1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 10:341 edit
    I have often consulted the Answering Islam website over the years ~ maybe the last time was in about January. I just tried to have a look and it has been blocked by Indonesia's Ministry of Communications and Information.

The reason given is that it falls foul of the SARA principle ~ stands for "Suku , Agama, Ras, dan Antar Golongan" ~ disallowing 'hate speech' about tribe [ethnicity], religion, race and inter-group conflict ~ ostensibly in the interests of social cohesion in this constitutionally multi-faith and ethnically diverse nation.

I am not sure what exact day the decision was made to block it, but it was a bad day for this country.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 10:44
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I have often consulted the Answering Islam website over the years ~ maybe the last time was in about January. I just tried to have a look and it has been blocked by Indonesia's Ministry of Communications and Information.

The reason given is that it falls foul of the SARA principle ~ stands for "Suku , Agama, Ras, dan Antar Golongan" ~ disallowing 'hate spee ...[text shortened]... ot sure what exact day the decision was made to block it, but it was a bad day for this country.
    Use the Tor network, should be able to get what you want. I realize your post has less to do with gaining access to the website and more to do with decisions of the governing authorities, but if information is what you are after?

https://www.torproject.org/
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 10:44

The reason given is that it falls foul of the SARA principle ~ stands for "Suku , Agama, Ras, dan Antar Golongan" ~ disallowing 'hate spee ...[text shortened]... ot sure what exact day the decision was made to block it, but it was a bad day for this country.
    "I can access it," said a decidedly smug Ghost sipping his cappuccino.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 10:59
    Originally posted by @leunammi
    Use the Tor network, should be able to get what you want. I realize your post has less to do with gaining access to the website and more to do with decisions of the governing authorities, but if information is what you are after?

https://www.torproject.org/
    Thanks for the excellent tip!
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 11:011 edit

Looks like a lot of good information is in there. What topics exactly would contain the hate speech etc stuff. Wont mind having a read of it. Maybe they can tone down the offending parts.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 11:181 edit
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Looks like a lot of good information is in there. What topics exactly would contain the hate speech etc stuff. Wont mind having a read of it. Maybe then can tone down the offending parts.
    It's just a lot of "rebuttal" stuff - analysis - and that rubs people in power up the wrong way plus they get lobbied by "devout" activists (a.k.a. fundamentalists) who can 'create politics' through social media which is booming here. Dissent gets smeared as "hate speech" all over the world nowadays, regardless of the age of the democracy ~ which is only in its 20th year here. I can't recall seeing anything I would regard as "hate speech" but there might have been some 'readers' comments' etc.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 19:41

Yes, disapointing and surprising considering that where you live seems to be somewhat egalitarian and free. Although I understand that the north west region can be quite strict.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 21:56
    Jeremiah 10:23
    O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Man can't govern himself. The world is coming apart, and it's only going to get worse.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 22:36
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Man can't govern himself. The world is coming apart, and it's only going to get worse.
    Indonesia has progressed by leaps and bounds according to just about every key indicator in the last quarter of a century.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 23:10
    Indonesia has progressed by leaps and bounds according to just about every key indicator in the last quarter of a century.
    Ever since you got there right?

Just give it time.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 23:25
    Ever since you got there right?

Just give it time.
    But it's getting better, not worse, unlike what you suggested. How much time did "Jeremiah" tell you to 'just give it'?
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 19:18
    But it's getting better, not worse, unlike what you suggested. How much time did "Jeremiah" tell you to 'just give it'?
    So you think you found a nice safe place to live. Cozy is it tucked away in your little corner of the world.

You're building on sand.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 20:171 edit
    So you think you found a nice safe place to live. Cozy is it tucked away in your little corner of the world.

You're building on sand.
    No I live in a huge country that had a complicated set of seemingly insurmountable problems ruled over by a corrupt dictatorship that was facilitating its plundering that has nevertheless been throwing off those shackles and solving those problems steadily and systematically through fledgling democratic governance, a burgeoning civil society, rolling back grinding poverty, more women surviving giving birth, diseases being brought under control, peoole living longer, more people getting an education, more meaningful and robust human rights and justice system, freer and fairer elections, increasingly free press, infrastructure being built, schools, hospitals, better houses, growing prosperity, hundreds of millions of living breathing people living longer, living healthier, living with more freedom and choice, living more securely, hauling themselves up the bootsraps, warts and all, and not paying too much attention to pissmoaning first world pessimists wielding things like "Jeremiah" and oozing their sneering doomsday Christian ignorance and self-sanctified obliviousness in cyberspace.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 21:43
    No I live in a huge country that had a complicated set of seemingly insurmountable problems ruled over by a corrupt dictatorship that was facilitating its plundering that has nevertheless been throwing off those shackles and solving those problems steadily and systematically through fledgling democratic governance, a burgeoning civil society, rolling back gr ...[text shortened]... ing their sneering doomsday Christian ignorance and self-sanctified obliviousness in cyberspace.
    So you're a patriot. Did you get all that out in one breath?

God bless America.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '18 00:16
    So you're a patriot. Did you get all that out in one breath?

God bless America.
    You shouldn't allow your Bible to turn you into a trite and ill-informed misanthrope.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree