1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '13 20:44
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Far outweigh any one small market but not all of them. Besides, these large market guys need peons to beat up on, if the small markets stop making money the teams will start moving or just fold up if there is nowhere to put them.

Don't give me that beauty of the game crap because it's just crap. Most fans barely understand the game. You might but yo ...[text shortened]... nerations baseball will have half the fans it has today and it is at its lowest number in years.
    I feel just the opposite. Money has ruined the game, just like it does everything else. Just ask Ben Barnank's printing press in the Fed. So just like the country, let is all collapse and start over again.
  2. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 00:23
    Far outweigh any one small market but not all of them. Besides, these large market guys need peons to beat up on, if the small markets stop making money the teams will start moving or just fold up if there is nowhere to put them.

Don't give me that beauty of the game crap because it's just crap. Most fans barely understand the game. You might but yo ...[text shortened]... nerations baseball will have half the fans it has today and it is at its lowest number in years.
    If you don't give a crap about baseball, why are you replying in this thread...just trolling?
  3. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 09:50
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You are OBVIOUSLY one of those "fans" who doesn't know squat about the game.
    This is not particularly surprising though.
    If you ever "played the game" (and I don't mean Little League where
    your parents enrolled you...but rather at a higher level...at least high
    school level) you would learn the nuances of the inner game.
    That is when you can wat ...[text shortened]... e Dominican, and Japan,
    but now into Italy, Israel, the Middle East, China and Southeast Asia.
    No I'm not a fan of baseball at all but I would be sad to see it die in American sports. I don't care if baseball is popular in other countries, I live in America here it's the least popular American sport. I know enough about the game to delve into the tension, to see a team gain the advantage when both pitchers are aces and no team has scored yet. Or when a team gets to the bullpen early after going down a run and feel the anticipation of them scoring every inning and then feel the momentum change when a pitcher gets a strikeout with a man in scoring position to end the inning.

But I dislike the greed at the top of the MLB pyramid that drains the small market of top talent. It's even worse with sabermetrics, now the most productive players are sought after instead of the big names that weren't as good as people thought and guess which teams have the most talent? Large market teams.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 14:171 edit
    No I'm not a fan of baseball at all but I would be sad to see it die in American sports. I don't care if baseball is popular in other countries, I live in America here it's the least popular American sport. I know enough about the game to delve into the tension, to see a team gain the advantage when both pitchers are aces and no team has scored yet. Or ...[text shortened]... eren't as good as people thought and guess which teams have the most talent? Large market teams.
    If you dislike greed, then you must loathe the NBA!!!
    There is no way the NBA is more popular than MLB in the US.
    There is no way that soccer is more popular than MLB in the US
    There is no way that the NHL is more popular than MLB in the US.

How can you make a blanket statement about baseball being the least liked sport?
    Or do you only consider the NFL as a full spectrum of sports?
    I have no idea what you are using as your barometer here.
    It isn't ticket sales.
    It isn't franchise value.
    It isn't dollars spent by fans attending.
    It isn't merchandising sales.
    It is not about advertising revenue.

What could it be other than your person likes/dislikes?
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 19:16

How can you make a blanket statement about baseball being the least liked sport?
    Or do you only consider t ...[text shortened]...

The NBA, ha. Not since professional Wrestling has a sport been so obviously fixed. I'm waiting for David Stern to start inserting himself into games the way Vince McMahon does wrestling matches.
  6. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 22:221 edit

Or do you only consider t ...[text shortened]...

You are correct in your assertion that I don't like the NBA. But of the american sports; football, basketball, baseball it is clear that football and basketball are more popular in the US than baseball. Even soccer is becoming more popular overall and it is already the most popular youth sport in the US.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 22:41
    You are correct in your assertion that I don't like the NBA. But of the american sports; football, basketball, baseball it is clear that football and basketball are more popular in the US than baseball. Even soccer is becoming more popular overall and it is already the most popular youth sport in the US.
    Read my statement again and tell me how you make that deduction,
    because you are simply incorrect. What is the basis for your comparison?
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 22:531 edit
    Read my statement again and tell me how you make that deduction,
    because you are simply incorrect. What is the basis for your comparison?
    I am not incorrect, I'm sorry you love a dying sport but take off the rose colored glasses.

Jersey sales, television ratings, media attention etc etc Did you know that more people turned into a Monday Night bout between the NY Giants and the Minn Vikings than they did the World series game on that same night? And it wasn't even close. That was arguably the worst game of the NFL season but the majority of Americans did not stop watching it in favor of the world series.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 13:31
    I am not incorrect, I'm sorry you love a dying sport but take off the rose colored glasses.

Jersey sales, television ratings, media attention etc etc Did you know that more people turned into a Monday Night bout between the NY Giants and the Minn Vikings than they did the World series game on that same night? And it wasn't even close. That was arguab ...[text shortened]... NFL season but the majority of Americans did not stop watching it in favor of the world series.
    Like I said, you are flapping your gums without any proof.
    I am sure that you already knew this (This is sarcasm at its best),

If you just base it on the value of the franchise, the top 25 teams in any sport
    in the US reveals these amazing facts:

The most valuable franchise of all.... NY Yankees (that is a baseball team)
    In the top 25, the Yankees, LA Dodgers (#4), Boston Red Sox (#7) and
    the Chicago Cubs (#25) all make the top 25.

The ONLY team not in the NFL or MLB in the top 25 comes in at #17 and
    that is the New York Knicks (the only basketball team in the top 25).

I support my statement with the Forbes rankings for 2013 of the top sports
    franchises in the world.
    http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45edmjk/1-real-madrid/

If you want to get just the top brand of all US teams (This deals with
    merchandising sales jerseys, hats etc...) here are some interesting tidbits:

The following list is for 2012 sales because no one has 2013 sales lists yet

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mlb-heads-for-record-merchandise-sales-2012-04-04

It appears the MLB is doing very well in this area too.

If these aren't enough to back you off your off the wall statement,
    there is tons more available on the internet. Try doing some research next time.
  10. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 19:01
    Like I said, you are flapping your gums without any proof.
    I am sure that you already knew this (This is sarcasm at its best),

If you just base it on the value of the franchise, the top 25 teams in any sport
    in the US reveals these amazing facts:

The most valuable franchise of all.... NY Yankees (that is a baseball team)
    In the top 25, the Yank ...[text shortened]... all statement,
    there is tons more available on the internet. Try doing some research next time.
    All you're doing is throwing up statistics that back my premise. Why don't you get a brain before you tell me to do research. Of course the large market teams are making money and of course they have large fan bases.

You have an inability to see the big picture or even remember the focal point of the argument. Go to your kennel, I'm tired of arguing with the intellectually inept.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 21:031 edit
    All you're doing is throwing up statistics that back my premise. Why don't you get a brain before you tell me to do research. Of course the large market teams are making money and of course they have large fan bases.

You have an inability to see the big picture or even remember the focal point of the argument. Go to your kennel, I'm tired of arguing with the intellectually inept.
    You moron, you haven't got the brain to pour piss out of your own boots.

You said baseball was the least desirable sport in the US in popularity and
    in merchandising. I just proved you wrong on both premises and you are
    too dumb to see it. You need to get a grip because you are lost.

Edit: maybe you should stick to playing chess. Oh yeah, "Mister Chess"
    doesn't actually play chess at the chess site. He posts on forums about
    crap he knows little to nothing about...about the same as chess.
  12. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 21:12
    You moron, you haven't got the brain to pour piss out of your own boots.

You said baseball was the least desirable sport in the US in popularity and
    in merchandising. I just proved you wrong on both premises and you are
    too dumb to see it. You need to get a grip because you are lost.
    Ok, I'll slow it down and explain it to you... last time, since you can't seem to keep up.

