1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 01:21
    Where did the required Y chromosome come from in the conception of Jesus, which comes from the human father?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 01:38
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Where did the required Y chromosome come from in the conception of Jesus, which comes from the human father?
    Unless you believe the Christian mythology about the "virgin birth" (cf: numerous other "virgin birth" mythologies in other religions), then the Y chromosome came from whichever man inseminated his mother - which may have been someone called Joseph. It's a matter of basic human biology.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 01:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Unless you believe the Christian mythology about the "virgin birth" (cf: numerous other "virgin birth" mythologies in other religions), then the Y chromosome came from whichever man inseminated his mother - which may have been someone called Joseph. It's a matter of basic human biology.
    I am not aware of how religious scholars, or the Bible deal with this 'problem' regarding the immaculate conception.

It can also be assumed that the writers of the New Testament had no clue about the necessity of the Y chromosome.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 01:59
    I am not aware of how religious scholars, or the Bible deal with this 'problem' regarding the immaculate conception.
    Why not? It's got to be one of the easiest things to find out, especially nowadays with the internet.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why not? It's got to be one of the easiest things to find out, especially nowadays with the internet.
    I chose this option instead.

That okay with you?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:27
    I chose this option instead.

That okay with you?
    It is believed that Mary conceived Jesus, although she was a virgin, through the agency of the Holy Spirit. It is said to have been a miracle. Miracles are exempt from natural or scientific laws. There goes any technical concern about the Y Chromosome. I don't believe for one minute that you did not know this. It'll be interesting to see what it is you will pretend you want to discuss.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    It is believed that Mary conceived Jesus, although she was a virgin, through the agency of the Holy Spirit. It is said to have been a miracle. Miracles are exempt from natural or scientific laws. There goes any technical concern about the Y Chromosome. I don't believe for one minute that you did not know this. It'll be interesting to see what it is you will pretend you want to discuss.
    The miracle does not explain how Jesus received the necessary Y chromosome.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:32
    The miracle does not explain how Jesus received the necessary Y chromosome.
    Miracles are exempt from natural or scientific laws.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Miracles are exempt from natural or scientific laws.
    Humans are not.
    For Jesus to be a male, he needed that chromosome.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:361 edit
    For Jesus to be a male, he needed that chromosome.
    Like I said, miracles are exempt from natural or scientific laws, and chromosomes are a matter of natural/scientific laws.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:38
    FMF: Miracles are exempt from natural or scientific laws.

Humans are not.
    Humans are exempt from natural or scientific laws if they are involved in miracles.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Humans are exempt from natural or scientific laws if they are involved in miracles.
    Okay.
    So then are you implying that God somehow supplied the Y chromosome in the miracle?

Because at the time the NT was written, they were not aware of this requirement.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:49
    Okay.
    So then are you implying that God somehow supplied the Y chromosome in the miracle?

Because at the time the NT was written, they were not aware of this requirement.
    What people were or were not aware of at the time the NT was written is neither here nor there. Those who believe in miracles believe that natural or scientific laws are bypassed by miracles.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '17 02:55
    Answer:

Either...

[1] Jesus' father was a human, and Jesus was born a human male, or

[2] Jesus' conception, without the agency of a human father, was a miracle, and he was born a human male.

What do you want to discuss?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '17 03:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Answer:

Either...

[1] Jesus' father was a human, and Jesus was born a human male, or

[2] Jesus' conception, without the agency of a human father, was a miracle, and he was born a human male.

What do you want to discuss?
    Your option #1 poses quite a problem for Christianity.

If you put your arrogant, smug attitude to the side, we can discuss further.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree