1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 04:081 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    1.) The miracle was prophesied centries before, that it would occur. [...]

2.) It was not the first time that God brought about an unusual birth. [...]

3.) The wonderfulnesss of the virgin birth of Jesus is consistent with the wonderfulness of His personality. His splendid life, His glorious words and deeds are [b]consistent
    with His miraculous arrival. [...]

4.) The virgin birth of Jesus Christ is necessary for Him to qualify to be in the Davidic line as the Messiah king. [...] [/b]

All you have done here is lay out what 'fulfilled prophecies' the writers of the Gospels needed to include in their accounts.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 04:13
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    Agreed. It was an invention in history by the author(s) of Mathew's gospel.
    Possible typo. that word should be event.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 04:204 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b] 1.) The miracle was prophesied centries before, that it would occur. [...]

2.) It was not the first time that God brought about an unusual birth. [...]

3.) The wonderfulnesss of the virgin birth of Jesus is consistent with the wonderfulness of His personality. His splendid life, His glorious words and deeds are [b]consistent
    with His miraculous ...[text shortened]... ut what 'fulfilled prophecies' the writers of the Gospels needed to include in their accounts.[/b]
    All you have done here is lay out what 'fulfilled prophecies' the writers of the Gospels needed to include in their accounts.
    [/b]

Sorry. But I count this theory as a kind of hyper-conspiracy paranoia.

Ie. Whatever was written was skillfully spun to munipulate us in a totally deceptive way, by collective effort, over a very large amount of time.

I don't buy that conspiracy theory, or the Passover Plot, or the Swoon Theory, or any number of other conspiracy theories that the NT writers were were following "cleverly devised myths" (2 Pet. 1:6)
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 04:331 edit
    Sorry. But I count this theory as a kind of hyper-conspiracy paranoia. i.e. Whatever was written was skillfully spun to munipulate us in a totally deceptive way, by collective effort, over a very large amount of time.
    Does this mean you also believe in the "miraculous births" described in the scriptures of various other religions?
  5. Joined
    15 Jul '12
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 04:42
    Possible typo. that word should be [b]event.[/b]
    invent (6 letters) as a typo for event (5 letters) is more like a Freudian slip showing your true belief in the invention of the virgin birth myth. Anyway, you seriously expect anyone to believe that a ghost raped Mary (real name Miriam since she was Jewish and lived in a Jewish land) who subsequently gave birth to her own son/rapist whom she named Jesus even though there is no J in Hebrew (or Aramaic) while science shows us and all experience agrees that it takes a sperm and an egg to begin a human life? You really believe this?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 04:55
    You believe that? (the virgin birth) And if so , why?

Well, firstly I believe it because I have been persuaded that the Bible should be taken at face value. It is not reported as a parable. It is reported as an event [edited] in history. But this virgin birth of Jesus is not an event in a total vacuum. There are some contributing fac ...[text shortened]... st not having the sin nature, yet being a typical man otherwise. I am not positive though.
    Some Biblical scholars say the two different genealogies show that Jesus qualifies as a descendent of David, both legally through Joseph and by blood through Mary. This gives two witnesses to His right to the throne of David.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 05:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Some Biblical scholars say the two different genealogies show that Jesus qualifies as a descendent of David, both legally through Joseph and by blood through Mary. This gives two witnesses to His right to the throne of David.
    Not really. What it "gives" us is the fact that one of the two different genealogies is wrong, which means they are just as likely both wrong, i.e. writers of the Gospels recognized a need to include certain material/claims in their accounts, and in this case coming up with different material. The need to link Jesus to a "right to the throne of David" seems to be the priority rather than getting the "evidence" right. A genealogy is not a "witness", and if they are different, as you admit, then their efficacy as "evidence" is questionable.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 05:10
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    invent (6 letters) as a typo for event (5 letters) is more like a Freudian slip showing your true belief in the invention of the virgin birth myth. Anyway, you seriously expect anyone to believe that a ghost raped Mary (real name Miriam since she was Jewish and lived in a Jewish land) who subsequently gave birth to her own son/rapist whom she named Jesus e ...[text shortened]... perience agrees that it takes a sperm and an egg to begin a human life? You really believe this?
    The real name of Jesus is Yahshua meaning "Yah saves" and "Yah" is the name of God told to Moses. Yah is the same as in "HalleluYah" meaning "Praise Yah" or as is commonly said, "Praise the Lord". Mary, Jesus, and Jew are the English versions of the names that have come down through Greek and latin with a later adoptation of "J" to represent a hard sound of "Y" and "I".
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 05:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not really. What it "gives" us is the fact that one of the two different genealogies is wrong, which means they are just as likely both wrong, i.e. writers of the Gospels recognized a need to include certain material/claims in their accounts, and in this case coming up with different material. The need to link Jesus to a "right to the throne of David" seems to b ...[text shortened]... f they are different, as you admit, then their efficacy as "evidence" is questionable.
    I know enough about you that there is no need to correct you because you are too ornery to pay attention anyway.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 05:19
    I know enough about you that there is no need to correct you because you are too ornery to pay attention anyway.
    This is mere deflection on your part. Look, you and I have different beliefs. I'm just calling you out on your use of the word "witnesses" - and indeed your approach to history and to things like evidence and proof. You are entitled to believe what you want about "King David", but your reference to "two witnesses" when you refer to bits of evidence that, in fact, contradict each other, is not legitimate historical argumentation. Just saying, that's all.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 05:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is mere deflection on your part. Look, you and I have different beliefs. I'm just calling you out on your use of the word "witnesses" - and indeed your approach to history and to things like evidence and proof. You are entitled to believe what you want about "King David", but your reference to "two witnesses" when you refer to bits of evidence that, in fact ...[text shortened]... tradict each other, is not legitimate historical argumentation. Just saying, that's all.
    Well, I am just saying you are wrong, that's all. 😏
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 05:301 edit
    Well, I am just saying you are wrong, that's all. 😏
    Well, to suggest - as you do - that two bits of evidence that contradict each other constitute "two witnesses" is somehow legitimate historical analysis, is incorrect as far as I am concerned. Do you disagree with this?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 06:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, to suggest - as you do - that two bits of evidence that contradict each other constitute "two witnesses" is somehow legitimate historical analysis, is incorrect as far as I am concerned. Do you disagree with this?
    Yes, because they do not contradict each other. They supplement each other.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 06:40
    Yes, because they do not contradict each other. They supplement each other.
    There being two different genealogies means that one is wrong, indeed, possibly both. And neither can be described as "witnesses"; not in standard English.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 08:191 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    What is the point of the virgin birth? Really? Did you really ask that?

Only one of the cornerstones of our faith. That Christ was born without sin.

So maybe you could ease off a little in your blasphemy, please.

😞
    "So maybe you could ease off a little in your blasphemy, please."

That is a no no, it is only blasphemy if you believe we live in a magical universe, you cannot seriously expect to impose your doctrine on rational forum members.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree