1. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '11 08:27
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    An agreement is just, providing that is what it is, if you are being forced into something that really isn't an agreement now is it? While choices are offered and offers are accepted are in play, yes I think an agreement is just.
    I see you are a capitalist. I am not.
    You seem to be totally ignoring the fact that alternative choices does not equal better alternative choices.
    If I offered you fifty ways to die, would that make dying fair because you got to choose?
    Does the robber who says "your money or your life" therefore make the agreement you eventually strike with him a fair one?

Look at what the minimum wage has done in America, a lot of small businesses now
    will not hire someone with no skills so they can train them in a craft, instead they
    want someone who knows their jobs already, the minimum wage has priced out of
    jobs those that have little or no skills making entry level work harder to find. When
    you start making "a fair wage" based on something other than what a company
    can pay for entry level jobs it negatively affects those trying to get into the work
    force.
    Kelly

Yes I know about basic economics and the effects of minimum wages (a result by the way of an agreement being struck between Unions and employers - thus 'just' and 'fair' in your opinion). But what does the effect of minimum wage have to do with whether a wage is fair?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '11 08:29
    An additional point, I'm assuming we are talking about a level playing field with
    respect to both employees and business, collusion by either is not a level playing
    field.
    Kelly
    There is no such thing as a level playing field.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '11 08:34
    I am still at a loss as to how fair wages (or not) has anything to do with punishment for crimes and whether such punishment is inherently just or necessary.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 01:37
    This guys site is a good one:
    http://jeremysams.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-sends-men-to-hell.html
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 08:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am still at a loss as to how fair wages (or not) has anything to do with punishment for crimes and whether such punishment is inherently just or necessary.
    One thing deserves another, if you work for someone else a wage is just of some
    kind.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 08:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is no such thing as a level playing field.
    Than why worry about anyone getting cheated? There is either a right way to do
    things or not.
    Kelly
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 09:34
    Than why worry about anyone getting cheated? There is either a right way to do
    things or not.
    Kelly
    That is the typical 'you are with me or against me' attitude of Bush. Life is simply not that black and white. There are better ways and worse ways of doing things. If I see a better way, then I prefer it.
    Your suggestion that something is either totally right, or totally wrong just doesn't work in real life.
    I generally accept an unfair wage because I have no better choice. That doesn't make it fair, and it doesn't mean I like it. I think there are major flaws in the capitalist system and I think I am being exploited.

So, back to my analogy:
    Robber: "Your money or your life!"
    Kelly: "Who cares, I'm loosing something anyway! Neither choice is 'right' therefore I don't care."
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 09:37
    One thing deserves another, if you work for someone else a wage is just of some
    kind.
    Kelly
    That makes sense (barter) when both parties are benefiting. It doesn't make sense when one or both parties are suffering.
    It does not follow from:
    If I give you a cow, then it is right that you give me something in return.
    that
    If I give you a punch then it is right that you hurt me in return.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree