1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 22:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    The point is that a major league team has recognized how screwed up the system is and how they need to try and take extraordinary measures just to try and maintain some level of parody.

However, it will never be enough for the A's to make it to another World Series.
    Never say never....you KNOW how the gods enjoy spiting you!!
  2. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 00:24
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Never say never....you KNOW how the gods enjoy spiting you!!
    They love spiting him because of his misuse of the word parody. I think he means parity.
  3. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 12:27
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    They love spiting him because of his misuse of the word parody. I think he means parity.
    His baseball knowledge is a parody!
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 13:37
    Originally posted by Chaswray
    His baseball knowledge is a parody!
    I will eagerly anticipate next years playoffs to torment you with the obvious, which is, why are the big market teams still dominating?

I'll even make sure I misspell so you actually have something meaningful to say.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 17:00
    I will eagerly anticipate next years playoffs to torment you with the obvious, which is, why are the big market teams still dominating?

I'll even make sure I misspell so you actually have something meaningful to say.
    Since you know it all, make your predictions now.
    Since everything is automatic as you claim it is, this should be very easy!!
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 01:37
    This is for all you small market fans. As the big market teams cruch you under foot in the playoffs, may I suggest you just turn off the TV or radio for the rest of the post season and World Series in protest big money clubs continuing domination of MLB.

I know I've not watched a World Series in about a decade or so, and have no intention of watching team ...[text shortened]...

Of course, this will probably have no effect on the ratings, but it is the right thing to do.
    Well done Whodey!! I agree.
  7. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 13:211 edit

Did you ever stop to think that maybe some people just enjoy the game? Is it a business at the pro level yes and like any industry, those with the most make the most and usually spend the most.
    There's a very interesting article in the ESPN mag for this month as to how the big money signings are actually reversing, take for instance this years "champs" 18 of the 25 St Louis players were "home grown" and Boston's big signing was Victorino and one other mid level.
    The Dodgers who spent the most in the NL were beaten by the Cards. And the Angels who spent the most in the AL haven't sniffed the play offs in 4 years.
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 15:471 edit
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe some people just enjoy the game? Is it a business at the pro level yes and like any industry, those with the most make the most and usually spend the most.
    There's a very interesting article in the ESPN mag for this month as to how the big money signings are actually reversing, take for instance this years "champs" ...[text shortened]... the Cards. And the Angels who spent the most in the AL haven't sniffed the play offs in 4 years.
    That's reaching. Whodey isn't talking about who spent the absolute most and he isn't claiming that big spending will win it for you every year as there are other big spenders and there are the occasional small money teams that make the right moves. Denying the fact that large market teams have the greatest chance at winning the big one every year is like denying the sky is blue. Football is the most popular sport in America by a landslide because of the salary cap, any team can win the big one any year. This year and team that was pegged to compete for the first pick in the draft is 9-0. That would never happen in baseball... why watch if you know your team is going to suck? In baseball there's no reason, in football there's always next year.
  9. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 16:45
    That's reaching. Whodey isn't talking about who spent the absolute most and he isn't claiming that big spending will win it for you every year as there are other big spenders and there are the occasional small money teams that make the right moves. Denying the fact that large market teams have the greatest chance at winning the big one every year is lik ...[text shortened]... your team is going to suck? In baseball there's no reason, in football there's always next year.
    There's a big difference in football and baseball, football has a 4 year pro training camp in college football. There are many reasons for a fan to watch if they enjoy the game and having a team to root for is icing on the cake even if they suck. I've not denied the fact that big market teams have an advantage.
    In my mind the problem is the "fair weather" fan that has to support the winner every year, there is no loyalty in the fan anymore than there is loyalty in the players in BOTH sports
  10. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 17:02
    There's a big difference in football and baseball, football has a 4 year pro training camp in college football. There are many reasons for a fan to watch if they enjoy the game and having a team to root for is icing on the cake even if they suck. I've not denied the fact that big market teams have an advantage.
    In my mind the problem is the "fair weather" ...[text shortened]... year, there is no loyalty in the fan anymore than there is loyalty in the players in BOTH sports
    Most fans can weather and few storms but some teams have never won the big game, never been in the big game. There is no fair weather for some teams. That would be fixed by imposing a salary cap.
  11. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 17:10
    Most fans can weather and few storms but some teams have never won the big game, never been in the big game. There is no fair weather for some teams. That would be fixed by imposing a salary cap.
    I could agree on a salary cap, BUT, neither the owners or the players union will ever let that happen!
  12. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 00:15
    I could agree on a salary cap, BUT, neither the owners or the players union will ever let that happen!
    Not until small market fans quit watching the game.
  13. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 12:25
    Not until small market fans quit watching the game.
    Well, IMHO, you and Whodey are tilting at windmills there! The major networks tailor their broadcasts to the large market areas of LA, Chicago and the NE seaboard, the huge numbers of fans in those areas far outweigh the small markets. I for one will continue to watch as I enjoy the game, the beauty of a well pitched game, a great defensive play or say, a hitter going for the cycle, and you don't have to be a fan of any size market team to see these things. But being a fan of any one team will only make the "experience" that much better. In short, I enjoy the beauty of the game and market size has no effect between the lines on any given day!
  14. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 17:56
    Well, IMHO, you and Whodey are tilting at windmills there! The major networks tailor their broadcasts to the large market areas of LA, Chicago and the NE seaboard, the huge numbers of fans in those areas far outweigh the small markets. I for one will continue to watch as I enjoy the game, the beauty of a well pitched game, a great defensive play or say, a h ...[text shortened]... I enjoy the beauty of the game and market size has no effect between the lines on any given day!
    Far outweigh any one small market but not all of them. Besides, these large market guys need peons to beat up on, if the small markets stop making money the teams will start moving or just fold up if there is nowhere to put them.

Don't give me that beauty of the game crap because it's just crap. Most fans barely understand the game. You might but you're just one person and don't get me wrong, I don't really care about baseball but I can see that it's a dying sport and would be sad to see it fold.

Within the next couple generations baseball will have half the fans it has today and it is at its lowest number in years.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 20:411 edit
    Far outweigh any one small market but not all of them. Besides, these large market guys need peons to beat up on, if the small markets stop making money the teams will start moving or just fold up if there is nowhere to put them.

Don't give me that beauty of the game crap because it's just crap. Most fans barely understand the game. You might but yo ...[text shortened]... nerations baseball will have half the fans it has today and it is at its lowest number in years.
    You are OBVIOUSLY one of those "fans" who doesn't know squat about the game.
    This is not particularly surprising though.
    If you ever "played the game" (and I don't mean Little League where
    your parents enrolled you...but rather at a higher level...at least high
    school level) you would learn the nuances of the inner game.
    That is when you can watch a game for the art rather than to be entertained.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, people have been projecting the demise of
    baseball for over 100 years now. The game is still there and growing
    in world wide appeal. Not only is the game huge in America, but also
    throughout Latin America, Canada, Cuba and the Dominican, and Japan,
    but now into Italy, Israel, the Middle East, China and Southeast Asia.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree