Why religion is dumb - reason 6 (Wasted Life)

Why religion is dumb - reason 6 (Wasted Life)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 Nov 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
So, even my shirts are going to hell because they are not xtian?
You'll need something cool to wear, won't you? If you're planning on going to hell, you would be wise to invest in a good non-Christian air conditioner before you die.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by RBHILL
I see you don't read your Bible, but when you die you go with nothing meaning you take nothing with you.
I've read mine more than you've read yours. I've also read it in five English translations and one paraphrase (cover to cover in each, plus many portions in several other translations, including the entire New Testament in one translation and one paraphrase), one German (part of the New Testament), and Greek (a larger part of the New Testament). I've also read a larger stack of commentaries on the Bible--by evangelicals and others--than all the books you've read in your life.

Aside from the fact that I know the Bible a lot better than you do, the critical difference between us is the matter of belief. I do not accept literalist distortions of the complexity of that important book, and I am no longer numbered among those who worship Jesus

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
03 Nov 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
You'll need something cool to wear, won't you? If you're planning on going to hell, you would be wise to invest in a good non-Christian air conditioner before you die.
I am sure the lost will go there with no clothes.

R

California

Moves
03 Nov 05
1 edit

I've read mine more than you've read yours. I've also read it in five English translations and one paraphrase (cover to cover in each, plus many portions in several other translations, including the entire New Testament in one translation and one paraphrase), one German (part of the New Testament), and Greek (a larger part of the New Testament). I've als ...[text shortened]... the complexity of that important book, and I am no longer numbered among those who worship Jesus
That is a shame that you read the Bible at a waste of your time if you chose to reject Jesus as your personnal savior.

Edit: reading the Bible doesn't get you to heaven.

I read different parts of the Bible I don't go in order. I have read all the N.T. and 9 books of the O.T.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05

Yes, sadly my air conditioner has been reading these threads, and because it lacks the necessary components of the frontal lobe for analytic thought, it has fallen under the influence of the God Squad. Last night it told me it had accepted Jesus as its personal L & S. I unplugged the thing: winter's coming.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05
1 edit

That is a shame that you read the Bible at a waste of your time if you chose to reject Jesus as your personnal savior.
You know nothing about literature and Western culture if you think that Bible reading could ever be a waste of time. Rather, it is a waste of time only for folks who don't read enough else.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05

I read different parts of the Bible I don't go in order.
Intervarsity Press put out a book many years ago entitled Scripture Twisting. Its primary aim was to equip xtians in their resistance to cults. Its secondary purpose, if you read it, will be to teach you the folly of failing to read the entire Bible in sequence.

R

California

Moves
03 Nov 05

Intervarsity Press put out a book many years ago entitled Scripture Twisting. Its primary aim was to equip xtians in their resistance to cults. Its secondary purpose, if you read it, will be to teach you the folly of failing to read the entire Bible in sequence.
It's called praying before you read the Bible.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05
1 edit

It's unclear antecedent. To what are you referring with this pronoun?

called praying before you read the Bible.

Moves
03 Nov 05

You guys all have a misconception about hell, including this guy:

http://www.ahajokes.com/crt470.html

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Nov 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
In Origen's favour, he "did not believe in the eternal suffering of sinners in hell" and also believed in metempsychosis....
So, the great Saint Origen did not believe in hell, and believed in a sort of reincarnation...What has happened to these early Christian beliefs?

http://www.iep.utm.edu/o/origen.htm (thanks for the site Halitose)

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
You guys all have a misconception about hell, including this guy:

http://www.ahajokes.com/crt470.html
The chief misconception is that hell exists. I don't remember Jesus using this word.

Moves
03 Nov 05

The chief misconception is that hell exists. I don't remember Jesus using this word.
True. "Hell" is a word that was made up. Christ called it "everlasting fire".

Matthew 25:41 - Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Nov 05

Matthew 25:41 - Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Thanks, DJ. It's nice to see a little real information in these forums for a change.

R

California

Moves
03 Nov 05

The funny thing is that parents tell their Children that hell is a bad word, but I believe that it is not, because you need to tell people about hell so that they will not want to go there.