1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 17:40
    Not neccessarily going by their record......

Who's the best pitcher in Baseball this year?

Halladay has my vote after coming back from stomach surgery yesterday
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 17:50
    Originally posted by uzless

Cole Hamels. I sat in the 2nd row when he took a perfect game into the 7th. His change-up is absolutely devastating.
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 18:04
    The F-Rod!
  4. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 20:35
    John Smolz of Atlanta.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 05:55
    Originally posted by uzless

It sure ain't Todd Jones.

The best starting pitcher has to be Jake Peavy. The best reliever has been Francisco Cordero.
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 14:29
    Wake up! Johan Santana has been the best pitcher for the last 3 years. Witness 2 Cy Young awards. Constantly leads the league in innings and strikeouts and with a stellar ERA and K/W ratio. Nobody can touch him.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 14:47
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Wake up! Johan Santana has been the best pitcher for the last 3 years. Witness 2 Cy Young awards. Constantly leads the league in innings and strikeouts and with a stellar ERA and K/W ratio. Nobody can touch him.
    The question was who is the best pitcher THIS YEAR, not the last three years.

Santana, 6-4, 3.21 ERA

Peavy, 7-1, 1.68 ERA

Without question, Peavy has been better.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 17:38
    Originally posted by rwingett

Santana, 6-4, 3.21 ERA

Peavy, 7-1, 1.68 ERA

We'll look back at the end of the year to see who's best. You wouldn't trade Santana to get Peavy unless you're a fool.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 20:22
    We'll look back at the end of the year to see who's best. You wouldn't trade Santana to get Peavy unless you're a fool.
    Bah, Santana is worthless. The Twins should trade him to the Tigers. We could part with Mike Maroth, or Todd Jones, I suppose. That sounds like a fair trade to me.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 19:56
    Bah, Santana is worthless. The Twins should trade him to the Tigers. We could part with Mike Maroth, or Todd Jones, I suppose. That sounds like a fair trade to me.
    Finally beat the Tribe, I see..
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 12:04
    Finally beat the Tribe, I see..
    Twice, in case you weren't paying attention. And except for Leyland's unfathomable reluctance to pull Jones in Friday's game, it would have been thrice. So despite our recent woes, we stand only 2.5 games behind Cleveland. Could be worse.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 14:24
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Cole Hamels. I sat in the 2nd row when he took a perfect game into the 7th. His change-up is absolutely devastating.
    Not yet he ain't. Getting close though. He's gonna need more than that change-up to be the best.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 14:30

Santana, 6-4, 3.21 ERA

Peavy, 7-1, 1.68 ERA

You must be joking. Jake Peavy is good but Santana is great. There's no way Peavy will keep that ridiculously low ERA all year. Plus, Peavy's run support is much greater than Santana's, whose run support seems to be perpetually low (not that that stops him from winning a ton of games every year).

2nd to Santana is Halladay.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 14:35
    I am not by any stretch of the imagination a Twins fan. Puckett being a first ballot hall of famer is a total joke. But year in year out Santana is the best pitcher is baeball.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 21:43
    Originally posted by darvlay
    You must be joking. Jake Peavy is good but Santana is great. There's no way Peavy will keep that ridiculously low ERA all year. Plus, Peavy's run support is much greater than Santana's, whose run support seems to be perpetually low (not that that stops him from winning a ton of games every year).

2nd to Santana is Halladay.
    You, like Badmoon, seem to have a problem with your reading skills. The question isn't who was the best pitcher in recent years, or who will be the best pitcher in the future, but who is the best pitcher this year. Perhaps Peavy won't be able to keep up his torrid pace, as you contend, but that is all conjecture at this point. The fact is that Peavy's stats are better at the moment. Therefore Peavy is the better pitcher. I fail to see how this simple point can be contested at all. Perhaps its that you Canadians are just a naturally garrulous lot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree