1. London
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 20:35
    hmm...i agree with you.... definitely Australia this time first!
  2. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 09:40
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    It might be time now to look at who's likely to make the last four:

Aus - Definitely. But what happens when Hayden doesn't make runs? Bowling is not great and leaks lots of runs.

NZ - Just looking a good, strong unit unit with no real weaknesses.

Thereafter, no team stands out (and I speak as a SA supporter). Sri Lanka, England, West Indies and ...[text shortened]... llowing up. Either NZ or Aus will definitely be in the final - perhaps both.

Howzat?
    with regards to australias batting ,you are forgetting a player called michael clarke,has been amongst the runs in all games .Ponting and hussey will both come good .
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 16:45
    Originally posted by Melloney
    hmm...i agree with you.... definitely Australia this time first!
    Note: I did not say *win*, I said they will head the table.
  4. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 09:44
    So a new week begins:

Bob Woolmer's death was a shock. India and Pakistan going out was a shock. But he most shocking thing about this world cup is the lack of atmosphere.

They need to let the locals in, get the steel bands, whistles and conches in. Reduce prices and allow fans to bring in food and drink in. Get some atmosphere otherwise there is no point in carrying on.

The loss of India and Pakistan has made this stage less competitive than it should be, WI, Ireland and Bangladesh are more or less out, Aust and NZ are more or less through. 3 more weeks where the only competitive games will be involving Sri Lanka, England and SA.

I hope things start to improve soon.
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 10:04
    Originally posted by invigorate
    So a new week begins:

Bob Woolmer's death was a shock. India and Pakistan going out was a shock. But he most shocking thing about this world cup is the lack of atmosphere.

They need to let the locals in, get the steel bands, whistles and conches in. Reduce prices and allow fans to bring in food and drink in. Get some atmosphere otherwise there is no ...[text shortened]... tive games will be involving Sri Lanka, England and SA.

I hope things start to improve soon.
    I hope that's not a kiss of death for nz..

Crack on the de calypso man..
  6. London
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:54
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Well, it starts in earnest today (Tuesday) with West Indies vs Pakistan starting at 14:30 GMT.

My prediction for the final four? Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand. Not West Indies because of home ground disadvantage 8-)

BTW today is the 1st anniversary of THAT game:
    http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/rsavaus/content/story/240507.html
    your prediction...Australia...South Africa...Sri Lanka...New Zealand.... so, does it not mean Australia "first"...was just wondering...
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 02:12
    You're right, invigorate, the issue of the steep ticket prices and poor attendance by locals has been an absolute disaster, and is really a prime example of greed by the ICC. It's been a disgrace really. I have to say the commentators for the games don't help much with the atmosphere for us TV viewers as well... Some of them are good, like Nasser Hussain, Ian Smith, and a couple of others, but many of the other commentators are dead boring. You'd think you were watching a game of lawn bowls for all the excitement they display. Compare that with the commentary we get from the Aussie Channel 9 team for the Commonwealth Bank series in Australia - they are great, thoroughly biased but at least they get EXCITED!
  8. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 03:32
    Originally posted by B Money
    You're right, invigorate, the issue of the steep ticket prices and poor attendance by locals has been an absolute disaster, and is really a prime example of greed by the ICC. It's been a disgrace really. I have to say the commentators for the games don't help much with the atmosphere for us TV viewers as well... Some of them are good, like Nasser Hussain, Ia ...[text shortened]... Bank series in Australia - they are great, thoroughly biased but at least they get EXCITED!
    Michael Holding is a great commentator too, cricket sounds so effortless when his velvet voice calls it.
    Ian Smith is probably the most biased commentator on television.
    The tourney desperatley needs the locals to fill the grounds as both you and invigorate rightly point out.
    Ja Rastafari!! ( I did not inhale!!)
  9. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:19
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Michael Holding is a great commentator too, cricket sounds so effortless when his velvet voice calls it.
    Ian Smith is probably the most biased commentator on television.
    The tourney desperatley needs the locals to fill the grounds as both you and invigorate rightly point out.
    I don't get sky tv but when the cricket was free we used to turn the sound down and listen to the radio commentary team.. it was invariably better.
    Shame Smithy is ill thought of, he's a really nice guy.
  10. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:53
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    This article hits the nail on the head: http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/288564.html

Much the same happened at the last world cup in South Africa where the brand police also ruined it. Take the sponsor Pepsi, for example. You virtually could not get Pepsi in this country and it had to be specially imported. Yet, you were not allowed to take a Coke into an event.
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 17:37
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    I don't get sky tv but when the cricket was free we used to turn the sound down and listen to the radio commentary team.. it was invariably better.
    Shame Smithy is ill thought of, he's a really nice guy.
    I like Ian Smith he really gets involed.

At last a good game. England have a great chance to beat Sri Lanka.
    I hope haven't spoken too soon.
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 18:07

Just heard.... 1 for 1.... i think you spoke too soon....
  13. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 03:081 edit

awe shucks.. I just heard England lost by 2 runs... Bye Guys.. sorry to here it actually one can never tell whats happening next with England.

you can always rely on Smithy to tell it how he sees it. He has been behind the wickets with some of the best batsmen and partnered our tradesman Richard Hadlee for yonks.. he should know his stuff.
  14. Joined
    15 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 07:37
    Could somebody explain why Vaughan is there? What does he contribute? If we want a solid opening partnership, what was wrong with Cook and Strauss?
  15. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 08:22
    Originally posted by briey1
    Could somebody explain why Vaughan is there? What does he contribute? If we want a solid opening partnership, what was wrong with Cook and Strauss?
    Firstly that was a great game. Just what the world cup needed.

England played quite well yesterday. Their fielding was much improved.
    Bell was very unlucky and that was a key wicket. Sri Lanka have good variation in their attack and that is why I fancy them to cause problems for every side here.

I reckon Strauss should be playing, Vaughn is a fairly decent captain but he needs to find form quick. No Panic yet, If we win 3 of our last 4 we have every chance of qualifying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree