1. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    25 May '10 14:08
    Not quite the Broad Street Bullies, but this post season has been magical, starting with the shoot out the last game of the year, just to get in the playoffs. The whole season came down to that shot.
    Then the Bruins series which we were down 3 games to zip and came back and won it, with the seventh game come back in which they were down 3-0. It's so great to beat the Habs in route to the cup!
  2. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    25 May '10 14:12
    FLYERS Lucky number: The number 35.
    1.) On Tuesday, the Flyers recorded their second consecutive playoff shutout for the first time in 35 years. (they now have three from that series)

2.) By winning Game 7 in Boston, the Flyers became the first NHL team in 35 years to win a series after losing the first three games.

3.) The Flyers are trying to win a Stanley Cup for the first time in 35 years.

4.) 35-year-old defenseman Chris Pronger is DEFENSE.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 May '10 14:22
    The Flyers are going to face their best competition yet in the Blackhawks. Forget about how good Leighton was in the last (anemic) series, the real test starts now against the more smooth skating, puck moving team. The Flyers have a likable team, full of grit, great home crowd, and I think that will serve them well in winning a couple games but I can't help but put my money on the Hawks.

Chicago in 6
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 May '10 15:55
    I hate to throw cold water on a magical run and the Flyers did a great job to get here (especially when they were down in the 3rd period of that last regular season game), but they really had a historically easy road for a 7 seed. They got to play both the 6 and the 8 seeds on the way to the finals; and both are basically mediocre teams.

By all logic, the Hawks should win in 5 or so. That being said, anything's possible in the NHL. Maybe the Flyers win in 4. Who knows?
  5. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    27 May '10 14:44
    Since you're laying predictions out there: I don't think the Blackhawks can win on Philly's ice, but Flyers still have to steal one in Chicago, which will come down to game 7 in Chicago, on a Friday night. Phew... gotta go Philly in 7. Spoken like a true homer.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 May '10 15:36
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Since you're laying predictions out there: I don't think the Blackhawks can win on Philly's ice, but Flyers still have to steal one in Chicago, which will come down to game 7 in Chicago, on a Friday night. Phew... gotta go Philly in 7. Spoken like a true homer.
    Home ice is basically irrelevant in the playoffs. There's some evidence that it has some marginal impact in a Game 7; but that's about it.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 May '10 16:382 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Home ice is basically irrelevant in the playoffs. There's some evidence that it has some marginal impact in a Game 7; but that's about it.
    Less relevant than the NFL, yes -- Basically irrelevant, bit of a stretch. I'm sure if you ask any player they would rather play at home than on the road. The amount of road wins in this year's playoffs is hardly indicative of the sport or game as a whole. Players like playing at home. The crowd cheers spur them on. That's where the advantage lies. Don't tell me the home crowd didn't have anything to do with Philly's comeback in Game 7 of the Boston series at home.

It is interesting to note that Chicago has won 7 road games in a row heading into this series.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 May '10 16:542 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Less relevant than the NFL, yes -- Basically irrelevant, bit of a stretch. I'm sure if you ask any player they would rather play at home than on the road. The amount of road wins in this year's playoffs is hardly indicative of the sport or game as a whole. Players like playing at home. The crowd cheers spur them on. That's where the advantage lies. Don s interesting to note that Chicago has won 7 road games in a row heading into this series.
    I'm going by the data, which indicates that home ice in the playoffs is only a very small edge if at all; and it's not just this year. It's a consistency in the playoffs. Home teams typically win about 50% of the time; maybe slightly more.

Sometimes, being at home can be a disadvantage too, such as when the fans are screaming "shooooooot" as you're moving the puck around on a powerplay.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 May '10 17:03
    I'm going by the data, which indicates that home ice in the playoffs is only a very small edge if at all; and it's not just this year. It's a consistency in the playoffs. Home teams typically win about 50% of the time; maybe slightly more.

Sometimes, being at home can be a disadvantage too, such as when the fans are screaming "shooooooot" as you're moving the puck around on a powerplay.
    I hear ya on the shoot thing -- that's all you can usually hear in the upper bowl at the ACC.

As for the data, care to share or am I going to have to take your word for it?
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 May '10 19:35
    It would be nice to see Philly the underdog win the cup. ( I always like to see the underdog win)

I don't think this will happen.

I am going to have to say Black Hawks will win.

Although I did count Montreal who has been my team since I was 6yrs old out in the first and second rounds. It was just a matter of time, a goalie can only take you so far without a lot of help.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 May '10 11:49
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    It would be nice to see Philly the underdog win the cup. ( I always like to see the underdog win)

I don't think this will happen.

I am going to have to say Black Hawks will win.

Although I did count Montreal who has been my team since I was 6yrs old out in the first and second rounds. It was just a matter of time, a goalie can only take you so far without a lot of help.
    Black Hawks in 5! Perhaps even a sweep! BTW, what the heck is a Hab?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 May '10 13:07
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    BTW, what the heck is a Hab?
    What are you even doing in this thread?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '10 14:17
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I hear ya on the shoot thing -- that's all you can usually hear in the upper bowl at the ACC.

As for the data, care to share or am I going to have to take your word for it?
    Hmmm. Can't seem to find it readily available on the net.

I guess I'll have to compile my own data... maybe over the weekend...
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    28 May '10 16:231 edit
    Ifonly there were a way they could both lose. I hate finals where I hate both teams.

Remember Al Secord? The only player in NHL history to record 40 goals and 300 penalty minutes in a single season. I hated that bum. Savard too.

The Bullies made hockey totally boring.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:05

Whatever home advantage exists in the NHL, its clearly much less than the advantage in the NBA or NFL. I've always wondered why this is the case.

Most theories about the advantages of playing at home focus on things like the stresses of travel or the familiarity of being in your own building or the support from the home-crowd. But the NHL has just as much of this as the other sports. Something else plays a very strong role. Something that's present in the NBA and the NFL, but not present in the NHL. What is it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree