1. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 21:57
    I seem to remember Bobby Robson (when he was at Newcastle) saying that the difference between finishing 5th and 4th is a massive step.However Aston Villa have the best opportunity to do it,the team are still relativly young,O'Neil is a shrewd manager,Randy Learner let's him call all the shot's and provides him with the money.A case in point in comparison with other clubs were they are building at a steady pace.I wish them luck in finishing in the top 4 perhaps in 2010/11.
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 06:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I don't see Arsenal being that superior to some of those.

As a Porto fan, I think we're clearly the underdogs, along with Villarreal. I don't mind that status.
    when playing 'english' teams now all other european club teams are underdogs

The leagues in the other european countires are very weak compared to the class we have in the EPL.

Porto would be a mid-table team in the PL as would the majority of european teams.

The strength in dept of Man U, Chealsea, Livepoor and to some extant Arseanl are unmatchable in europe at the moment.

Look how well liverpool and arsenal have done in europe compared to how they have done domestically.

United are by far the strongest club team in the world and the likes of chelsea and the other two are all in the top 6 or 7 clubs teams in world football
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 06:34
    Agreed 100% with JameSqt.. the PL is regsarded my many o/s the UK as the best league as well

Go to the far east and see how mnay kids are wearing the man u and chealsea tops, i even saw one boy in india witha arsenal top on.

Over the last few seaosns the PL hase overtaken all other world leagues as the best in the world, not just by the performance of the PL teams in world events but also the fact that most of the worlds top players are now concidering to have already come to the PL

Ronaldo, ballack, chech, vidji, tevez, barbatov, modic to name just 7, all regarding as some of the best players at the monet in world football and all playing for english teams

Only a few are still not here, messie and kaka spring to mind, but over all most of the top stars now play in the PL
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 09:471 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Porto would be a mid-table team in the PL as would the majority of european teams.
    Yes, and if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

The FACT is that Porto stayed above Arsenal and Liverpool in the group stages in this and last season and ended with the same points as Arsenal in the 2006-07 campaign. And this without anything similar as PL sponsorship and tv revenues.

We have been clearly better over the last years than teams like Aston Villa, Manchester City, Everton or Tottenham and only a numpty like yourself would claim otherwise. I would even say that we've also been better than Arsenal whose European trophy room pales in comparison to ours, as Porto has more UEFA cups AND European Cups/CLs and we can't both competitions at the same time.
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 11:00
    Over the last few seaosns the PL hase overtaken all other world leagues as the best in the world, not just by the performance of the PL teams in world events but also the fact that most of the worlds top players are now concidering to have already come to the PL
    To be fair, a good portion of the world's top players have gone to the PL Clubs that have been backed/bought out by multi-millionaire investors that throw endless supplies of money at them to pay for ridiculous transfer fees and wages. If it wasn't for those investors, I doubt most of the players would have come over to the PL.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 14:55

The FACT is that Porto stayed above Arsenal and Liverpool in the group stages in this and last season and ended with the same points as Arsenal in the 2006-07 campaign. And this without anything similar as PL sponsorship and tv revenues.

We have been clearly better over the last years than teams like ...[text shortened]... orto has more UEFA cups AND European Cups/CLs and we can't both competitions at the same time.
    last 10 years porto 1 uefa cup and 1 CL.

utd - 2 CL's

arsenal - 0

chelsea - 0

liverpool - 1 CL

say what english league fans.....mid table you say? please.
  7. 6yd box
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:02

We have been clearly better over the last years than teams like ...[text shortened]... orto has more UEFA cups AND European Cups/CLs and we can't both competitions at the same time.
    Popecock my friend
    if u had to play 38 league games in the PL Porto to struggle..they are about the same standard as Spurs- mid-table

Lets not forget like the majority of the PL teams Porta, Benfica and Lisbern have been nothing but feeder clubs to the likes of Man U (ronaldo, nani, anderson to name 3) Spurs have given united carrick and Barbatov.

How competitve is your league realy....what domestic competition do Porto face every season....?!!!
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:06
    Originally posted by trev33
    last 10 years porto 1 uefa cup and 1 CL.

utd - 2 CL's

arsenal - 0

chelsea - 0

liverpool - 1 CL

say what english league fans.....mid table you say? please.
    well 4 season ago Liverpool finished 5th in the domestic league but won the CL---that about sums it up for me. Thats how stonge the rest of the europen clubs are that they were not good enough to beat an 'english' team which only finished 5th!!

English teams are the best in the world, have the best support (look how many games we have to go to and how far we have to travel just of domestic games, compared to the rest of europe)

year in ,,year out ENGLISH teams have out performed the european club teams.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:17
    Popecock my friend
    if u had to play 38 league games in the PL Porto to struggle..they are about the same standard as Spurs- mid-table

Lets not forget like the majority of the PL teams Porta, Benfica and Lisbern have been nothing but feeder clubs to the likes of Man U (ronaldo, nani, anderson to name 3) Spurs have given united carrick and Barbatov.

How competitve is your league realy....what domestic competition do Porto face every season....?!!!
    Are you stupid? I mentioned only European games where there is common ground.

Feeder club is an hilarious concept. When Figo went to Madrid was Barcelona a feeder club? When Beckham went to Madrid (and eventually Ronaldo), one of ManU's greatest stars, did that make it a feeder club?

People pay €20 million for Paulo Ferreira, we sell. Or €30 million for Anderson, we sell.

Feeder club? Call it what you want. I call it great business management. And it allows to be up there with the big boys. And Spurs can't even sniff our behinds.

For the last 20 years you've been a Uefa team cup and despite being there more often than Porto, you won less. And that, my friend, is a FACT.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:181 edit
    well 4 season ago Liverpool finished 5th in the domestic league but won the CL---that about sums it up for me. Thats how stonge the rest of the europen clubs are that they were not good enough to beat an 'english' team which only finished 5th!!

English teams are the best in the world, have the best support (look how many games we have to go to and how f ...[text shortened]... est of europe)

And teams 1-4 in England? Weren't good enough for Liverpool either? You do know that they were competing as well, don't you?

Try to be more consistent with your arguments here. This isn't your local pub where the average guy talking to you has had 6 pints already and he's just starting.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:46

English teams are the best in the world, have the best support (look how many games we have to go to and how f ...[text shortened]... est of europe)

LMAO

so when porto beat man utd and went on the win the CL they were in fact no better than spurs who did what that year exactly?

hell even rangers and celtic have been to a final in europe over the last few years, the mid table english clubs have done nothing. because they are nothing. year after year every other country produces good uefa cup teams while england does nothing, too busy struggling with the like of bolton and wigan.

english football below the top 4 is poor at best. and to say that porto quarter final in the CL this season and recent past winners are not good enough to compete with the top english clubs is ridiculous.

do you want to hear the CL group standings again with porto and english clubs in the last few years?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 18:043 edits
    LMAO

so when porto beat man utd and went on the win the CL they were in fact no better than spurs who did what that year exactly?

hell even rangers and celtic have been to a final in europe over the last few years, the mid table english clubs have done nothing. because they are nothing. year after year every other country produces good uefa cup teams w ...[text shortened]... ou want to hear the CL group standings again with porto and english clubs in the last few years?
    Thanks for the support trev.

To be clear, I'm not saying Porto ("as is" ) would compete for the title in the PL. I'm just saying that Porto ("as is" ) is better than most, if not all, non-top-4 teams in England. I would take even odds with any of them in a two-legged match.

But I'm also saying that it's ridiculous to compare how teams would fare in other leagues "as is". Porto has a budget which is much inferior to most PL teams, but it's much better managed (not necessarily coached). I think we have undoubtedly some of the best scouts in Europe and good opportunity to showcase new talent. So it's insane to hypothesize about what Porto would be if it was in Newcastle.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 18:35
    Thanks for the support trev.

To be clear, I'm not saying Porto ("as is" ) would compete for the title in the PL. I'm just saying that Porto ("as is" ) is better than most, if not all, non-top-4 teams in England. I would take even odds with any of them in a two-legged match.

But I'm also saying that it's ridiculous to compare how teams would fare in oth ...[text shortened]... ent. So it's insane to hypothesize about what Porto would be if it was in Newcastle.
    i agree.

i know you can't really say how they would fair if they were an english club but as they are now if they had to play one season in the pl they would be challenging for a top 5 spot without doubt.

recent history has proven that proto are a top european side, the same can't be said for the vast majority of english clubs.
  14. 6yd box
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 07:39
    i agree.

i know you can't really say how they would fair if they were an english club but as they are now if they had to play one season in the pl they would be challenging for a top 5 spot without doubt.

recent history has proven that proto are a top european side, the same can't be said for the vast majority of english clubs.
    i am afried i totally disagree with bothof u.

The likes of everton and villa are far better teams then their equavalents in other european leagues.

If fact i would go as far to say that in most european leages everton and villa would finish in the top 4 year after year.

Look how many 'english' clubs have won the no.1 european club trophy over the last 25 years compared to how many diffirent claubs fromother leagues.

YES it is true that at the moment 4 teams dominate the PL, infact ever since the PL come in to being only blackburn have won the PL outside of the 'top 4'

HOWEVEY my point is that in other contries this monopoly of dominance by a few clubs whch we have now had in england in the last 15 years has been the nome in other european leagues for 0ver 30 years.

Spain..always REAL or BACO, Italy domenated by AC, Inter and Juv; ve,Portugal always Porta, Sporting Lisbern or Befinca..

Now thats a fact which u both know.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 14:53
    i am afried i totally disagree with bothof u.

The likes of everton and villa are far better teams then their equavalents in other european leagues.

If fact i would go as far to say that in most european leages everton and villa would finish in the top 4 year after year.

Look how many 'english' clubs have won the no.1 european club trophy over the la ...[text shortened]... ting Lisbern or Befinca..

Now thats a fact which u both know.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!
    Look how many 'english' clubs have won the no.1 european club trophy over the last 25 years compared to how many diffirent claubs fromother leagues.

that would be 2 you retard.

ok lets look at the last 25 years. i was just looking at the last 10 years because you can only really judge this on recent history.

liverpoll - 2
    man utd - 2

so out of 25 CL's in the last 25 years we have 4 titles from 2 english clubs.

milan - 5
    juve - 2

porto 2 (oh look same as utd and liverpool - where is your spurs, villa and everton?)

bace - 2
    real - 3

munchen - 1
    dortmund - 1

psv - 1
    ajax - 1

and the rest from countries with 1 CL.

now lets look at your quote again and have a little giggle

now just in case you say that you mean the uefa cup and cup winners cup as well. lets do them too.

uefa cup.

england has 2 cup in the last 25 years.

liverpool - 1
    spurs - 1

sevilla - 2 (giggles again - equaling englands total in just one club who isn't, oh wait lets do another quote of yours Spain..always REAL or BACO you numpty.

real - 2
    valencia - 1

porto - 1 (i'm sorry what were you saying about porto?)

inter - 3
    parma - 2
    juve - 2
    napoli - 1

munchen - 1
    leverkusen - 1
    schalke - 1

ajax - 1
    feyenoord -1

and a few 1 country winners. notice how i'm just doing holland and germany as well as the 'top 3' countries and porto. will be explained later again more laughs at you with that one.

cup winners cup.

man utd - 1
    chelsea - 1
    everton - 1
    arsenal - 1

juve - 1
    lazio - 1
    parma - 1
    sampdoria - 1

barce - 2
    zaragoza - 1

ajax - 1

bremen - 1

now there's a reason there's no cup winners cup anymore but you said european trouphies so we have to add it, luckily for you but there's no doubt it's the least important of the 3 by far hence it being scrapped.

so we have in the CL.

england: 4 cups from 2 team
    spain: 5 cups from 2 team
    italy: 7 cups from 2 teams.

porto: 2 cups
    holland: 2 cups from 2 teams
    germany: 2 cups from 2 teams.

uefa cup

england: 2 cups 1 different team (liverpool already having won the CL)
    spain: 5 cups 2 different clubs
    italy: 8 from 3 different clubs

porto - 1
    holland: 2 fro 1 different.
    germany: 3 from 2 different.

cup winners cup.

england: 4 from 3 different.
    spain: 3 from 1 different
    italy: 4 fro 2 different.

holland: 1 cup
    germany: 1 cup from 1 different.

so it total.

england: 10 european cups from 6 clubs
    spain: 11 from 5
    italy: 19 from 7

porto: 3
    holland: 4 from 3
    germany: 6 from 5.

so there it is. 5 german teams have one at least one cup and 6 english clubs have won at least one cup. holland has half the number of team with at least one cup, does that mean the dutch league is only half as bad as the multi million pound english league? of course not, it sucks monkey balls. spain has beaten england in terms of cups but not of teams so you could say that it's about even, lucky for you for the crappy cup winners cup. but italy has emphatically beaten everyone so if you want to state that retarded reason for the english league being so great lets look at italy and bow to your footballing god.

you're an idiot, i could do this with 90% of what you say. it's proven here you say the most ridiculous things and you have no credibility on this forum. this is my last ever reply to anything you say because you're talking through your ass most of the time but you're also blind to it. this is the sign of a total retard.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!

idiot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree