Go Flyers!

Go Flyers!

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Jun 10

Originally posted by gregsflat
Yeah, the FLyers got spanked, I agree, Pronger took some corner abuse, Brier got his eye poked, Leighton seemed hobbled, Laino got crushed, hasn't been a very magical series after all the special moments to get here.
One thing though, they seem to still have a resolve to keep coming back. I felt this would be seven games all along. The flyers are 9-1 ...[text shortened]... chicken"Hawks are dishing out, during the regular season. Congrats to your daughter, S-zzo.
If everything goes well tomorrow evening, anything can happen in game 7.

I love to see the underdogs prove everyone wrong! 😉

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
08 Jun 10

Originally posted by sh76
Okay, okay. I guess I'll have to sit down and do 2009 and 2008 and 2007 when I have time...

Unless you want to, of course 🙂
Okay. I calculated the home/road splits for the past few years. Now, keep in mind, the higher seeds do get home ice advantage. This means that even if there were no home ice advantage, you'd expect the home team to win slightly more than 50% of its games just by virtue of the fact that the better teams get more home games.

That having been said, there apparently is some home ice advantage in the playoffs, though a very small one compared to other sports.

Here are the results:

2010: 44-44 (.500)
2009: 50-34 (.595)
2008: 45-35 (.562)
2007: 45-36 (.555)

Just for comparison, I calculated the the NBA results for the last 2 years:

2009: 57-29 (.648)
2008: 65-22 (.747)

Just for kicks, in the NFL playoffs over the past 10 years, the home team is 64-36 (.640)

s

Moves
08 Jun 10

Originally posted by gregsflat
Yeah, the FLyers got spanked, I agree, Pronger took some corner abuse, Brier got his eye poked, Leighton seemed hobbled, Laino got crushed, hasn't been a very magical series after all the special moments to get here.
One thing though, they seem to still have a resolve to keep coming back. I felt this would be seven games all along. The flyers are 9-1 ...[text shortened]... chicken"Hawks are dishing out, during the regular season. Congrats to your daughter, S-zzo.
Thanks gregsflat! It was a thrilling moment indeed! If Flyers win game 6 then everything is possible in a game seven indeed!

s

Moves
08 Jun 10

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Congratulations that must have been a great day for the whole family!

Most hockey players are nice guys, just animals on the ice. 😉

I always liked Mike Modano as a player. One of the great hockey players not to come out of Canada. 😉
Modano is a great player, but he was recognized for his charitable work and for being a pillar of the community. Indeed he's from Michigan. It was thrilling to have a child on stage with other pillars of the community being recognized for their contributions other than in their fields. My daughter was recognized for being a good student, maintaining an active volunteer lineup and also performing Italian folk dance on top of it all. We are proud parents indeed.

You don't seem to hear a whole lot scandal-wise about hockey players. They are animals on the ice!

BTW, I favor the Hawks daughter will attend UofC this fall!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
09 Jun 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Modano is a great player, but he was recognized for his charitable work and for being a pillar of the community. Indeed he's from Michigan. It was thrilling to have a child on stage with other pillars of the community being recognized for their contributions other than in their fields. My daughter was recognized for being a good student, maintaining an ...[text shortened]... s. They are animals on the ice!

BTW, I favor the Hawks daughter will attend UofC this fall!
The Hawks are the favorites, with more gifted players. I always cheer for the underdogs, once my team is gone, unless Crosby's still in it. 😉

What will be really nice when all is said and done, is it has been a long time coming for which ever team wins.

The cup will be coming to Canada which ever team wins. 😉

s

Moves
09 Jun 10

The Hawks are the favorites, with more gifted players. I always cheer for the underdogs, once my team is gone, unless Crosby's still in it. 😉

What will be really nice when all is said and done, is it has been a long time coming for which ever team wins.

The cup will be coming to Canada which ever team wins. 😉
Well the cup is essentially Canadian although largely played in teh USA. It is interesting that what boils down to the national sport of your country took off in the USA! Your guidance and observations have made me increase the enjoyment of the game! Crosby is one of the best to come along in a few years indeed.

d

Moves
10 Jun 10

Originally posted by darvlay
The Flyers are going to face their best competition yet in the Blackhawks. Forget about how good Leighton was in the last (anemic) series, the real test starts now against the more smooth skating, puck moving team. The Flyers have a likable team, full of grit, great home crowd, and I think that will serve them well in winning a couple games but I can't help but put my money on the Hawks.

Chicago in 6
😏

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Jun 10

The Flyers are going to face their best competition yet in the Blackhawks. Forget about how good Leighton was in the last (anemic) series, the real test starts now against the more smooth skating, puck moving team. The Flyers have a likable team, full of grit, great home crowd, and I think that will serve them well in winning a couple games but I can't help but put my money on the Hawks.

Chicago in 6

A Lucky Call! 😉

s

Moves
10 Jun 10

The Flyers are going to face their best competition yet in the Blackhawks. Forget about how good Leighton was in the last (anemic) series, the real test starts now against the more smooth skating, puck moving team. The Flyers have a likable team, full of grit, great home crowd, and I think that will serve them well in winnin ...[text shortened]... uple games but I can't help but put my money on the Hawks.

Chicago in 6

A Lucky Call! 😉
Not a lucky call at all. I called it in five. Off by one! And I know jack about hockey. Darvlay's seems like the more educated of the teo guesses. That last goal was amazing! I'm glad a good guy like Kane scored the dream goal! Happy for Hossa in avoiding hockey infamy by losing the cup on three different teams! That Harstnell dude is a monster player. I think the difference in the series is finally taming Pronger. He all but disappeared the last two games! Second penalty on him was ticky tacky as was the one on Hossa! Credit to the Flyers for playing lights out and almost stealing game six. I knew Chicago would be motivated with the cup in the building, but seemed gassed towards end of third period and let Flyers have way too many chances and failed to play energetic defense like first two periods. I am quite happy for the Hwaks!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Not a lucky call at all. I called it in five. Off by one! And I know jack about hockey. Darvlay's seems like the more educated of the teo guesses. That last goal was amazing! I'm glad a good guy like Kane scored the dream goal! Happy for Hossa in avoiding hockey infamy by losing the cup on three different teams! That Harstnell dude is a monster player. ...[text shortened]... s and failed to play energetic defense like first two periods. I am quite happy for the Hwaks!
LOL...We could be looking at game 7. Yes it is a lucky call, & 5 was just silly. It was obvious that Philly wouldn't go down that easy. Hossa would have deserved to lose, hoping from team to team looking for a cup. What ever happened to team loyalty? I guess that is a thing of the past.

Both penaltys against Pronger were questionable compared to what was let go in games before, and in the 3rd period. The refing at times becomes a bit of joke, no consistancy what so ever.

The most talented team won and was deserving when all is said and done. Who knows when either team will make it back. It is a rough road to Lord Stanleys cup!

You will be routing for the Blackhawks next year.
Darvlay the Maple leafs...Me the Habs...Life will go on. 😉

s

Moves
10 Jun 10

LOL...We could be looking at game 7. Yes it is a lucky call, & 5 was just silly. It was obvious that Philly wouldn't go down that easy. Hossa would have deserved to lose, hoping from team to team looking for a cup. What ever happened to team loyalty? I guess that is a thing of the past.

Both penaltys against Pronger were questionable compared to what w ...[text shortened]... ting for the Blackhawks next year.
Darvlay the Maple leafs...Me the Habs...Life will go on. 😉
I am indeed sold on the Hawks, but am a Dallas Star at heart. Indeed team loyalty is a thing of the past. I think it will never come back. Phillie fans are kinda rough. I did not like how they booed Toews when he was presented the Smythe trophy. Despite that, enough of them stayed to watch the cup presentation and cheered. Who knows. Phillie really hing in there and played impressively despite their few chances on goal. Their shot to goal ratio was way better then the Hawks'!

Of the other teams I have always loved the Red Wings and the infamous Bruins. I also like the Penguins, seemingly always in the hunt!

d

Moves
10 Jun 10

It was a weird goal. Kane was the only one on the ice who knew it went in and it seemed like no one believed him initially when he threw his hands in the air. A heartbreaker after the Flyers tied it up so late. Good win for the Blackhwaks though and a good win for the NHL. Bad win for Leafs fans though. Our team is now officially the team with the longest Stanley Cup drought in the NHL. :'(

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Jun 10
2 edits

If he had been about a foot to the right & a little close to the goalie it was very similar to Croby's goal in the Goal Medal game at the Olympics, except everyone could see that was in.

The puck stuck in the mesh inside the net. I thought for sure the goalie had it in his pads.

Yup 1967 is now the longest drought! I remember crying after they beat my habs!

Moves
10 Jun 10
1 edit

Did not like how the NHL treated the goal: no light, no signals, but there was a call for the play being reviewed....get this....I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA. However, for lack of a team I cheered on the Flyers! To no avail....I thought the Flyers goalie was better too!
So here's to next year:

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d

Moves
10 Jun 10

Originally posted by wink
Did not like how the NHL treated the goal: no light, no signals...
The people who work at the arena are responsible for that. Not the NHL. I don't blame the folks at the arena though, I didn't see the puck go in the net either.