1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 21:52
    We have a similiar game here in the US. We call it field hockey, but it's only played by girls.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 23:07
    Originally posted by Red Night
    We have a similiar game here in the US. We call it field hockey, but it's only played by girls.
    I wouldn't advise picking a fight with any of their teams, mind you.

P-
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 23:121 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I wouldn't advise picking a fight with any of their teams, mind you.

P-
    they're tough for girls in cute little skirts!
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 05:25
    Soccer is a great game.

How long do you figure before the US wins a World Cup?

I'm pretty sure we ought to make a serious run in at least one of the next three.

"Do you believe in miracles?"
    The USA will win a WC shortly after they become interested in it .. which isn't anywhere on the horizon.

I can see the skill involved, but the girly drama by the nancyboys makes it dull as hell .. and predictable .. the ref will decide the outcome 3 out of 4 times.

Euros are funny.
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 11:04
    Originally posted by jammer
    The USA will win a WC shortly after they become interested in it .. which isn't anywhere on the horizon.

I can see the skill involved, but the girly drama by the nancyboys makes it dull as hell .. and predictable .. the ref will decide the outcome 3 out of 4 times.

Euros are funny.
    I love football/soccer but even I am so sick of the play acting and rolling around. Unfortunately even the great Maradona only became great when he learnt to cheat and dive. Most world cups are won by teams that cheated or conned their way into the final.

It would be great if USA would be more involved in soccer. The USA team is a credit and plays in a great spirit.

Sports heroes are much better way of conquering stereotypes than laws.

Ali, Pele, etc. have done loads by being great examples. I think that Ali was more important than Luther King, but maybe I'm just a bit too sports mad. Hard to hate black people when the person you admire most is black.
  6. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 16:35
    Similar, ice hockey is more like the physicalilly you need to play hurling mixed with the batting skills in baseball-except some fella is about to smash your hurl with his.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 16:46
    Originally posted by slimjim
    Lets see you catch a baseball thrown at 100 mph without gloves.
    I would like to see him carry the ball for new england without pads. P.S. Soccer players wear pads?
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 21:46
    Originally posted by john91
    Similar, ice hockey is more like the physicalilly you need to play hurling mixed with the batting skills in baseball-except some fella is about to smash your hurl with his.
    what kind of a lilly do you need to play hurling?
  9. CA, USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 01:22
    Pretty funny .. an ad for takillya where guys debate football/soccer

http://www.simplyperfect.com/223
  10. CA, USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 01:28
    They used to show hurling on Wide World of Sports every year, I think it was the big game (championship) from Ireland .. most brutal sport i've ever seen and i'm an old-school hockey fan.
    Never seen anything like it .. hurling .. about 50 guys with clubs (sticks) on a large pitch just whaching the hell out of each other. I'm talkin' serious head shots and the like.

Brutal, but fascinating.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 15:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 15:31
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Go watch jackass, jackass.
  13. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 19:04
    They used to show hurling on Wide World of Sports every year, I think it was the big game (championship) from Ireland .. most brutal sport i've ever seen and i'm an old-school hockey fan.
    Never seen anything like it .. hurling .. about 50 guys with clubs (sticks) on a large pitch just whaching the hell out of each other. I'm talkin' serious head shots and the like.

Brutal, but fascinating.
    that's just about it-but you never hit a guy delibateralay with a hurl, it's an unwritten code of honour-if ya want to break his jaw you do it with yer fist. however it's what us irish warriors do from 5 years of age
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 21:35

Brutal, but fascinating.
    Wide World of Sports was great.

Barrell Jumping, Cliff Diving, curling... I don't remember the hurling.
  15. CA, USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 23:38
    Originally posted by john91
    that's just about it-but you never hit a guy delibateralay with a hurl, it's an unwritten code of honour-if ya want to break his jaw you do it with yer fist. however it's what us irish warriors do from 5 years of age
    My hat's off to ya mate. I played a lot of hockey when I was young but gave it up at about 14-15 after a mate lost an eye one day. It's just too easy to get maimed for life. Took up (American) football next and played in HS .. great experence, but I wasn't big enough to go any further with it.

Now I play chess, poker and surf a little.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree