Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    21 Aug '08 13:53
    Have to say the behaviour of the English fans last night would have been laughable if it wasn't so lacking in sportsmanship.

    For some reason, english "supporters" think they have a divine right to win football matches. When the going gets tough, instead of supporting their team, they start booing.

    Booed Lampard when he went off: fair enough, he had a stinker.
    Booed the man of the match announcement.
    The most laughable was when they booed when the announcer said that there would be 4 minutes of extra time at the end of the game, while 1 goal down and dominating (with the introduction of the fresh legs)

    I come from a culture in Ireland, whereby the team is out there to play their sport. If I decide to attend a game, then I do so as a supporter, to help the boys on the pitch, and hopefully, gain some enjoyment myself. English fans seem to have the mentality that the players owe them something, which, they clearly do not.

    I hereby, officially announce English soccer fans to be the worst, most unsporting fans in the world. FACT!! And I haven't even mentioned the hooligans.

    D
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    21 Aug '08 16:02
    I didn't see the whole match, but from what I saw the lack of commitment was all too evident.

    If it went on like that for the whole game, I think a general boo in the end would have been appropriate (along with booing players out when they're subbed).

    Of course, booing announcements can only be explained out of boredom.
  3. Standard member asromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    21 Aug '08 16:57
    I didn't see any of it, but the choice of goalkeeper summed it all up for me, I thought, simply, is this the best we have? Unfortunately for our excellent manager, it is the best we have, across the whole squad. Even if we do have some quality in places, silk purses and sows' ears spring to mind, I can only wish him luck.
  4. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    21 Aug '08 20:26
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    I didn't see any of it, but the choice of goalkeeper summed it all up for me, I thought, simply, is this the best we have? Unfortunately for our excellent manager, it is the best we have, across the whole squad. Even if we do have some quality in places, silk purses and sows' ears spring to mind, I can only wish him luck.
    David James has been brilliant the last few seasons.

    Wes Brown was far and away the man of the match last night. A goal, and an assist, about 80% of the crosses, made up for Beckham's lack of legs by getting forward at every opportunity and got in some vital tackles.

    The crowd were even booing when the ambitious Bentley and Downing came on and started to make things happen. England had no shape before that because Beckham has no discipline (how many throw-in#'s did he take) and refuses to play where he is put (one of the reasons he was shipped out of United was his tendency to centralise, when most of United's goals historically come via the wing), leaving Beckham, Barry, Lampard and Gerrard in the centre, with very little width.

    Becks, Lamps and Gerrard are also prone to trying to outdo each other with their 60 yard passes (same happened when Beckham and Veron were in the United team together), so football gets forgotten in favour of the potential adoration which goes along with a huge pass. Last night none of the aforementioned 3 could complete a long pass, (Wes Brown was the only player who could) meaning that the meat and veg of football (pass and move) was forgotten and England gave the ball away time and again.

    I reckon Capello left Becks on for the 90 to see how he went. IMHO, I reckon Capello will now put Beckham out to stud, and I'd be very surprised if he's seen in an England shirt again. He managed 1 good cross last night out of 30+, something which Bentley achieved with his first corner.

    England also need to play with 2 true wingers, Downing, Young, Bentley are good candidates. Players with real energy and the ability to beat players.

    D
  5. 21 Aug '08 21:20
    The fans have paid a lot of money to go to and watch the game.
    The team last night was sheeeet.

    New manager, but the same sheeet performance. That team he picked was a joke. Football is a team game, we had 11 individuals playing out there last night.

    English players have a right to boo the team. We hear that lampard has signed a new 180,000 a week contract, then he comes and and plays rubbish.
    what do you expect the supporters to do?
  6. Standard member asromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    21 Aug '08 21:23
    Originally posted by spurs73
    The fans have paid a lot of money to go to and watch the game.
    The team last night was sheeeet.

    New manager, but the same sheeet performance. That team he picked was a joke. Football is a team game, we had 11 individuals playing out there last night.

    English players have a right to boo the team. We hear that lampard has signed a new 180,000 a week contract, then he comes and and plays rubbish.
    what do you expect the supporters to do?
    Pretty much, yes, but I'm a HUGE Capello fan and I think he's got his work cut out. Maybe he's partly to blame, but think about this, if he really does pick his best players and plays them in their best positions, how different would it really be to last night?
  7. 23 Aug '08 19:06
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Pretty much, yes, but I'm a HUGE Capello fan and I think he's got his work cut out. Maybe he's partly to blame, but think about this, if he really does pick his best players and plays them in their best positions, how different would it really be to last night?
    well lets look at the facts, he has picked the same side that erickson picked 3 years ago...James, beckham..goodness sake!

    How about this team.... young English Lions
    GREEN

    RICHARDS
    RIO
    TERRY
    A.COLE

    BENTLEY
    GARRARD
    CARRICK
    YOUNG

    ASHTON
    ROONEY

    Subs: cason, defoe, Lescott, Barry, Lampard, Agonlahorne. J.cole
  8. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    24 Aug '08 07:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    well lets look at the facts, he has picked the same side that erickson picked 3 years ago...James, beckham..goodness sake!

    How about this team.... young English Lions
    GREEN

    RICHARDS
    RIO
    TERRY
    A.COLE

    BENTLEY
    GARRARD
    CARRICK
    YOUNG

    ASHTON
    ROONEY

    Subs: cason, defoe, Lescott, Barry, Lampard, Agonlahorne. J.cole
    Great idea to drop the only guy who played against the Czechs... Wes Brown. Richards is a great prospect, but not ready for full international football yet.

    As for the team, the Czechs were the first decent team that England have played under Capello. Now that Beckham, et al have been found out, we won't see him again in a competitive match.

    Why has Hargreaves not even gotten a mention? Apart from that, you're midfield looks about right.

    I think I'd prefer Agbonlahor up front with Rooney, but Ashton is decent.

    [edit] I don't rate Carson as a keeper. Found out again this weekend.

    D
  9. 24 Aug '08 08:13
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Great idea to drop the only guy who played against the Czechs... Wes Brown. Richards is a great prospect, but not ready for full international football yet.

    As for the team, the Czechs were the first decent team that England have played under Capello. Now that Beckham, et al have been found out, we won't see him again in a competitive match.

    Why has ...[text shortened]... on is decent.

    [edit] I don't rate Carson as a keeper. Found out again this weekend.

    D
    i think the main problem for england at the moment is we dont have a lot of forwords to pick from.

    If you look at the 'top 4' in the PL who have been dominating for the last 10=15 years, Arsenal, man U, Liverpool and Chelsea...at present and even for the last 5-8 years have only one English forward in their team.

    Rooney is the only englishman who plays as a stricker for any ofthe top 4..that sums it up for me!!
  10. 24 Aug '08 15:08
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Have to say the behaviour of the English fans last night would have been laughable if it wasn't so lacking in sportsmanship.

    For some reason, english "supporters" think they have a divine right to win football matches. When the going gets tough, instead of supporting their team, they start booing.

    Booed Lampard when he went off: fair enough, he had a ...[text shortened]... most unsporting fans in the world. FACT!! And I haven't even mentioned the hooligans.

    D
    England fans are right to be booing the team, the 2 best teams in the world have a number of English players and with their squad they should be one of the favourites to win the 2010 world cup!

    Instead their destined to underperform again as their overpaid individuals that can't grasp the concept of playing as a team!!!
  11. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    24 Aug '08 15:24
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    England fans are right to be booing the team, the 2 best teams in the world have a number of English players and with their squad they should be one of the favourites to win the 2010 world cup!

    Instead their destined to underperform again as their overpaid individuals that can't grasp the concept of playing as a team!!!
    So, the players owe you something? You're not actually a "supporter" at all. For some reason, you see yourself simply as a deserved recipient of wins?

    Do the players hold a gun to your head to force you to go/watch?

    D
  12. 25 Aug '08 01:59
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    So, the players owe you something? You're not actually a "supporter" at all. For some reason, you see yourself simply as a deserved recipient of wins?

    Do the players hold a gun to your head to force you to go/watch?

    D
    well the players do "owe the fans somethng".

    the tickets we buy helps to play part of their wages, the sky sports subs we take out, hlep to pay their wages.
  13. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    25 Aug '08 08:55
    Originally posted by spurs73
    well the players do "owe the fans somethng".

    the tickets we buy helps to play part of their wages, the sky sports subs we take out, hlep to pay their wages.
    I didn't realise the players forced you into buying digital sports packages.

    I think your post exemplifies what is fundamentally wrong with the English "fan".

    D
  14. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    25 Aug '08 09:12
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    So, the players owe you something? You're not actually a "supporter" at all. For some reason, you see yourself simply as a deserved recipient of wins?

    Do the players hold a gun to your head to force you to go/watch?

    D
    When you buy a ticket (for any type of performance) there is a minimum of professionalism that is expected. In that sense the players do "owe" something to the spectators.

    If the players on the pitch were trying hard but just having a bad day, then I would agree with you completely. But when you see them just pretending to play but really just saving themselves for the league, then surely they must expect to be booed.
  15. 25 Aug '08 09:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I didn't realise the players forced you into buying digital sports packages.

    I think your post exemplifies what is fundamentally wrong with the English "fan".

    D
    i did not say that..lets not get silly about it.

    Fans are just as much part of sports as sportsmen/women are.

    The sportsmen/women perform for fans as entertainers.. this is more ture for footballers and other team sports then any other sports