1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 May '10 18:45
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Something that's present in the NBA and the NFL, but not present in the NHL. What is it?
    A lack of parity.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 May '10 19:501 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    What are you even doing in this thread?
    Piping in. What are you doing in this thread? Can you answer the stinking question or not? Not to worry. I found my own answer. Historic American Buildings Survey! Wait a minute, it's something really stupid like Les Habitants! I shoulda known it would be a Candianism of the dumbest order!
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 May '10 20:46
    Originally posted by darvlay
    A lack of parity.
    But parity should make home advantage more noticeable, not less.

If a really good team is playing a really bad team, the really good team is almost certain to win no matter where the game is being played. But these types of games are much rarer when there's a lot of parity in the league.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 May '10 13:53
    Black Hawks up 1-0. Three to go! Wild game indeed. Hope the rest are as entertaining! I thought the series was gonna be all about the D!
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 May '10 04:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Piping in. What are you doing in this thread? Can you answer the stinking question or not? Not to worry. I found my own answer. Historic American Buildings Survey! Wait a minute, it's something really stupid like Les Habitants! I shoulda known it would be a Candianism of the dumbest order!
    Are you still sore about the Gold Medal in the Olympics? 😛
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    31 May '10 10:51
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Are you still sore about the Gold Medal in the Olympics? 😛
    Nah! You know I simply can't resist a jab at darvlay. He and I butt heads periodically. Also, he questioned my very right to chime in. You know I love and admire Canada. I may not know much about hockey, but I can certainly post a comment or two now can't I? I also tend to forget he's not the only Canadian on the thread.

So are you a Flier or Black Hawk?
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 May '10 23:361 edit
    Nah! You know I simply can't resist a jab at darvlay. He and I butt heads periodically. Also, he questioned my very right to chime in. You know I love and admire Canada. I may not know much about hockey, but I can certainly post a comment or two now can't I? I also tend to forget he's not the only Canadian on the thread.

So are you a Flier or Black Hawk?
    I would like to see the underdogs win (Philly in my mind)

I think the Hawks should win it though.

There are Canadian Players on both those teams. 😉

Heart and doing what it takes to win comes into the play now. I think you throw stats and other stuff out the window at this point.

My Habs (Monteal Canadians) are gone now so my team is out. Local boy Sidney Crosby is gone. Now I am just hockey fan, who enjoys watching the best two teams left standing playing for Lord Stanleys Cup!
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 03:17
    I would like to see the underdogs win (Philly in my mind)

I think the Hawks should win it though.

There are Canadian Players on both those teams. 😉

Heart and doing what it takes to win comes into the play now. I think you throw stats and other stuff out the window at this point.

My Habs (Monteal Canadians) are gone now so my team is out. L ...[text shortened]... hockey fan, who enjoys watching the best two teams left standing playing for Lord Stanleys Cup!
    That's the attitude, my friend! I may not know much about the game, but enjoy it nonetheless. I appreciate you not taking umbrage at my jab at darvlay. Sidney Crosby is a great hero on the ice. Don't know anything about him off the ice. I love June. Stanley Cup, NBA finals, and this year World Cup. Does not get better than that.

Tonight's game was hugely entertaining. Hawks made the right adjustments on D and Fliers were unable to score after cutting lead in half despite tenacious attack! NIemi played standing on his head indeed! Some goalie! 2-0, baby!!! Too early to smell sweep, but I am halfway there. My prediction was Blackhawks in 5.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 04:121 edit
    That's the attitude, my friend! I may not know much about the game, but enjoy it nonetheless. I appreciate you not taking umbrage at my jab at darvlay. Sidney Crosby is a great hero on the ice. Don't know anything about him off the ice. I love June. Stanley Cup, NBA finals, and this year World Cup. Does not get better than that.

Tonight's game was hu ...[text shortened]... baby!!! Too early to smell sweep, but I am halfway there. My prediction was Blackhawks in 5.
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Philly win both back at home. That Philly crowd is a rough bunch and always right into the faces of the opposition players literally. It is like having a 7th man on the ice. I think the games have been far too close to call it in five.

The world cup is a joke as far as I am concerned as the best players are not there. It appeared the Russians had it all but a done deal with 14 players from the Olympics. I guess Gold just wasn't in the cards for them this year.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 11:321 edit
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Philly win both back at home. That Philly crowd is a rough bunch and always right into the faces of the opposition players literally. It is like having a 7th man on the ice. I think the games have been far too close to call it in five.

The world cup is a joke as far as I am concerned as the best players are not the ...[text shortened]... l with 14 players from the Olympics. I guess Gold just wasn't in the cards for them this year.
    I think Flyers really have their hands full. Hawks are getting better and making the right adjustments on D. They looked way better than the first game. Flyer's one goal last night was a total fluke. They were very lucky the empty net goal shot glanced off the frame. I do agree it is closer than the 2-0 suggests and Hawks need to attack more. Niemi canno possibly play as well as he did last night all series. Philly sports crowds are famously rough! Plus they hate Chicago. I love everything Chicago except the Bears.

I was referring to the South Africa World Cup, not hockey. Best players in the world will be there indeed! Of course I'm rooting for USA. Spain might take it because I think this is their year, but Argentina, Brazil are quite strong.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 14:54
    I thought Philly played well last night, especially in the third period.

That being said, I don't think this series is going more than 5 games.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 18:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    I thought Philly played well last night, especially in the third period.

That being said, I don't think this series is going more than 5 games.
    You can both say VR you were correct later. 😉
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 18:08
    I think Flyers really have their hands full. Hawks are getting better and making the right adjustments on D. They looked way better than the first game. Flyer's one goal last night was a total fluke. They were very lucky the empty net goal shot glanced off the frame. I do agree it is closer than the 2-0 suggests and Hawks need to attack more. Niemi cann ...[text shortened]... pain might take it because I think this is their year, but Argentina, Brazil are quite strong.
    My mistake, I thought you were talking world hockey cup as this is a thread about the Flyers & Hockey. 😉
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 20:44
    My mistake, I thought you were talking world hockey cup as this is a thread about the Flyers & Hockey. 😉
    My bad. I forget there is a hockey WC as well as footie! As for the Stanley Cup. I really think Flyers will deflate as the series goes and they are unable to score against Niemi. Once a golaie gets hot it's hard to get them to screw up. The one goal last night was an absolute fluke!
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jun '10 03:29
    My bad. I forget there is a hockey WC as well as footie! As for the Stanley Cup. I really think Flyers will deflate as the series goes and they are unable to score against Niemi. Once a golaie gets hot it's hard to get them to screw up. The one goal last night was an absolute fluke!
    The scores have been 6-5 and 2-1...I would say Philly can score.

A goalie can be hot and cold in the same series. "Two goals in 28 seconds was the difference". Philly played very well in the 3rd period. Lets not count all our chickens till they actually hatch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree