1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 15:151 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Y'know for a first world nation there are some real backward, boondock attitudes here in OZ. The tall-poppy syndrome ,for one.

what does this thing mean? i never heard of boondock nor tally poppy syndrome! great soccer players do not need to be intellectual giants, take David Beckham for example, he seems to all intents and purposes to be a very ...[text shortened]... intellectual giant by any manner of means, but he can do with a football what no one else can.
    boondocks-a place that is far away.Usually populated with 'backward ,hick-types'.
    tall poppy syndrome-to cut down the tallest poppy, the one that stands out and is different from the rest.

Thats right ,dear Robbie, they don't need to be intellectual giants-they just need to lose some of that egoπŸ˜‰
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 07:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And why exactly? Have I not tried to reflect things factually? Its not my fault if proffessional football is moronic at times.
    If Henry HADN'T handled the ball he would not have been there as a professional striker.

so you're basically calling all strikers cheats? hmm, no. remember the ref giving a pen when robbie fowler tripped over and him getting up and telling the ref that he fell and not to give a pen? you're statement is absurd.

Teams that are on top often go down.

or in this case, team at the top gets a seriously bad call if their favor and knocks the little guy out.

Thats what makes football/soccer the game it is.

no, football is the way it is despite things like this and quite frankly it's turning people off the game.

Every sport has boring games.

this is about the only thing you've said in your post that makes sense, to bad it has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

A basketball game where the score is 120-76,for example.

i'm really not a basketball fan but just because it was a washout doesn't make it a bad or boring game. spurs 9-1 win yesterday was boring to you? funny i bit of show boating and that score could be seriously entertaining in basketball.

My comisserations to Ireland, but thats football/life..

that isn't football.

And they trialed video refs in cricket with pretty disasterous results. I mean imagine if a team were awarded a penalty goal by a fourth ref. Just nuts that would be

congrats this is the stupidest thing you've said in your post. cricket is one of the sports than now rely on tectonically for close calls, most notable for run outs.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 12:061 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    [b]If Henry HADN'T handled the ball he would not have been there as a professional striker.

so you're basically calling all strikers cheats? hmm, no. remember the ref giving a pen when robbie fowler tripped over and him getting up and telling the ref that he fell and not to give a pen? you're statement is absurd.

Teams that are on top often go do of the sports than now rely on tectonically for close calls, most notable for run outs.
    Trev,Trev. If you were'nt so over the top in trying to undermine my little insights you may just come off sounding a bit more convincing...

1. Yes I'm calling strikers cheats-but I prefer the term 'proffesional'. I suppose you're going to tell me that they don't dive either.

2.Are you saying that you haven't seen plenty of games where one team has several scoring opportunities , and miss them all, while the other team has one and takes it?

3.Thats what makes it what it is. Why delude yourself that it is any different? Sure, thay should improve on the refereeing,etc. But I call a spade a spade.

4."Every sport has boring games". Why exactly is that not relevant?

5.I agree with you-just because its a washout doesn't mean it can't be entertaining- but really if you follow this line of reasoning...well..it just wouldn't be a contest now, would it?

6.Proffessionalism in football is football. Like I said if a striker didn't know how to dive then they wouldn't be in the team. The replays clearly show time and time again that they fall at the mearest touch from a defender. Just looks more convincing at normal speed.

7.Ok I agree with the video refs for runouts , but the couple of Aussie games I saw where the teams would gat 3 challenges of an umpires decision was farcical. Isn't that why they scrapped it?

I see you've gone from your out right put downs to some more subtle ones. Very clever. So , hows that working out for you? Being clever?
    (BTW I wanted Ireland to win as well as they were the better team. However S*** happens) Bye!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

edit: Fell free to keep the insults coming, I'm quite enjoying at the momentπŸ˜‰
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 13:29
    Trev,Trev. If you were'nt so over the top in trying to undermine my little insights you may just come off sounding a bit more convincing...

1. Yes I'm calling strikers cheats-but I prefer the term 'proffesional'. I suppose you're going to tell me that they don't dive either.

2.Are you saying that you haven't seen plenty of games where one team ha ...[text shortened]...
    edit: Fell free to keep the insults coming, I'm quite enjoying at the momentπŸ˜‰
    lol nice fight club quote πŸ™‚

yes they dive, most anyway but i don't consider that cheating. at least not in the same way that blatantly using your hand is. why do you think there's such a big reaction over this? if the he had dived to get a pen we would be pissed off yes but there wouldn't the cries of 'cheat' and wanting to replay the game etc. that there is now.

they still use it in cricket but only when the umpires aren't sure on something.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 13:48

7.Ok I agree with the video refs for runouts , but the couple of Aussie games I saw where the teams would gat 3 challenges of an umpires decision was farcical. Isn't that why they scrapped it?
    It hasn't been scrapped. That was a trial, and it'll probably be rolled out further. At the moment they're arguing over who's going to pay for the technology.

Personally, I don't like the referral system - I'd prefer it to be completely under the control of the umpire - but one reason it didn't work well was that the video umpires seemed to forget the rules that had been agreed (that they were only supposed to overrule the onfield umpire if a mistake had been clearly made) so it was inconsistent.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 14:15
    lol nice fight club quote πŸ™‚

yes they dive, most anyway but i don't consider that cheating. at least not in the same way that blatantly using your hand is. why do you think there's such a big reaction over this? if the he had dived to get a pen we would be pissed off yes but there wouldn't the cries of 'cheat' and wanting to replay the game etc. that there ...[text shortened]... s now.

they still use it in cricket but only when the umpires aren't sure on something.
    You picked up on that ,eh? πŸ˜‰. I dont think it is universally agreed that diving and handball are different types of cheating. To me its all cheating, but no doubt there is a growing chorus out there who think handball is worse than diving. Thats cool, I can see where they are coming from. So what about shirt pulling? If a striker has a half a yard on the last defender and that defender yanks him back by just a little bit , this will severley impact on the strikers chance to score. However shirt pulling ,(just those little niggly ones), is not considered as bad as handball or diving. (Or is it? )
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 14:21
    Originally posted by mtthw
    It hasn't been scrapped. That was a trial, and it'll probably be rolled out further. At the moment they're arguing over who's going to pay for the technology.

Personally, I don't like the referral system - I'd prefer it to be completely under the control of the umpire - but one reason it didn't work well was that the video umpires seemed to forget the rul ...[text shortened]... o overrule the onfield umpire if a mistake had been clearly made) so it was inconsistent.
    In rugby league the video ref can award a penalty try if presented with the right set of circumstances. Now bearing in mind that there is usually much more scoring in league than football, do you think a video ref should have the power to award a penalty goal? Or maybe a direct penalty? I, for one, say no.

I believe in cricket they scrapped the players right to challenge decisions. I believe they were given three challenges per innings and thats what I was refferring to when I said that it was pretty "farcical".
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 14:57
    You picked up on that ,eh? πŸ˜‰. I dont think it is universally agreed that diving and handball are different types of cheating. To me its all cheating, but no doubt there is a growing chorus out there who think handball is worse than diving. Thats cool, I can see where they are coming from. So what about shirt pulling? If a striker has a half a yard on ...[text shortened]... g ,(just those little niggly ones), is not considered as bad as handball or diving. (Or is it? )
    i've only seen the film about 15 times so should pick on the ocasinal quote πŸ˜‰

like i said, diving isn't really cheating... more deceiving the ref, if someone puts their leg out why not 'fall' over it and try to get a free kick? it's a judgment call by the ref, hand ball on the other hand is blatant. you could argue that the defender shouldn't have offered the chance for a dive, you can't argue anything that makes using your hand on the ball not cheating. shirt pulling goes on in every single game, it depends on how blatant it is and what the ref is willing to put up with but no, it's not cheating. it's just part of the game, every single corner or free kick taken around the box there will be shirt pulling, it's normal. there's a load of little 'professional fouls' that goes on during the game that the ref won't see, little kicks, shirt pulling, even nipping your opponent. none i would consider 'cheating', they're just part of the game. using your hands however isn't part of the game and is cheating.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 16:19
    i've only seen the film about 15 times so should pick on the ocasinal quote πŸ˜‰

like i said, diving isn't really cheating... more deceiving the ref, if someone puts their leg out why not 'fall' over it and try to get a free kick? it's a judgment call by the ref, hand ball on the other hand is blatant. you could argue that the defender shouldn't have offered ...[text shortened]... of the game. using your hands however isn't part of the game and is cheating.
    You say tomatoe ,I say tomata.

Shirt pulling in the box is common , by both attackers and defenders, however in the scenario that I offered the attacker has made a start on the defender and the defender can only slow him by pulling the attackers shirt. Again, you only have to slow the attacker , by say 5%, to turn a 'red hot' chance into a more speculative one. And in a way it relates to your point because the defender is using their hands.
    I have played many a game as a central defender and I would say my speed is only above average, so a quick striker could easily get a yard on me , and then "Bang!"- its all over.
    I used to position myself ,very acurately in between the attacker and the goals , so they would have to run around me , and thus travel an extra 1/2 to 1 yard, which makes all the difference when there is a scoring opportunity. Any use of the hands,(shirt pulling), would immediately be penalized by the ref, however it seems that in proffesional football only blatant shirt pulling is penalized.
    There are many examples of differing interpretations ot the rules when comparing amatuer soccer to proffesional soccer. The throw ins would be a great example, where in pro soccer they can move up 5 or 6 yards when taking a throw- or even lift a foot of the ground or throw incorrectly. All things which would be immediately punished in amatuer soccer.
    " Only when we have lost everything are we able to do anything" πŸ™‚
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:07
    You say tomatoe ,I say tomata.

Shirt pulling in the box is common , by both attackers and defenders, however in the scenario that I offered the attacker has made a start on the defender and the defender can only slow him by pulling the attackers shirt. Again, you only have to slow the attacker , by say 5%, to turn a 'red hot' chance into a more spec ...[text shortened]... hed in amatuer soccer.
    " Only when we have lost everything are we able to do anything" πŸ™‚
    yeah it's funny how amateur football is sometimes stricter than professional, the refs in my old league were anal about were free kicks and throw ins had to be taken but to get send off you literally had to break someones legs or punch them in the face 😡 in my last season of playing i was the only player who get sent off for either team during the entire season, plus only a few yellows and it wasn't what you would call a soft league.

with regards to shirt pulling when an attacker is running towards goal, it's a foul nothing more (maybe a card) but it's not cheating. against the rules but not cheating... does that make sense? you know what i mean.

btw i hated center defenders.. they always kicked me. i blame you for that 😠
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:56
    yeah it's funny how amateur football is sometimes stricter than professional, the refs in my old league were anal about were free kicks and throw ins had to be taken but to get send off you literally had to break someones legs or punch them in the face 😡 in my last season of playing i was the only player who get sent off for either team during the entire sea ...[text shortened]... hat i mean.

I reffed for a while so I know what you mean. I was very strict, but only pulled out the yellow cards sparingly because the players knew I was a stickler for the rules. I only sent off one kid and that was for a really blatant foul! No ticky tacky stuff. Real attention to the flow of the game. I let em play!
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 22:311 edit

I believe in cricket they scrapped the players right to challenge decisions. I believe they were given three challenges per innings and thats what I was refferring to when I said that it was pretty "farcical".
    And as I said - it hasn't been scrapped. It was trialled, and it's still coming. There's a test match starting tomorrow with the system in place. Australia v West Indies, later in the week, is using it. The upcoming South Africa v England series would have used it, but there was a dispute over who pays for it (ICC/home country/TV company).

They've reduced it to two challenges per innings, but the concept hasn't been done away with.

And no, I don't like it πŸ™‚
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 23:14
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I reffed for a while so I know what you mean. I was very strict, but only pulled out the yellow cards sparingly because the players knew I was a stickler for the rules. I only sent off one kid and that was for a really blatant foul! No ticky tacky stuff. Real attention to the flow of the game. I let em play!
    actually scacchipazzo there is footage of you here!

YouTube
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 11:24
    yeah it's funny how amateur football is sometimes stricter than professional, the refs in my old league were anal about were free kicks and throw ins had to be taken but to get send off you literally had to break someones legs or punch them in the face 😡 in my last season of playing i was the only player who get sent off for either team during the entire sea ...[text shortened]... hat i mean.

I see your point of view with regard to cheating. Still , at the end of the day an undetected foul that leads to a goal is the same as a handball tha leads to a goal. 1-1😡

Whenever I get blamed for something,I feel special-especially if its by a womanπŸ˜‰
  15. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    25 Nov '09 00:57
    On the subject of video review, I just can't take any arguments that it interferes with the flow of the game that seriously. After all, they use it to review goals in hockey, where they don't even stop play to make substitutions!

However, it's not like video review will end all controversies - there will still be ways for the officials to get it wrong:

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree