Working with a YEC

Working with a YEC

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
16 Nov 08

I mentioned a while ago that I had met a Young Earth Creationist, I may have mentioned working with him since.

Well the last time, he gave me a number of CDs of YEC material (by the like of Ken Hovind), in the folorn hope that I would lose all reason and become a YEC, and I gave him The Language Of God, in the folorn hope that he would gain just a little reason.

I listened to a couple of the Ken Hovind 'lectures' and had a really bad night due to the scary insanity of it all.

And tomorrow, I will be working with him again.

Unfortunately, we have the customer / supplier relationship which means I don't really want to get into to deep and heated a discussion, but it's going to be difficult.

--- Penguin.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Nov 08

Originally posted by Penguin
I mentioned a while ago that I had met a Young Earth Creationist, I may have mentioned working with him since.

Well the last time, he gave me a number of CDs of YEC material (by the like of Ken Hovind), in the folorn hope that I would lose all reason and become a YEC, and I gave him The Language Of God, in the folorn hope that he would gain just a little ...[text shortened]... to get into to deep and heated a discussion, but it's going to be difficult.

--- Penguin.
Why do you assume he needs reason, because he sees things a little
differently than you?
Kelly

Z

Moves
16 Nov 08

Well the last time, he gave me a number of CDs of YEC material (by the like of Ken Hovind), in the folorn hope that I would lose all reason and become a YEC, and I gave him The Language Of God, in the folorn hope that he would gain just a little ...[text shortened]... to get into to deep and heated a discussion, but it's going to be difficult.

--- Penguin.
may you never snap unless you don't have need for him anymore.

Z

Moves
16 Nov 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
differently than you?
Kelly
he sees things wrongly.

there is a difference between being a liberal and accepting the different views of a conservative and being a being with thoughts and intelligence and accepting outright stupidity.

for the same reason we find nazis stupid, because they have no scientific proofs(no scientific anything) to back their claims.

P

Moves
17 Nov 08

differently than you?
Kelly
That bit of my post was deliberate flame-bait. It was, of course, my subjective take on the matter.

And now it is gone midnight and I must sleep.

--- Penguin.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
he sees things wrongly.

there is a difference between being a liberal and accepting the different views of a conservative and being a being with thoughts and intelligence and accepting outright stupidity.

for the same reason we find nazis stupid, because they have no scientific proofs(no scientific anything) to back their claims.
LOL, really he sees things wrongly! Wow, glad you are here to tell every
one how to see things correctly.
Kelly

w

Moves
17 Nov 08
2 edits

Well the last time, he gave me a number of CDs of YEC material (by the like of Ken Hovind), in the folorn hope that I would lose all reason and become a YEC, and I gave him The Language Of God, in the folorn hope that he would gain just a little to get into to deep and heated a discussion, but it's going to be difficult.

--- Penguin.
So he is a YEC person? Clearly you have only two options. You can either break off the relationship altogether or shoot him, which ever is more convenient.

Seriously though, can't you work with him without discussing this issue? No matter who you work with you can pretty much ALWAYS find issues that press their buttons and get them going. I think perhaps the real issue here is that you have a particular prejudice against fundamentalists in general, no?

P

Moves
17 Nov 08

Originally posted by whodey
So he is a YEC person? Clearly you have only two options. You can either break off the relationship altogether or shoot him, which ever is more convenient.

Seriously though, can't you work with him without discussing this issue? No matter who you work with you can pretty much ALWAYS find issues that press their buttons and get them going. I think perha ...[text shortened]... real issue here is that you have a particular prejudice against fundamentalists in general, no?
yes, avoiding the topic is what we should do. But the subject is one that is pretty close to both of our hearts so, having stared the conversation, it will be difficult to avoid continuing it.

I will not start the conversation and will try to move off it when he does.

--- Penguin.

Z

Moves
17 Nov 08

LOL, really he sees things wrongly! Wow, glad you are here to tell every
one how to see things correctly.
Kelly
i dont have an ultimate truth. ultimate truth is hard to come by. falsehood is much easier to spot. when a theory contradicts reality, you can safely say it is false, at least in respect to those issues.

Z

Moves
17 Nov 08

yes, avoiding the topic is what we [b]should do. But the subject is one that is pretty close to both of our hearts so, having stared the conversation, it will be difficult to avoid continuing it.

--- Penguin.[/b]
Lie. say you found the books interesting but you need more time digesting them.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Nov 08

i dont have an ultimate truth. ultimate truth is hard to come by. falsehood is much easier to spot. when a theory contradicts reality, you can safely say it is false, at least in respect to those issues.
Good point, except who has a better handle on reality?
Kelly

Z

Moves
17 Nov 08

Good point, except who has a better handle on reality?
Kelly
the one who uses facts and not fairy tales to support a material position.

i am a religious person, i believe in god and jesus. but if i were to enter a scientific debate with an atheist regarding the scientific proof of god's existence i would lose. because i don't have proofs. i only have belief. and science only deals with hard facts. it has no use for unproven theories because their result cannot be used further.

w

Moves
17 Nov 08

yes, avoiding the topic is what we [b]should do. But the subject is one that is pretty close to both of our hearts so, having stared the conversation, it will be difficult to avoid continuing it.

--- Penguin.[/b]
Give him a book called, "Genesis and the Big Bang", by Dr. Gerald Schroeder. It is another view of Genesis that may not insult his fundamentalist view point. In it, he concedes that the earth is billions of years old and also concedes the likelyhood of evolution.

P

Moves
17 Nov 08

Originally posted by whodey
Give him a book called, "Genesis and the Big Bang", by Dr. Gerald Schroeder. It is another view of Genesis that may not insult his fundamentalist view point. In it, he concedes that the earth is billions of years old and also concedes the likelyhood of evolution.
That's why I gave him 'The Language of God'.

He did not mention the topic today.

--- Penguin.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Nov 08

the one who uses facts and not fairy tales to support a material position.

i am a religious person, i believe in god and jesus. but if i were to enter a scientific debate with an atheist regarding the scientific proof of god's existence i would lose. because i don't have proofs. i only have belief. and science only deals with hard facts. it has no use for unproven theories because their result cannot be used further.
People use unproven theories all the time to make their case for
their foundational world views. Logic either allows for some of the
statements made or it doesn't, evidence it seems is the universe
we live in and who does the better job of painting it such a way to
make their case for their theories; however, in doing so we run the
risk of painting a picture of reality that actually does not fit reality
as much as it does the world view between our ears.
Kelly