My whole point has been that large market greed is killing baseball. Throwing up statistics about how great large market teams are doing is ridiculously detrimental to your whole stance, if you even have one of those. You wouldn't know a logical conclusion if it was tattooed on your forehead.

Now the point. A group of large market teams that are extremely successful from a business standpoint doesn't make an entire league popular, especially when the majority of teams are completely anonymous outside of their fanbase, and that is why I used television ratings and media face time as indicators in conjuction with jersey sales instead of coming to false conclusions like you evidently have.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 21:57
    Ok, I'll slow it down and explain it to you... last time, since you can't seem to keep up.

My whole point has been that large market greed is killing baseball. Throwing up statistics about how great large market teams are doing is ridiculously detrimental to your whole stance, if you even have one of those. You wouldn't know a logical conclusion if i ...[text shortened]... in conjuction with jersey sales instead of coming to false conclusions like you evidently have.
    The fact that eludes you is that small market teams do not do well in ANY
    professional sport. If greed is your basis, then where does the greed lie?

Is it with the owners? All sports teams have owners though and all are
    motivated by the almighty dollar.

Maybe it is the players? Wait, all sports have players, and they wall want to
    make as much money as they can.

Hummm, maybe it is the agents. No, all sports and players use agents so it
    would seem that that is not the answer.

Ticket prices perhaps?? No, football tickets are the most expensive, followed
    by basketball tickets. That would indicate they are greedier that the
    baseball guys though, so that can't be it.

Merchandise sales. Jersey and hat prices are fairly uniform (no pun intended),
    it is the popularity of the sport or players that tend to drive sales.
    Since baseball and football lead sales that can't be the reason.

It must be small markets that are the reason. How many small market
    teams are there that do very well? There have been a couple of NBA
    teams that relocated due to lack of support. Haven't seen many baseball
    teams relocated for lack of support. Oh yeah, because baseball shares
    revenue with small market teams.
  14. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 22:191 edit
    The fact that eludes you is that small market teams do not do well in ANY
    professional sport. If greed is your basis, then where does the greed lie?

Is it with the owners? All sports teams have owners though and all are
    motivated by the almighty dollar.

Maybe it is the players? Wait, all sports have players, and they wall want to
    make as much ...[text shortened]... elocated for lack of support. Oh yeah, because baseball shares
    revenue with small market teams.
    Oh really? The Packers don't do well? The Seahawks aren't doing well? The Vikings don't have one of the top win percentages of any franchise?

What about the San Antonio spurs? Or OKC Thunder? Or Indiana Pacers? Shall I go on?

You'll notice in both cases I can name teams that are having present success along with teams that have had sustained success over the years as small market franchises, you couldn't do the same with baseball.

You are smoking rocks, son.

The greed is in the MLB front offices. They don't mind letting the unequality reign to get a buck and like I said earlier, the MLB wants to keep the small market teams out of the black so they don't fold or else they wouldn't have anybody for the large market teams to beat every year so of course they share revenue.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 22:251 edit
    Oh really? The Packers don't do well? The Seahawks aren't doing well? The Vikings don't have one of the top win percentages of any franchise?

What about the San Antonio spurs? Or OKC Thunder? Or Indiana Pacers? Shall I go on?

You'll notice in both cases I can name teams that are having present success along with teams that have had sustained succe ...[text shortened]... dn't have anybody for the large market teams to beat every year so of course they share revenue.
    Tell me about New Orleans and Charlotte in the NBA
    Tell me about Seattle in the NBA

How many baseball teams are failing or have failed?
    None that I am aware of.

The NFL has teams pulling the plug when they don't get preferential
    stadium deals (see the Houston Oilers to Tennessee....see the Oakland
    Raiders to LA....see the Dallas Cowboys from Dallas to Irving to Arlington)

Yes, please continue to tell me where exactly the greed lies and where teams have failed.

EDIT: BTW, you are calling San Antonio a small market? You do realize that San Antonio is the 10th largest city in the US based on population right??
    LMAO!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree