Best Pitcher in Baseball?

Best Pitcher in Baseball?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by darvlay
4 walks though. A three-star no-hitter if I ever saw one. Right on par with Andy Hawkins' from 1991.
A no hitter is a no hitter. Jack Morris walked six when he threw his. Perfect games are another matter. I vividly remember in 1983 when Milt Wilcox retired the first 26 batters against the Chicago White Sox. The 27th batter, Jerry Hairston, got a single. Wilcox's game was arguably better than Morris', but Morris got the no hitter.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by rwingett
A no hitter is a no hitter.
Nothing has ever made more sense, well said.

d

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by PocketKings
Hamels, Hamels, Hamels, can't say it enough...
He leads the league in strikeouts and home runs allowed. 😠

d

Moves
13 Jun 07

A no hitter is a no hitter. Jack Morris walked six when he threw his. Perfect games are another matter. I vividly remember in 1983 when Milt Wilcox retired the first 26 batters against the Chicago White Sox. The 27th batter, Jerry Hairston, got a single. Wilcox's game was arguably better than Morris', but Morris got the no hitter.
Curt Schilling was one out away from a no-hitter last week. That would've been three in this young season. That's an incredibly high figure given that no-hitters have seemingly been a rarity the past ten years. I wonder how many will be thrown this year? I get the feeling we're due for a couple more before the year's out.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
13 Jun 07

He leads the league in strikeouts and home runs allowed. 😠
9-2 and leads the league in strikeouts. The back-to-back-to-back homers last week didn't help the homers stat, but he didn't lose the game.

d

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by PocketKings
9-2 and leads the league in strikeouts. The back-to-back-to-back homers last week didn't help the homers stat, but he didn't lose the game.
Doesn't help me in the fantasy league either. 😠

Seriously though, I got lots of respect for Hamels. And Verlander. They are both gonna be in this league for a while, for sure.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by Chaswray
A little trivia since we're talking pitchers and baseball:

Today is the 37th anniversary of the Dock Ellis LSD no hitter. June 12 1970, Pittsburgh Pirate pitcher, Dock Ellis no hit the Padres while under the influence of LSD. The only proof of his "condition" was his own admission some 14 years later.
"Sometimes the ball looked big. Sometimes the ball looked small."

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by Red Night
"Sometimes the ball looked big. Sometimes the ball looked small."
"Sometimes all I could see was the catcher's mitt"

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
13 Jun 07

4 walks though. A three-star no-hitter if I ever saw one. Right on par with Andy Hawkins' from 1991.
A lot of the no hitters I've seen in my years of watching baseball seemed to feature wildness. Look at the "Ryan Express" and his seven no-nos. Number three had an astounding 8 walks. He got better with age though his final one against a powerful Blue Jays lineup.....he only walked two!!

d

Moves
05 Jul 07

Well, well...what have we here? It seems Mr. Santana lost to the lowly Washington Nationals his last time around. That drops him to a dismal 6-6 record. I think the cheerleaders in the Santana fan club can take their pom-pons and go home in shame. It seems there are at least a dozen pitchers queued up ahead of him in the "best pitcher of the year" line.
Bump.

Santana has won his last four starts convincingly allowing a total of 4 ER during that stretch.

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
06 Jul 07

Bump.

Santana has won his last four starts convincingly allowing a total of 4 ER during that stretch.
You beat me to it, I noticed that and meant to hunt up this thread and post his recent success 😲 Sabathia has 12 wins though!!!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Jul 07

Bump.

Are you still following this thread?

Now that we have more information, we can offer up a re-evaluation of things. Santana certainly improved his standing since the last time this thread got any attention. He is 7th overall in ERA and 3rd in the AL. He's also tied for 4th (with many) with 10 wins. So he's in the top 10, but not "the best pitcher in baseball." It's a very close call between Peavy, Haren, Penny, and Young. I think Haren is the current favorite in the AL, but it's too close to call in the NL.

How about that doubleheader between the Twins and the White Sox today? 20 to 14 and 12 to 0. The Sox got beat by a combined score of 32 to 14. I would have liked to have seen Guillen's face. And of course, the Tigers pull back into a 1st place tie on the strength of Marcus Thames' grand slam and Miller's fine pitching. Keep an eye on Kenny Rogers. With a 1.04 ERA since coming back, he may end up on the list before much longer. It's too bad No1marauder became a Hare Krishna, shaved his head, and is selling flowers in an airport somewhere. I'd love to tell him some more how much we love Mr. Rogers here in Detroit.

d

Moves
08 Jul 07

It's too bad No1marauder became a Hare Krishna, shaved his head, and is selling flowers in an airport somewhere. I'd love to tell him some more how much we love Mr. Rogers here in Detroit.
LMAO!

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
08 Jul 07

If it were game 7 in the series...I want Santana pitching for me

j

Moves
13 Jul 07

Originally posted by badmoon
If it were game 7 in the series...I want Santana pitching for me
I think you get a different answer if you ask who has had the best year so far, but right now if I could have any pitcher in baseball on my team it would be Santana. I'm certainly not a Twins fan so it is not like he's my guy, either.