1. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 22:50
    198 countries tried to qualify for the world cup in germany in 2006; it was watched by over 3 billion people and from five continents, doesn't this make the world series (shouldnt it be called the usa series..?) look rather small..? also, i have no idea who won the world series, when it is or who's in it, it's never on the news, never in the papers... does the final also get watched by over 3 billion people..? with that in mind, do most americans accept the fact the biggest sporting event in the world belongs to the world cup..?
  2. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 23:481 edit
    Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
    198 countries tried to qualify for the world cup in germany in 2006; it was watched by over 3 billion people and from five continents, doesn't this make the world series (shouldnt it be called the usa series..?) look rather small..? also, i have no idea who won the world series, when it is or who's in it, it's never on the news, never in the papers... ...[text shortened]... americans accept the fact the biggest sporting event in the world belongs to the world cup..?
    You might want to go and double check your made up statistics before you embarrass yourself further with your pointless whining.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 14:08
    198 countries tried to qualify for the world cup in germany in 2006; it was watched by over 3 billion people and from five continents, doesn't this make the world series (shouldnt it be called the usa series..?) look rather small..? also, i have no idea who won the world series, when it is or who's in it, it's never on the news, never in the papers... ...[text shortened]... americans accept the fact the biggest sporting event in the world belongs to the world cup..?
    3 billion flies like crap, doesn't mean I do.

USA doesn't care for a sport where you fake an injury when someone gets near you. It's played on a huge field and you would be lucky to see 3 goals in a game.

Most Americans don't understand that 'football' IS the most popular sport in the world and why. I do, but I couldn't care any less about it. It's too slow, too low scoring, and too boring.

P-
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:41
    Can't you accept the fact that the World Cup isn't the biggest sporting event in the world, it is clearly the Olympics!
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:55
    actually you're wrong, the world cup has more countries participating in it and is watched by more people than the olympics; so just to clear up misunderstanding, the world cup is still the biggest... also, to answer the other navie post on here, please check your stats, do a search for it on google or read any good info on the last world cup and you will find the tounament was watched by over 3 billion people... as for the world series (usa series); we have a game like that in the UK, a player has a bat and you throw a ball at him and he has to hit it as far as possible and then make it round a diamond shape, if he misses it 3 times he's out - we call it rounders and usually play it up until the age of about 7 when by then most kids have grown out of it...
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:031 edit
    actually you're wrong, the world cup has more countries participating in it and is watched by more people than the olympics; so just to clear up misunderstanding, the world cup is still the biggest... also, to answer the other navie post on here, please check your stats, do a search for it on google or read any good info on the last world cup and you and usually play it up until the age of about 7 when by then most kids have grown out of it...
    Rounders, ha ha ha! Anyone make 25 million a year playing it?

Footie is the most popular sport in the world, but here in the US baseball and NFL rule. It's the way we want it.

P-
  7. where angels play
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Rounders, ha ha ha! Anyone make 25 million a year playing it?

Footie is the most popular sport in the world, but here in the US baseball and NFL rule. It's the way we want it.

P-
    Comparing rounders to baseball is a little unfair...... Rounders is clearly the more superior game
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:47
    Why is football/soccer more popular than other sports on a global scale? Because all the poor people in the world play it and God knows there's a lot of those buggers around. Really, all you need is a spheroid, feet and some random inanimate objects to form goalposts.

Not every kid in Sao Paolo or Cameroon can afford a super-sweet Rawlings glove or an aluminum Louisville Slugger. Tough beans for them, I guess.

(Hi Phlabby!)
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:47
    are the americans just missing the point..?

Yup. Sadly, not only in sport...
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 17:01
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    Comparing rounders to baseball is a little unfair...... Rounders is clearly the more superior game
    Because Rounders is so great... right?

Anyone ever get hit in the face with a 90MPH rounders pitch? If so, I'll look into it.

Other than that, you're being silly.

P-
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 17:02
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why is football/soccer more popular than other sports on a global scale? Because all the poor people in the world play it and God knows there's a lot of those buggers around. Really, all you need is a spheroid, feet and some random inanimate objects to form goalposts.

Not every kid in Sao Paolo or Cameroon can afford a super-sweet Rawlings glove or an aluminum Louisville Slugger. Tough beans for them, I guess.

(Hi Phlabby!)
    Yes, cash is the problem.

Hey Mr. Lee!

P-
  12. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 17:41
    Round here we just call soccer kickball.

You find a team that in the world that can beat the cardinals or tigers in a best of 7 series and I'll consider your argument. But since thats impossible then your argument against baseball is rendered pointless.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 17:57
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Round here we just call soccer kickball.

You find a team that in the world that can beat the cardinals or tigers in a best of 7 series and I'll consider your argument. But since thats impossible then your argument against baseball is rendered pointless.
    US baseball didn't do too well in that baseball world cup thing, but that's OK. MLB has players from all over the world, and more come all the time.

I just can't think of any MLB players from Great Britain. Why, I wonder...

The best seem to come from Asia and Hispanic countries, but anyone from any place could surprise you with their skills... if they got em.

P-
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 17:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

I just can't think of any MLB players from Great Britain. Why, I wonder...

P-
    Because it's just not cricket dear chap.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 18:16
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Because it's just not cricket dear chap.
    Cheers!

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree