1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 00:45
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You shouldn't allow your Bible to turn you into a trite and ill-informed misanthrope.
    You should allow the Bible to turn you away from being a trite and ill-informed misanthrope.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 00:573 edits
    Originally posted by @secondson
    You should allow the Bible to turn you away from being a trite and ill-informed misanthrope.
    You're being trite again. If you think I am ill-informed and misanthropic about development and the positive transformation in Indonesia, then that is your prerogative. You should consider coming to Jakarta and standing up as a speaker at a meeting of Christians ~ in conjunction with people of other faiths ~ working tirelessly to make their human environment a healthier, safer, fairer, better-governed place, and then lecture them about your "Jeremiah" bumper stickerism.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 03:15
    In my experience, atheists online always seem to be promoting or defending Islam. I’ve never understood that outside of the obvious explanation that an atheist would be interested in defending and promoting a false religion.

But a genuine atheist really wouldn’t waste his or her time, imo. Only God haters masquerading as atheists feel compelled to endlessly troll Christians, try to destroy their faith and debate the existence of God and veracity of the Bible.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:041 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    In my experience, atheists online always seem to be promoting or defending Islam. I’ve never understood that outside of the obvious explanation that an atheist would be interested in defending and promoting a false religion.
    No one, to my knowledge, has 'promoted' Islam on this debate/discussion forum since Scherzo and he left about 8 years ago.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:121 edit
    But a genuine atheist really wouldn’t waste his or her time, imo. Only God haters masquerading as atheists feel compelled to endlessly troll Christians, try to destroy their faith and debate the existence of God and veracity of the Bible.
    Christians not wanting to debate and discuss stuff like the existence of God with non-Christians should perhaps suggest to the website that a Christianity Forum is set up.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:17
    Christians not wanting to debate and discuss stuff like the existence of God with non-Christians should perhaps suggest to the website that a Christianity Forum is set up.
    I’m making general observations. Don’t take it personally
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:17
    No one, to my knowledge, has 'promoted' Islam on this debate/discussion forum since Scherzo and he left about 8 years ago.
    I’m making a general observation. Don’t take it personally
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:22
    I’m making a general observation. Don’t take it personally
    If you want to get bent out of shape because someone promoted or defended Islam in this community, I suggest you dig out some of Scherzo's threads from 2007-2010.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:24
    If you want to get bent out of shape because someone promoted or defended Islam in this community, I suggest you dig out some of Scherzo's threads from 2007-2010.
    I’m not bent out of shape at all and was only making a general observation about online atheists, many of whom in my experience aren’t atheists at all, but God haters masquerading as atheists.

Don’t take it personally.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:27
    I’m not bent out of shape at all and was only making a general observation about online atheists, many of whom in my experience aren’t atheists at all, but God haters masquerading as atheists.

Which self-identifying atheists here, in fact, believe in god or gods, in your view?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:33
    Which self-identifying atheists here, in fact, believe in god or gods, in your view?
    I was making a general observation about online atheists. Why someone (anyone) who thinks God does not exist would waste so much time arguing with people who believe He does is bizarre.

I don’t believe pink unicorns exist. But if a sizable number of people thought they did, the last thing in the world I would do is waste my time trying to convince them otherwise.

If, on the other hand, I hated pink unicorns and knew pink unicorns wanted people to believe in them, I might well waste my time trying to convince people they didn’t exist.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:37

...a general observation about online atheists, many of whom in my experience aren’t atheists at all....

So, in that case, which self-identifying atheists here on this forum do you think are in fact theists?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:38
    [b]...a general observation about online atheists, many of whom in my experience aren’t atheists at all....

So, in that case, which self-identifying atheists here on this forum do you think are in fact theists?[/b]
    I was making a general observation about online atheists. Why someone (anyone) who thinks God does not exist would waste so much time arguing with people who believe He does is bizarre.

I don’t believe pink unicorns exist. But if a sizable number of people thought they did, the last thing in the world I would do is waste my time trying to convince them otherwise.

If, on the other hand, I hated pink unicorns and knew pink unicorns wanted people to believe in them, I might well waste my time trying to convince people they didn’t exist.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:401 edit
    I don’t believe pink unicorns exist. But if a sizable number of people thought they did, the last thing in the world I would do is waste my time trying to convince them otherwise. If, on the other hand, I hated pink unicorns and knew pink unicorns wanted people to believe in them, I might well waste my time trying to convince people they didn’t exist.
    If you don't like the "pink unicorns" analogy or people with different beliefs from you using analogies like "pink unicorns" or the "flying spaghetti monster" in discussions that fall within the remit of this forum, then I suggest you ignore them or avoid the whole "pink unicorns" approach to discussing religion and spirituality.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 04:42

I don’t believe pink unicorns exist. But if a sizable number of people thought they did, the last thing in the world I would do is waste my time trying to convince th ...[text shortened]... ople to believe in them, I might well waste my time trying to convince people they didn’t exist.
    You said that many online atheists aren’t atheists. Do you have any examples from this community? I am an agnostic atheist. Do you believe I am actually a theist?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree