Moves
    06 Jun '10 16:42
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Leino
    Giroux
    Conn Smythe
    Trophy
    Defenseman (US)

The Conn Smythe trophy is for the playoff MVP, not the series. It's also not limited to defencemen.

Gotta love bandwagon jumpers.
    Not me! Hawk all the way! I think Hawks will win convincingly tonight indeed! Flyers are looking awful good, however!
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jun '10 18:171 edit
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    He 'll be the series defense man mvp for sure, is that the Con-Smythe trophie? Regardless of a Flyers win or loss, I still say Flyers in 7 though, I think they lose in Chicago tonight.
    IF the flyers do win tonight, the Hawks could be in really big trouble going back. That would be crushing at this point after leading the series 2-0 and lots of the so called experts calling Hawks in 5.

If the Flyers go on to win the cup Pronger will win the MVP.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '10 21:32
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    That is probably more how you roll not me. 😛

If you are going to come in and bugger up our hockey thread, I may go in and do the same in your sissy soccer threads. 😉
    feel free, you don't annoy me... only the others 😛

btw i like hockey.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 02:06
    You Cannuck hockey connoseurs, please explain why upon the delayed penalty call in Hawk's second goal, since the power play actually did not begin, I'm assuming this was a full strength goal. Why is the power play not immediately started after the goal. I can understand after scoring on the actual power play, but not this.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 02:47
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    You Cannuck hockey connoseurs, please explain why upon the delayed penalty call in Hawk's second goal, since the power play actually did not begin, I'm assuming this was a full strength goal. Why is the power play not immediately started after the goal. I can understand after scoring on the actual power play, but not this.
    On a delayed penalty call, the penalized team must gain control of the puck for the play to be whistled dead and the powerplay to begin. During this time the opposing team (the Hawks in this instance) can substitute their goalie for an extra attacker since the other team cannot possibly score. Thus it is a quasi-powerplay of sorts. It is an even strength goal but with 6 skaters against 5 and a goalie.

The penalty is nullified on a goal during a delayed penalty because having a powerplay right after a delayed penalty goal would be a serious kick in the junk for the penalized team.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 02:491 edit
    Hey sh76, would it be smug of me to point out that the home team has won every game in this series so far?

Where is all that data you were talking about earlier? 😵
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 03:17
    On a delayed penalty call, the penalized team must gain control of the puck for the play to be whistled dead and the powerplay to begin. During this time the opposing team (the Hawks in this instance) can substitute their goalie for an extra attacker since the other team cannot possibly score. Thus it is a quasi-powerplay of sorts. It is an even strength ...[text shortened]... y right after a delayed penalty goal would be a serious kick in the junk for the penalized team.
    I figured it was some "overwhelming disadvantage" rule. Very good explanation indeed. Sorry about my jab against your great nation the other day.

This has been a really enjoyable series despite all games going to the home team. If Hawks had played game three like they did tonight the series would be over! Flyers are a really gutsy, big hustle kind of a team indeed!
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 03:581 edit
    Darvlay gave a very good answer to your question.

There are exceptions where a double minor is called. That would be a 4 minute penalty instead of a 2 minute one as was the case I believe. In this case the first two minute penalty would cancelled by the goal, & the team would still have another 2 minutes of Power Play to score another goal.

There is another case also where there is a 5 minute major penalty, where more than one goal can be scored.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 11:50

There are exceptions where a double minor is called. That would be a 4 minute penalty instead of a 2 minute one as was the case I believe. In this case the first two minute penalty would cancelled by the goal, & the team would still have another 2 minutes of Power Play to score another goal.

There is ...[text shortened]... other case also where there is a 5 minute major penalty, where more than one goal can be scored.
    That was some hockey game last night. Very entertaining. Flyers are crazy scary. No quit in that team. I'm sure they hated lsoing, but gotta go back home feeling good about themselves. Hawks have to play the way they did last night if they expect to avoid a game seven. Where in the world is that kid Leino from? He is fantastic! I was moved by story of Brouwer's ailing dad. Hope his father's day gift starts with a big SC! They can fill it with beer(except Canadian beer, horrible swill) and have a toast.

You guys have really educated me on hockey. I'm actually beginning to really like the dang game. HOpe that guy who took a puck in the face is OK! Was the penalty for "squeezing fingers on puck" against the Hawks ticky-tacky or is that an actual rule? How does the ref determine that anyone squeezed? How long must one squeeze?
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 13:02
    That was some hockey game last night. Very entertaining. Flyers are crazy scary. No quit in that team. I'm sure they hated lsoing, but gotta go back home feeling good about themselves. Hawks have to play the way they did last night if they expect to avoid a game seven. Where in the world is that kid Leino from? He is fantastic! I was moved by story of B ...[text shortened]... n actual rule? How does the ref determine that anyone squeezed? How long must one squeeze?
    Ville Leino is Finnish and the Flyers got him for cheap-cheap-cheap from the Red Wings this year.

Re: clsoing hand on the puck - it's easy for a ref to determine if an infraction of this nature has occurred. Essentially a player is permitted to bat the puck with an open hand, push the puck along the ice (so long as it is not a deliberate pass to an open player which will result in a faceoff) or catch the puck and place it immediately on the ice but at no time can they handle the puck in their closed hand to "gain a territorial advantage over an opponent". So basically you can whack the puck, swipe at it, catch it in the air and drop it and that's it.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 13:03

There is ...[text shortened]... other case also where there is a 5 minute major penalty, where more than one goal can be scored.
    Yep. Good call. Forgot about those.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 15:01
    Hey sh76, would it be smug of me to point out that the home team has won every game in this series so far?

Where is all that data you were talking about earlier? 😵
    Here's the data for 2010.

Including the 5 games in the finals, according to my calculations, care to guess what the home/road record is in this year's playoffs?

44-44

How do you like them apples? 😉
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 15:07
    The Flyers' problem in this series is quite simple. Briere, Richards and Carter are nice players. But the Flyers have no Patrick Kane and no Jonathan Toews, the way he's playing right now. Neither goalie is great (I'm sorry; I'm just not sold on Niemi quite yet) and both teams can be scored on. But Philly doesn't have the firepower up front that the Hawks do.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 19:231 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Here's the data for 2010.

Including the 5 games in the finals, according to my calculations, care to guess what the home/road record is in this year's playoffs?

44-44

How do you like them apples? 😉
    You're not done yet!

This year is only a small sample size, my friend. What happens if you go back... oh, say 10 years. What do the numbers look like then?

Remember what you said yourself:

"I'm going by the data, which indicates that home ice in the playoffs is only a very small edge if at all; and it's not just this year. It's a consistency in the playoffs. Home teams typically win about 50% of the time; maybe slightly more."

🙂
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jun '10 19:481 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The Flyers' problem in this series is quite simple. Briere, Richards and Carter are nice players. But the Flyers have no Patrick Kane and no Jonathan Toews, the way he's playing right now. Neither goalie is great (I'm sorry; I'm just not sold on Niemi quite yet) and both teams can be scored on. But Philly doesn't have the firepower up front that the Hawks do.
    For the Flyers to win they have to forecheck hard like in the two games at home. Give Toews & Kane no time and space, is the only way to stop them. (Although the big guy was the one with the 4 points when all was said and done I might add)

Philly got spanked good last night. I expect to see more out of them on Wednesday.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree