1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 16:31
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'm not a big fan of Rafa, but if I were in charge of Pool I would definitely not rest anyone for the Blackburn match and then see what happens with Man U. If MU drop points, then I would rest most players against Chelsea, unless Liverpool also dropped points.

If you want to put it in "YOUR quitter!" terms, then I can only smile at your naivety.
    And that's why I'm glad neither you nor Rafa are in charge of United.

2 games to define a season, and u think in terms of either/or.

I'd have been robbed of great nights like when United came back from 2-0 down to beat Juve away 3-2. If you or Rafa were in charge, United would probably have made some early subs to rest them for the other comps.

As it was, Fergie went for it and we ended up with THE treble. And life was good.

The discussion is for nothing anyway. A scientific study has already concluded that the Poo will finish at least 7 points behind the league winners, so the CL is the only trophy they have any chance of winning.

D
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 13:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'm not a big fan of Rafa, but if I were in charge of Pool I would definitely not rest anyone for the Blackburn match and then see what happens with Man U. If MU drop points, then I would rest most players against Chelsea, unless Liverpool also dropped points.

If you want to put it in "YOUR quitter!" terms, then I can only smile at your naivety.
    I definitely can't see Pool getting through myself but surely with the results against Man U and Real they have to believe that all they need is an early goal against Chelsea to be in with a chance of getting through, after all anything can happen in a one off game and they have already beaten them at the bridge!

Is their any chance of Porto not playing that well again on wednesday? 🙂
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 23:50
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    Is their any chance of Porto not playing that well again on wednesday?
    Definitely. We can be our worst enemies. 🙂
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 11:081 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    And that's why I'm glad neither you nor Rafa are in charge of United.

2 games to define a season, and u think in terms of either/or.

I'd have been robbed of great nights like when United came back from 2-0 down to beat Juve away 3-2. If you or Rafa were in charge, United would probably have made some early subs to rest them for the other comps.

...[text shortened]... behind the league winners, so the CL is the only trophy they have any chance of winning.

D
    A ridiculous comparison. United needed only two goals and it was a decision to be made in-game ("early subs" <> "not starting"😉. It was also in the last game of a semi-final, not a quarter final.

But I'm not surprised you don't think these things are relevant. Nor that you don't value the subtle rotation Ferguson has done in this very season, using the depth of MU's squad. After all, you're used to having super rich teams with benches full of internationals. Not everybody has that luxury.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 12:51
    Originally posted by Seitse
    So, folks, what's your guess?
    I say Bayern, Villarreal, Porto, and Liverpool won't pass this one, unless they play each other, of course.
    Given that these predictions were made before the draw was even made they are looking extremely impressive!

I can't see Bayern M putting 4 past Barca, even though Bayern have got an amazing home record. Arsenal should be able to beat Villarreal at home, particularly now Senna is injured. Fergie will turn his hairdryer up to maximum and Man Utd should overturn Porto (though the first leg result was a bit of a surprise). Chelsea have been rejuvenated by Guus - Liverpool won't get 3 past them at the Bridge.

Bizarrely, the riskiest part of these predictions is the Man Utd - Porto contest and you would have thought that Man Utd (for whom I have no love at all, btw) would be certs for the semis at least.

Looking good for an interesting couple of days of footy!
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 23:30
    So, folks, what's your guess?

I say Bayern, Villarreal, Porto, and Liverpool won't pass this one, unless they play each other, of course.
    Spot on, well done!
  7. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 10:09
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    Spot on, well done!
    Agreed. Excellent pre-draw call. Now, o great prognositcator, tell us who's playing in the finals.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 10:46
    Thanks! Thanks! I am humbled by your praise, gentlemen.
  9. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 11:24
    HOWABOUT A REPEAT OF LAST YEAR GOIN TO PENS AS WELL
  10. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 13:54
    Hopefully it'll be Arsenal vs. Barcelona.
  11. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 13:56
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Hopefully it'll be Arsenal vs. Barcelona.
    I would love that! But I think it'll be Man U and Barca.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 14:06
    I really, really can't tell the outcome of Arsenal - Manchester. I'm a Gooner, after all.

However, I can say the following: Chelsea will go to the final.

*drumroll*
  13. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 14:52
    I really, really can't tell the outcome of Arsenal - Manchester. I'm a Gooner, after all.

However, I can say the following: Chelsea will go to the final.

*drumroll*
    Much as I dislike Man U, I have to say Ronaldo's goal was sick. Just sick.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree