1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 08:35
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    Males have an X and a Y chromosome while females have two Xs. Jesus is the son of Mary and God. Mary has two X chromosomes and God (the father) has none. Where did Jesus get his Y chromosome from?
    The same dust box Adam got his navel and nipples.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Some Biblical scholars say the two different genealogies show that Jesus qualifies as a descendent of David, both legally through Joseph and by blood through Mary. This gives two witnesses to His right to the throne of David.
    That is what I also have learned. The footnotes of the Recovery Version Bible explain this.
  3. Joined
    15 Jul '12
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:13
    Originally posted by jaywill
    That is what I also have learned. The footnotes of the Recovery Version Bible explain this.
    Then you got lied to as the bible clearly says the genealogy is of the same parent. But then again, what do you expect from a book that says pi is 3?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:17
    Then you got lied to as the bible clearly says the genealogy is of the same parent. But then again, what do you expect from a book that says pi is 3?
    It is only clear to numbnuts, like you.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:183 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does this mean you also believe in the "miraculous births" described in the scriptures of various other religions?
    Does this mean you also believe in the "miraculous births" described in the scriptures of various other religions?

That's a fair question.

What did you have in mind ? Specifics ?
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:262 edits
    Now, now. The pi thing is another topic. You're for staying on topic. Right?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:39
    That's a fair question.

What did you have in mind ? Specifics ?
    If you don't know what they are, then the question is moot.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:41
    FMF: All you have done here is lay out what 'fulfilled prophecies' the writers of the Gospels needed to include in their accounts.

Sorry. But I count this theory as a kind of hyper-conspiracy paranoia. i.e. Whatever was written was skillfully spun to munipulate us in a totally deceptive way, by collective effort, over a very large amount of time.[/b]
    Literature being skillfully spun to sustain a narrative that engages and unifies a group of people is not really such an incredible or impossible thing to do. In fact I would say doing it is a natural and predictable anthropological facet of human nature and human intellectual capacity.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:444 edits
    They must have rescaled 1 (don't ask why - the lord works in mysterious ways you see). A unit length must back then have been given by 0.954929659 (denoted simply by 1).
    From this we get:
    pi * 1 = pi * 0.954929659 = 3 Reveal Hidden Content
    yeah I know... 3 = 3*1 = 3*0.954929659 = ... :]
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:452 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

You're a slick one FMF !!

No specifics ? You see FMF I had written you a long post. Then I stopped and drastically shortened it. I thought "Why assume this or that ?"

Then I drastically shortened my response not to try to assume your typical favorite skeptical samples.

So if you don't want to stick your neck out and be specific on whch favored handy dandy "Jesus the copy-cat" myth you want to use, I'll just let it slide.

By the way. Do you think that a Christian is obligated to become 100% familiar with every other belief system on earth before he is justified to place his trust in Christ ?

Do you think scholarly familiarity with every world belief is a mandatory obligation of one who feels to put his trust in Jesus Christ ?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:49
    You're a slick one FMF !!
    If you don't know what they are then you obviously don't believe/subscribe to them. So my question is answered for all intents and purposes.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 12:532 edits
    Do you think scholarly familiarity with every world belief is a mandatory obligation of one who feels to put his trust in Jesus Christ ?
    If you did not realize that miraculous births are a common element in historical literature and religious texts around the world and throughout history, then that is fine. You believe your chosen "miraculous birth" story and you don't know about anyone else's. Good for you.

Do you think that a Christian is obligated to become 100% familiar with every other belief system on earth before he is justified to place his trust in Christ ?

Nothing of the sort has been suggested.

Did you think the "miraculous birth" of Jesus was the only "miraculous birth" among the world religions?
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 13:092 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you don't know what they are then you obviously don't believe/subscribe to them. So my question is answered for all intents and purposes.
    Not necessarily. You don't know if I believe in some other virgin birth or not, and if not, why I don't. Nothing wrong with taking a case by case approach.

Do you know of another tradition about a virgin birth that you think should be compared to the Gospel's account?

Don't ask me to supply your rival candidate. You supply one if you have one to seriously look into.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 13:351 edit
    The genealogy of Jesus given in Luke 2:23-38 goes all the way back to Adam, whereas the one given in Matthew 1:1-17 only goes back to Abraham. They are exactlly the same between Abraham and David. The difference begins with the sons of David. Matthew gives the royal line from Solomon to Joseph, the legal husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus. Luke gives the actual blood line from Nathan to Mary, the mother of Jesus. The substitution of Joseph's name in Luke 3:23 is supported by the scriptural precedent of Numbers 27:1-11 and 36:1-12. At the same time it avoids the Judgment recorded in Jeremiah 22:28-30 against the descendants of Coniah (Jeconiah).
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 13:38
    Don't ask me to supply your rival candidate.
    I am not asking you to supply anything. I asked you if you also believe in the "miraculous births" described in the scriptures of various other religions apart from your own. I take it the answer is no.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree