1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 19:29
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Why would a 'god' take the chance that you will not repent if that 'god' doesn't want you to fail to repent and is all-powerful so can avoid the risk of you not repenting?
    Well before the flood he gave people 100 years from when noah started to build the ark.
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 19:31
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    My sins aren't covered by jesus, but they are covered under my state farm insurance policy.

Aren't you taking the chance that other religions aren't right? Why take that risk?
    well from expierencing the pwoer of the holy spirit I would rather take the risk that being a follower of christ I am wrong then a follow of budda or muslim or anything else.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 19:53
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You said that god wants us all to come to repentance. He doesn't care if you come to repentance after a couple years in hell even if you truly and sincerely repent?
    This is the same argument as "If he wants me to believe in him, why doesn't he show himself?"

It's not a test of intelligence, it's a test of faith.

Naturally, this involves some measure of humility, and that's where most people fail.

Much like "people in hell want ice water, too", I'm pretty sure that people in hell will also truly and sincerely want to repent. But just like the Super Bowl, you can't make your bet after the game is over.

He does want us all to come to repentance. That's why you are given plenty of time to make your decision. But life is short, and sometimes shorter than we had planned. That's why making the choice now is so important.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 20:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Much like "people in hell want ice water, too", I'm pretty sure that people in hell will also truly and sincerely want to repent. But just like the Super Bowl, you can't make your bet after the game is over.
    So God is a bookie?

Why the limited time period? Why the 'test of faith'? And most importantly with regards to this thread, why the apparent punishment for failing the test?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 20:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So God is a bookie?

Why the limited time period? Why the 'test of faith'? And most importantly with regards to this thread, why the apparent punishment for failing the test?
    The "limited" time period is one's whole life. You could call that limited if you want, I guess. Most people find it is time enough to decide.

The punishment is not for failing the test of faith. The punishment is for sin. Sin is abhorrent to God, and it requires a price. God sent His Son to earth to pay for your sin in your stead. If you reject that gift, then the price of sin still must be paid.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 20:14
    So God is a bookie?
    I suppose you could make that analogy. The only difference is that this is a sure bet. You won't get that from any earthly bookie.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 20:37
    This is the same argument as "If he wants me to believe in him, why doesn't he show himself?"

It's not a test of intelligence, it's a test of faith.

Naturally, this involves some measure of humility, and that's where most people fail.

Much like "people in hell want ice water, too", I'm pretty sure that people in hell will also truly and sincerely w ...[text shortened]... imes shorter than we had planned. That's why making the choice now is so important.
    YouTube

This man might have died without Jesus?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 20:57
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30lT5cflTw

This man might have died without Jesus?
    But he didn't.

There's still time for him.

Not sure what you're asking.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 21:062 edits
    But he didn't.

There's still time for him.

Not sure what you're asking.
    no he did die. I get e-mails from Way of the master and they said he died.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 21:11
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    no he did die. I get e-mials from Way of the master and they said he died.
    Well, as the interviewer said, "You're a nice guy, I don't want to see you get what you deserve".

It was his choice. Ultimately, that is what free will is all about.

Sure, you might say it was a completely uninformed choice. But the interviewer tried to inform the man and was rebuffed. Who knows how many others tried to educate this man. If he died without Jesus, it was his choice.
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 21:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why such a perverted concept? Why would a god wish something like that on humanity?
    If Hell doesn't exist, then why the Hell do we always mention it?
    Hell of a question. 😛
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why such a perverted concept? Why would a god wish something like that on humanity?
    To keep the masses in check (in fear). Simple, gay answer, I know, but thats about it, wouldn't you say? If criminals had nothing to fear in the afterlife they may commit more crime and other such indoctrination techniques,blah,blah... (I'm lazy)
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:08
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Dualism has been an important element of many religions.
    More than just important. Integral.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:32
    Yes that is true, though as I pointed out, many parents still perpetuate the claim even when they don't believe it themselves.

Also, Church leaders act very much like parents in that they tell their flock things they do not believe themselves but that they believe will result in preferred behavior. It must be noted that 'preferred behavior' is what is desired by the Church leader / parent, not necessarily what is best for the child / flock.
    Quite right. Many parents perpetuate the myth to their children, despite not belieiveing it themselves.
    Why would you bother?
    I told my 4 and a ahlf year old that santa was not real. Everyone around him was like "Whats santa bringing you?",ad nauseum.

Little did they know that I had already told my son that santa was just his mum and me . Of course it made sense to him.He worked it out, at his age, very quickly too , that parents sneaking pressies under the tree on xmas eve was a way more plausible explanation than this fat man going to everyhouse on the one night 🙄

Hard working parents, doing those extra hours to make a special dinner and maybe get that special bike for little Jimmy, because Jimmy improved so much on his academic results this term.
    Shouldn't this type of parent get some acknowledgement and feel apart of the process of giving and recieving?, rather than the pressies being attributed to a false entity who seems to steal energy and give nothing back.
    An entity that is portrayed the world over in supermarket malls around December, an entity that parents dont mind leatting their kids think its real, when they are toddlers- 5 pr 6 years old, just before the age of reason.
    I'm very vigilante with my kids in teaching them that much of tv is make believe , and until they understand this, (age of reason), then there is potentially bad forces at work in the immature mind of the child. I think thats why they have no ads during childrens programs in Denmark,(or scandenavia?), anyway, they dont give a crap here in Australia.If anything , its getting ramped up. and pay tv is no better, it has ads too.
  15. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    To keep the masses in check (in fear). Simple, gay answer, I know, but thats about it, wouldn't you say? If criminals had nothing to fear in the afterlife they may commit more crime and other such indoctrination techniques,blah,blah... (I'm lazy)
    it is funny that you say gay. if you were around my atheist cousin he would say i have gay friends don't uses that. LOL.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree