1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 20:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Woody also said 'I don't want to obtain immortality through my works, I want to obtain immortality by not dying'🙂

Back to the subject at hand, it seems inevitable we will be tripling our lifespans eventually but I imagine not in century 21. Maybe century 23 or 24. There are only a billion things that screws up getting past 100. The latest is longer tel ...[text shortened]... And there we were thinking lengthen those suckers and we double our lifespan right there.......
    Mother Nature is essentially done with us after we have reproduced and raised children to the point that they can do the same. There is some value in having grandparents and other contributors, eg childless sibs helping out, but obviously little biological value in having great grandparents and so, little selection advantage in variations that favor it. This would have to change.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 21:33
    Originally posted by JS357
    Mother Nature is essentially done with us after we have reproduced and raised children to the point that they can do the same. There is some value in having grandparents and other contributors, eg childless sibs helping out, but obviously little biological value in having great grandparents and so, little selection advantage in variations that favor it. This would have to change.
    Why?

Why wait for natural selection when you can have unnatural selection, and strait up bio-chemical messing?

I figure based on current progress we will be able to build a complete replacement body ready for
    a "full body transplant" in the next ~20 years.

At which point all you have to do for biological immortality is figure out how to keep the brain working
    indefinitely.

Which also looks to be figurable-out in my lifetime.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 21:52
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Why?

Why wait for natural selection when you can have unnatural selection, and strait up bio-chemical messing?

I figure based on current progress we will be able to build a complete replacement body ready for
    a "full body transplant" in the next ~20 years.

At which point all you have to do for biological immortality is figure out how to keep the brain working
    indefinitely.

Which also looks to be figurable-out in my lifetime.
    I carefully said, this would have to change. Perhaps we could engineer ir socially and/or genetically.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '15 22:01
    Originally posted by JS357
    I carefully said, this would have to change. Perhaps we could engineer ir socially and/or genetically.
    Ah, I took it to mean that some selection effect would have to appear that would
    select for longer life spans.

I apologise if that was not your intended meaning.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 05:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Sorry, divegeester, as you already know, for the foreseeable future you've forfeited the possibility of a reply from Boston Lad." ~Vivian (aka V7)
    The important thing for me, is the ability for me to reply to you. You choosing to ignore me is virtually irrelevant.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 05:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The important thing for me, is the ability for me to reply to you. You choosing to ignore me is virtually irrelevant.
    Grampy Bobby's behaviour is revealing and I think what it reveals is relevant. 😉
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 05:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    googlefudge, it will continue to remain your personal choice as to whether you decide to be with God in heaven enjoying happiness forevermore or alternatively stand face to face before Him [at the Great White Throne Judgment at the conclusion of the Millennium] attempting to lodge an ineffective and hopeless appeal supported by a long list of good deeds you accomplished out of the purest motives possible while you were still alive on planet earth.
    Do you believe that someone can somehow choose to believe something that they, in fact, simply do not believe?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 05:491 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, that's kinda my point, too.

If you don't believe the consequences exist, then is it really a dire threat? I mean, one to get all worked up about? If Woody Allen came up to you and said he was going to "Knock your block off", would you quake in fear, or shrug him off with a laugh?

It's this reaction, coupled with the other side, a ridiculous ov ...[text shortened]... le motivator. But let's reserve the word "fear" for something you're actually afraid of.
    Surely a spirituality discussion and debate forum is the right place to debate and discuss the ghastliness of a proposed ideology ~ in this case vengeful agonizing punishment lasting forever for a lack of belief ~ and that subscribing to the belief is not a prerequisite for calling it out for being nonsensical and ghastly?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 06:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Grampy Bobby's behaviour is revealing and I think what it reveals is relevant. 😉
    I think Grampy Bobby is repeatedly telling me that his computer mouse is telling him to ignore me, because it allows him to ignore me without actually ignoring me and without having to take responsibly for his decision to ignore me, which he has deferred to his computer mouse.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 06:24
    I think Grampy Bobby is repeatedly telling me that his computer mouse is telling him to ignore me, because it allows him to ignore me without actually ignoring me and without having to take responsibly for his decision to ignore me, which he has deferred to his computer mouse.
    His cringe worthy 'banter' aside, I suppose the fact that he isn't citing his pastor's mouse is to be welcomed. 😵
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 06:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    His cringe worthy 'banter' aside, I suppose the fact that he isn't citing his [b]pastor's mouse is to be welcomed. 😵[/b]
    I'm sure he likes to think he is the paster of his own mouse.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 06:44
    I'm sure he likes to think he is the paster of his own mouse.
    It sounds more convincing if you say Είμαι σίγουρος ÏŒτι θέλει να σκέφτεται ÏŒτι είναι ο πάστορας της δικής ποντίκι του.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 10:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Surely a spirituality discussion and debate forum is the right place to debate and discuss the ghastliness of a proposed ideology ~ in this case vengeful agonizing punishment lasting forever for a lack of belief ~ and that subscribing to the belief is not a prerequisite for calling it out for being nonsensical and ghastly?
    Yes, but calling it "fear" is just more than a little melodramatic, don't you think?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 10:48
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No, that's not even close to being a valid analogy.
    Of course it is.

Christians are merely warning you of the folly of proceeding as you have all this time. Not believing the warning is one thing. Getting all up in our face for doing so, or going to the extreme of calling our warning a "fear" tactic, especially when you're not exactly trembling in your boots over it, is another. It's your behavior that is threatening your well-being, not our warning. We're just warning of the bridge being out up the road as you drive 90 mph towards it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 11:011 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, but calling it "fear" is just more than a little melodramatic, don't you think?
    "Fear" is indisputably what the 'torturer God' ideology seeks to create. There is no harm in using the word. Indeed, untold numbers of Christians feel this "fear". The fact that critics of the ideology don't, doesn't mean the word is not appropriate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree