Champions League - Last 8

Champions League - Last 8

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
11 Mar 09

So, folks, what's your guess?

I say Bayern, Villarreal, Porto, and Liverpool won't pass this one, unless they play each other, of course.

s

Moves
11 Mar 09

depends on draw mate but well done all 4 English sides includin Liverpool nice to see an all english semi

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Seitse
So, folks, what's your guess?

I say Bayern, Villarreal, Porto, and Liverpool won't pass this one, unless they play each other, of course.
I don't see Arsenal being that superior to some of those.

As a Porto fan, I think we're clearly the underdogs, along with Villarreal. I don't mind that status.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 09

Now, what about Bayern?

Certainly shoving 12 goals up Sporting's behind is not an indication of what they can do against, let's say, Chelsea, is it?

I would love to see them advancing, but I am afraid Sporting was not a true measure of their strength during hard times.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
12 Mar 09
1 edit

As mentioned above, it depends on the draw. But I'd say Man U, Chelsea, Barca, and Liverpool are the strongest remaining teams.

I'll be rooting on the Gunners, of course.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Fleabitten
As mentioned above, it depends on the draw. But I'd say Man U, Chelsea, Barca, and Liverpool are the strongest remaining teams.

I'll be rooting on the Gunners, of course.
Gooner! Yeea haaaaa! 🙂

If and only if Wenger takes the chance of playing Vela with v. Persie and Eduardo/Adebayor, I think we stand a chance, really, at least on the scoring side.

Of course, the defensive midfielder issue has to be solved first.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
12 Mar 09

Gooner! Yeea haaaaa! 🙂

If and only if Wenger takes the chance of playing Vela with v. Persie and Eduardo/Adebayor, I think we stand a chance, really, at least on the scoring side.

Of course, the defensive midfielder issue has to be solved first.
Vela's pure class. The goal he scored against Burnley last week was sublime. But I don't think Wenger's going to give him any CL time this year unless injuries force it. If everyone is healthy, he'll probably start Ade and RvP, with Bendtner and Eduardo coming off the bench. Personally, I'd start RvP and Eduardo, but that's just me.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by Fleabitten
Vela's pure class. The goal he scored against Burnley last week was sublime. But I don't think Wenger's going to give him any CL time this year unless injuries force it. If everyone is healthy, he'll probably start Ade and RvP, with Bendtner and Eduardo coming off the bench. Personally, I'd start RvP and Eduardo, but that's just me.
Good pick.

Eduardo has the motivation factor, indeed, though yesterday's miss was jaw dropping in my opinion. He has much more mental strength than that.

J

Moves
12 Mar 09

Wonderful to see all 4 teams from the best league in the world in the last 4!

Theirs as much chance of Villa winning the Premiership then Bayern, Porto, Arsenal or Villareal winning it CL though, playing each other is definitely the only way they can get through to the next round!

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by Jamesqt
the best league in the world
I would like to hear your arguments behind this opinion.

Moves
12 Mar 09

I would like to hear your arguments behind this opinion.
they don't have any.

how many non english peole do you know that says the PL is the best league in the world?

i know of only a few narrow minded irish and scottish people.

anyone outside the uk and ireland say la liga and i agree with them although i do have a soft spot for serie a.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
12 Mar 09
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
they don't have any.

how many non english peole do you know that says the PL is the best league in the world?

anyone outside the uk and ireland say la liga and i agree with them although i do have a soft spot for serie a.
Sorry, how do you define best?

The PL was very dominant in last year's CL and seems to be on a similar route this time. I really like that the 3 leagues have different types of football and I enjoy all, but the claim that the PL is currently the best doesn't seem that absurd to me.

Edit - And I'd say La Liga is the worst of the three at the moment.

J

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by trev33
they don't have any.

Oh we have lots, one obvious one is the fact that 3 of the 4 best clubs in the world is from the PL!!!!!

First of all I'm going to presume you've enough intelligence to realise that Seria A is miles behind la liga and the Prem and to suggest otherwise is been very stupid!

Every Irish person I know prefer the Prem to La Liga and the fact is theirs millions of people worldwide that think the Prem is the best league in the world. Yes Trev, millions all over the world!!! Theirs far more upsets and suprise results in the Prem and the releagtion battle is more competitive.

Anybody outside the UK and Ireland...you obviously don't realise how popular the Premiership is worldwide! Do you have any idea how many people support either ManU or Liverpool outside the UK? How much money that's in the Prem has a lot to do with how many millions of people have an emotional investment in a league that's very difficult to fault

The Spanish and Italian leagues use to be superior but if you open your eyes you would notice the shift in dominance and that fact that all the top players and managers in the world see the PL as the place to prove yourself!

Real and Barca are the only two Spanish teams worth watching and look at the state of Real against Liverpool!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by Jamesqt
First of all I'm going to presume you've enough intelligence to realise that Seria A is miles behind la liga (...) and to suggest otherwise is been very stupid!
😕

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Sorry, how do you define best?

The PL was very dominant in last year's CL and seems to be on a similar route this time. I really like that the 3 leagues have different types of football and I enjoy all, but the claim that the PL is currently the best doesn't seem that absurd to me.

Edit - And I'd say La Liga is the worst of the three at the moment.
best to watch i'm talking about.

you can only really judge a league without the top few teams imo. it's the rest that define if it's a good league or not. the tactical abilities of the middle teams in la liga is far greater than that of england and although closer, better than serie a as well.

given the choice to watch a bolton vs wigan or bilbao vs betis game it would be a no contest every day of the week for me.

i don't like the fact that there's 4 top teams in england and try as villa might i don't see that changing this or next season, the top clubs have too much money. it depends on who city buy as to what happens next year, my guess is they will mess it up like they have done with everything in the last 10 years or so.

yes barce and real are always going to be challenging each year but the the other two CL spots are up for grabs each year and i like that.