are the americans just missing the point..?

are the americans just missing the point..?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o

Moves
30 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I think part of his point is wearing the pads lets everyone hit harder, so there are some very hard hits delivered where they wouldn't be delivered if both people were used to playing said sport with no protection.

As for rugby or Ausy football stuff (sorry about any bad spelling) they are crazy. That's nuts to run around like that and kill each other FL guy crushes him... rather than be in full pads... and body traction for 3 month.

P-
yes, my friend used to play rugby in college and they used to rate how they did in a game by how many concussions they gave the other team... its kind of a stupid argument of which sport can cause the most damage... it doesnt make it a better sport because someone can get killed in it. Ok rugby is a really tough sport because they dont wear pads like baby american football... but then i can say rugby is baby compared to bull riding

o

Moves
30 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Red Night
It may be a good point. Other's have made it as well.

My point was also a good one, I think; that the pads could hurt.
well pads hurt less than without pads, i used to play tackle football with no pads with the kids in the neighborhood, when you get tackled hard with no pads it is a lot more dangerous than without pads. For instance, i played high school football and we did tackling drills almost everyday - no one got seroiusly injured. But again, just because american football players arnt idiots and going out and getting 2 concussions every game doesnt mean its a worse sport than rugby.

h

Cosmos

Moves
05 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by howardgee
I mean cummon, helmets are for motorbike riders risking life and limb at over 100mph, or for F1 drivers. Even cyclists going at 70mph down hill in the bore-de-france only use bike helmets, not the full faced grilled affairs used in American namby-pamby "Football".

All they are doing is running around chasing a soft, inflated ball.

Pusseeeeeees!!!!!!
There's no reply to this criticism is there?

American Football - surely the worst game ever invented, played by over-protected and over-paid nonces.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Dec 06

American Football - surely the worst game ever invented, played by over-protected and over-paid nonces.
Why answer, we've all decided that soccer is for slap-fighting orange-slice eating guys who like to ride stretchers.

P-

h

Cosmos

Moves
05 Dec 06

Why answer, we've all decided that soccer is for slap-fighting orange-slice eating guys who like to ride stretchers.

P-
...but at least they are not ponsy enough to wear helmets.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Dec 06
1 edit

We've been over this a bit... wearing pads and helmet lets you hit harder. In NFL they stand in a line about 3 feet away from each other and watch for the ball to snap.

They all jump forward and slam, and from there they hope to get whatever they need to be done done. In fotbal they can only touch if they go for the ball, and never plow head on.

From there, there are often instances of people running full speed and headlong to hit each other in NFL. This game didn't start in a scrum; there are people all over the field at all times just waiting to hit you when you come near with the ball. There are even instances where you touch the ball, miss it... relax... and it is still legal to smoke you where you stand.

I think I would enjoy fotbol a bit more if they did have more gear on and much more contact. They would be a lot more soar after each game, even with the pads.

P-

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
05 Dec 06

In the early 20th century, our President at the time, Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the sport because the number of fatalities associated with it were unacceptable. Colleges took a number of steps to make the game safer, including safety equipment such as helmets. (This was also around te time the forward pass was introduced, making the game more wide open.) I'd be interested to see a comparison between American football and rugby, in the amount of fatalities each sport has ina given year.

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
05 Dec 06

I'm sure you don't know anywhere near enough about the game to be qualified to make this kind of assertion.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
05 Dec 06

We've been over this a bit... wearing pads and helmet lets you hit harder. In NFL they stand in a line about 3 feet away from each other and watch for the ball to snap.

They all jump forward and slam, and from there they hope to get whatever they need to be done done. In fotbal they can only touch if they go for the ball, and never plow head on.

F ...[text shortened]... d much more contact. They would be a lot more soar after each game, even with the pads.

P-
Wow, you may be on to something here. Maybe we should set up a full contact team and sell tickets. It could work you know. I really think I would like soccer then.

I never did understand why soccer players didn't hire more armless people since they can't really use their arms. It would sure help out some of the handy capped guys. They could probably run faster and kick harder cause they wouldn't have to carry around all the extra weight.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Natural Science
In the early 20th century, our President at the time, Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the sport because the number of fatalities associated with it were unacceptable. Colleges took a number of steps to make the game safer, including safety equipment such as helmets. (This was also around te time the forward pass was introduced, making the game ...[text shortened]... between American football and rugby, in the amount of fatalities each sport has ina given year.
I'm sure someone somewhere has died of shin-splints.

P-

h

Cosmos

Moves
05 Dec 06

F ...[text shortened]... d much more contact. They would be a lot more soar after each game, even with the pads.

P-
This sums up the Yanks' mentality.

Because they wear helmets, the other side has to wear padding.
Perhaps if they didn't wear helmets, then they mouldn't need padding?
Hey it's just a crazy idea?
Then instead of looking like a load of wanckers, they would look like sportsmen the world over playing rugby league, rugby union, Aussie rules, Gaelic football, etc.

Still, in a land where you have to have a gun to protect yourself from all the other loons with guns, this sheer stupidity is hardly surprising.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Dec 06
1 edit

Then instead of looking like a load of wanckers, they would look like sportsmen the world over playing rugby league, rugby union, Aussie rules, Gaelic footb ...[text shortened]... tect yourself from all the other loons with guns, this sheer stupidity is hardly surprising.
Are you even reading this thread, or spouting off?

People die when they run hard at each other from a distance and their heads knock. Someone has said that US Football was almost banned because the number of deaths.

They don't start in a scrum, like some other contact sports played with no helmets.

They crash into each other over and over from a distance full speed.

Smarten up, stuffed-shirt.

P-

ab

Moves
05 Dec 06

What's your opinion on amateur boxing and their headwear?

(before we get on to why the big pansies have to wear gloves)

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06

Then instead of looking like a load of wanckers, they would look like sportsmen the world over playing rugby league, rugby union, Aussie rules, Gaelic footb ...[text shortened]... tect yourself from all the other loons with guns, this sheer stupidity is hardly surprising.
I love watch the English trying to vent their anti-american jealousies by attacking Football and Baseball.

I guess other countries can just attack us for our foreign policies, but the poor English are denied that luxury, what with tony blair trailing along behind George W like a little puppy dog.

Are you gonna bite little doggie or are you just going to bark all day?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
I love watch the English trying to vent their anti-american jealousies by attacking Football and Baseball.

I guess other countries can just attack us for our foreign policies, but the poor English are denied that luxury, what with tony blair trailing along behind George W like a little puppy dog.

Are you gonna bite little doggie or are you just going to bark all day?
In case you didn't notice, this thread started with Americans attacking football as an excuse for not liking it.