1. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 22:07
    Originally posted by Palynka
    We can't tell until he plays for a great club, where just being good isn't enough to stand out.
    He won a 5th CL with Liverpool,

Tell me again how many Chavski have won?,

Go away until they've won at least one.......................
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 22:08
    Originally posted by millerman
    He won a 5th CL with Liverpool,

Tell me again how many Chavski have won?,

Go away until they've won at least one.......................
    Mourinho has one in 4 years. Liverpool has 5 in how many years?
  3. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 23:12
    Hands down:

[b]JACKIE CHARLTON!!!
  4. Standard memberTalent
    Gives cheque to mate
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 23:20
    Bill Shankly. Enough said.
  5. where angels play
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 23:26
    Ha ha you obviously Know nothing about football my sad little portugese friend, if you did then you would Know your history.
    Liverpoolfc are one of the greatest football clubs in european football, baring Real Madrid and Ac Milan and i dont see us being bankrolled by a Facist Goverment or a corrupt media tycoon or for that matter a russian oil billionare.

"Mourinho has one in 4 years. Liverpool has 5 in how many years?" Your words i belive. When he has won Another 4 with chelsea then you can come on here and proclaim him as the greatest manager ever, but i fear we will be waiting a while for that to happen.

You only need to look at his behavior when he did win the champions league with porto, he was far to busy thinking about his bank balance than celebrating with his own players. The man is the scurge of football, everything he stands for is whats wrong with the game today.

As for your comments on Steven Gerrard, dont your beloved chelsea try every single underhand trick to prise him away from Anfield every season? Not the best midfielder in the world? I think Mr Mourihno would disagree with you my friend. Theirs just some things money cant buy i suppose and thats class, dedication, passion and love. Along with success these are the marks of a true "great". Mourinho has none of these attributes.

Mourihno has none
  6. Standard memberTalent
    Gives cheque to mate
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 23:31
    Go Sally go Sally go!
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 23:39
    If all you can see is that, then you don't see much.
    What am I supposed to be seeing, him using his 22 world class players bought by dirty Russian money to create a boring team? And making excuse after excuse after excuse, and placing blame here, there and everywhere, so that his players go on the pitch placing blame everywhere, so that they can't even concentrate on their football.

"I am not concerned about how Chelsea are viewed morally. What does concern me is that we are treated in a different way to other clubs. Some clubs are treated as devils, some are treated as angels. I don't think we are so ugly that we should be seen as the devil and I don't think Arsene Wenger and David Dein are so beautiful that they should be viewed as angels."

"The linesman scored the goal. No-one knows if that shot went over the line and you must be 100% [on losing to Liverpool 1 - 0 in the Champions League Semi 2005]"

"It was not a red card. The kid Messi is not just a very good footballer. He is more than that. He jumps and he provoked the contact with Del Horno, who is then sent off. I don't think I can talk about the game after that it was not a proper game, but I'm proud of my players. [on losing to Barcelona, 2006 champions league]"

"The reality is that if you look at Barcelona tonight they had no yellow cards, Bayern Munich had no yellow card, Liverpool had no yellow card, Valencia had no yellow cards, Roma had no yellow cards but Chelsea have four. Do you think it is violence?"

""I think it is not easy for a referee to be a referee when the players are diving minute after minute.

"I think Frank Rijkaard is a lucky manager because his Barcelona stars are protected match after match.""

"Mr Mourinho said the ambulance took 30 minutes to arrive. Medics say it took seven minutes once one was called."

🙄

D
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 01:39
    Well Mourinho isn't 114 years old is he.

Morinho doesn't even figure, maybe at the end of his career, but not yet. Ferguson managed to win a European trophy with Aberdeen. Shankley turned a second division team into the most powerful force in English football, Paisley won most. Bobby Robson won the FA cup with Ipswitch. Winning the League a couple of times with a Russian oil billionaire's money to spend isn't enough - the results with Porto are more impressive. For me Bill Shankley edges it, which is largely because I'm biased.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 07:34
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    What am I supposed to be seeing, him using his 22 world class players bought by dirty Russian money to create a boring team? And making excuse after excuse after excuse, and placing blame here, there and everywhere, so that his players go on the pitch placing blame everywhere, so that they can't even concentrate on their football.

"I am not concerned ab ...[text shortened]... to arrive. Medics say it took seven minutes once one was called."

🙄

D
    So you judge a manager's quality by his press conferences?

🙄
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 07:39
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    Ha ha you obviously Know nothing about football my sad little portugese friend, if you did then you would Know your history.
    Liverpoolfc are one of the greatest football clubs in european football, baring Real Madrid and Ac Milan and i dont see us being bankrolled by a Facist Goverment or a corrupt media tycoon or for that matter a russian oil billio ...[text shortened]... are the marks of a true "great". Mourinho has none of these attributes.

Mourihno has none
    I'm not a Chelsea fan. I don't support any team in England, I just like football enough to watch them. And Chelsea are a team I like watching. You think they're boring because they don't run up and down like headless chickens, I think they're great for their tactical, technical and physical attributes.

Class, dedication, passion and love are not among the things I rate directly in a football manager. If they have an impact on the pitch, then yes, but obviously there are many ways to skin a pig, and it's the effectiveness of the skinning I evaluate.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 07:49
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well Mourinho isn't 114 years old is he.

Morinho doesn't even figure, maybe at the end of his career, but not yet. Ferguson managed to win a European trophy with Aberdeen. Shankley turned a second division team into the most powerful force in English football, Paisley won most. Bobby Robson won the FA cup with Ipswitch. Winning the League a couple ...[text shortened]... o are more impressive. For me Bill Shankley edges it, which is largely because I'm biased.
    I'm just playing with their inability to be impartial when it comes to Mourinho. 😉

Mourinho coached União de Leiria for 3/4 of a season before being hired by Porto and Benfica before that for a short spell, when he left because the after club elections the new President had a pet coach that was a Benfica symbol.

It's not about the results, it's his approach to the game. In the Portugal - Spain game he was invited as a commentator during the game and I tell you that this man now his stuff to unimaginable depths. It's his ego that drives him, but so what? He turned Porto (at 5th place in Portugal when he took over) that was playing piss poor and into a Uefa Cup winner, Championship and Cup winner in his first full year, and then Championship and CL winner. He arrives at Chelsea and again Chelsea goes from being a very good team to a dominant team. Of course the millions help, but to remove him credit for it is ridiculous. Look what happened in Real when they were the one spending the millions.
  12. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 08:41
    As this threads generator I feel I should bring some semblence of order back to proceedings...

You might not agree with Palynka's choice of Mourinho, but it's his choice... No-one had a major dig at me for choosing Cloughie, no-one's had a dig at others for choosing Shanks/Paisley/Fergie etc...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, if it doesn't match your own by all means debate their reasons, but by constantly hounding someone isn't going to change their opinion is it?

My thoughts on Mourinho are that he has the potential to be a great Manager - he's already achieved a lot in a short space of time. His criticism of refs/opposing players/opposing Managers must surely be akin to the 'mind games' that Fergie used to be so good at? (remember how he reduced Keegan to a jibbering wreck a few years ago?)
    He has had a hell of a lot of money to spend, which may cloud our judgement on how good he is/could be... I reckon I could win the League given that amount of money!
    On the pitch it's simply 11 v 11, but if a Manager can gain an edge before the teams run out what's wrong with that? Different personalities will achieve this in different ways... I know Shanks told his players to never worry about the other team, just to concentrate on their own strengths... Cloughie was just the epitome of man-management, a class act... Paisley was a quiet one, I don't think anyone can be sure what his strategy was 'cos he never bloody spoke to anyone!... and Fergie has (over the years) used most of the above...

Someone in an earlier post mentioned something about class, passion, style, integrity and honesty (I may have added those last two?) also being in the make up of a 'great Manager'... and to a degree I'd agree with those sentiments... I think it's important to be as gracious in defeat as you are in winning...
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 08:50
    Originally posted by blade68
    I think it's important to be as gracious in defeat as you are in winning...
    ...which is easy if you aren't gracious in winning 🙂
  14. where angels play
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 09:51
    I'm not a Chelsea fan. I don't support any team in England, I just like football enough to watch them. And Chelsea are a team I like watching. You think they're boring because they don't run up and down like headless chickens, I think they're great for their tactical, technical and physical attributes.

Class, dedication, passion and love are not among the ...[text shortened]... there are many ways to skin a pig, and it's the effectiveness of the skinning I evaluate.
    You obviously arnt understanding my point very well here so let me clarify for you. My Disaproval of Mourinho has nothing to do with the brand of football they play or my personal feelings for chelsea. I am a life long Liverpool fan and my hatered runs a lot deeper for a certain team down the M62 than it does for some cockney no marks, who when mr ambramovich gets tired of pumping endless millions into will no doubt return to where they came from ie Nowhere.

I am just clearly stating facts. To be considered as one of the "greatest" you surely have to achive great things. Bill Shankly achived great things by turning a second division club into the greatest team in europe, and he did it without 300 million pounds. Bob paisley did it when he took that team and dominated europe for 9 years. Alex ferguson did it when he took over a club languishing at the wrong end of the first division and turned them back into a football giant they were and he is still their doing it to this day. I hate the rosy Cheeked jock but to deny him as a great would be an injustice.

I would never let my own personal feelings for a team or manager cloud my judgement when it comes to dishing out greatest acoulads. My judgement or mourinho theirfore is done using facts. The Fact that he has achived nothing so far in his career compared to the true greats of sport.The fact that he is a brat with no manners and no self humility. The fact that he and mr adramovich are turning the beutifull game of football into the laughing stock of world sport.

Youre putting his name forward for "the greatest manager ever". I will start a thread titled " the worst manager ever" because that is surely where mr Mourihos name belongs my friend, the scurge of football.
  15. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 10:08
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    Youre putting his name forward for "the greatest manager ever". I will start a thread titled " the worst manager ever" because that is surely where mr Mourihos name belongs my friend, the scurge of football.[/b]
    I'm not having that Sally!!!!
    Gary Megson, Bryan Robson, and on a more personal level Martin Peters are honourary members for 'Worst Ever Football Manager'!!!

By the way, if you dislike that city down the M62 so much, why are you named after one of their bands hits???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree