you get to hell?
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is largely perpetuated by parents using it as a threat for small children. Many such parents do not believe it exists but nevertheless still tell their children about it - similar to the threat of Father Christmas keeping a list.
    I will be one of those parents that tells my child satna is not real. And how I will prove it is not have any gifts from santa.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:47
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Can you repent after you get to hell?
    Probably not. Why take the chance?
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:53
    You said that god wants us all to come to repentance. He doesn't care if you come to repentance after a couple years in hell even if you truly and sincerely repent?
  10. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Parents are indoctrinated by their Church. According to the catholic church children are born in sin and have to be paedobaptized to avoid disaster. According to Augustin they were going to hell. Later the Church changed this doctrine: not baptized children were going to limbo, a waiting room where God decides at leisure what to do with such a being. It is only a few years ago that the pope decided that not yet baptized babies go directly to heaven.

the believe in hell arose in the third century. At the time that Christians were thrown before the lions they developed the revengeful idea that their tormentors would be punished by eternal fire. Later hell became the place for all people that did damage to the church.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 17:59
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You said that god wants us all to come to repentance. He doesn't care if you come to repentance after a couple years in hell even if you truly and sincerely repent?
    if you read luke 16 you will see you don't have a second chance, so therefore don't take the risk. Your sins are not cover by Jesus so you can't make it to heaven.
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 18:01
    Why would a 'god' take the chance that you will not repent if that 'god' doesn't want you to fail to repent and is all-powerful so can avoid the risk of you not repenting?
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 18:30
    if you read luke 16 you will see you don't have a second chance, so therefore don't take the risk. Your sins are not cover by Jesus so you can't make it to heaven.
    My sins aren't covered by jesus, but they are covered under my state farm insurance policy.

Aren't you taking the chance that other religions aren't right? Why take that risk?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 18:41
    Originally posted by souverein
    Parents are indoctrinated by their Church.
    Yes that is true, though as I pointed out, many parents still perpetuate the claim even when they don't believe it themselves.

Also, Church leaders act very much like parents in that they tell their flock things they do not believe themselves but that they believe will result in preferred behavior. It must be noted that 'preferred behavior' is what is desired by the Church leader / parent, not necessarily what is best for the child / flock.
  15. St. Peter's
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 19:26
    where else would we tell people to go to when we get mad at them?😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree