ICC Cricket World Cup

ICC Cricket World Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BM

Moves
07 Apr 07

You're right, it's too soon to rule England out altogether. It wouldn't be the first time the England side has been written off and then come back to surprise everybody - Commonwealth Bank series, anybody???

As for why Vaughan's there, he is a very astute captain in the field, which he proved in the CB series as well. But it's debatable whether he can hold his place in the side purely on the basis of that. The question really is who would you have as captain if Vaughan wasn't in the side? Flintoff has already been tried and found wanting... And I can't really see any obvious alternatives.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
07 Apr 07

I love this optimism from England.. I share the blood but I think theys got as much chance of making the semis as Southampton do of making back to the premiership...
Maybe it could happen if they beat Australia and the Bangers beat South Africa and just to make sure of a chance Sri Lanka should stay true to form beat WI.
Could the Aussies throw the game to help England in? Lets see it they name their best squad..

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
07 Apr 07

Originally posted by Tirau Dan

Could the Aussies throw the game to help England in? Lets see it they name their best squad..
with so many dead rubbers coming up I reckon a few games will be thrown in the couple of weeks.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
07 Apr 07

Originally posted by invigorate
with so many dead rubbers coming up I reckon a few games will be thrown in the couple of weeks.
They'd be mad to risk injury to McGrath and other key men.

Lol my Saints Comment could be an omen..they beat Luton 2-0 and are back in the playoffs.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
08 Apr 07

The Aussies have the English to contend with tonight!
Go the Aussies!!
Did i hear vicious rumours that the Bangladeshi's whacked the South Africans?

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
08 Apr 07

Originally posted by lordhighgus
The Aussies have the English to contend with tonight!
Go the Aussies!!
Did i hear vicious rumours that the Bangladeshi's whacked the South Africans?
wow...yes you did..
this from nzcity.co.nz
8 April 2007
Bangladesh is proving to be more than a fluke at the Cricket World Cup. After knocking India out of the tournament, the side has thrown the Super Eights race wide open with a 67 run win over South Africa in Guyana.

South African captain Graeme Smith says the Bangladesh side deserved plenty of credit for taking the opportunities that came its way. Smith says if his players can not get the basics right then they will be punished.

Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka all have six points on the Super Eights ladder, but Sri Lanka has played one extra game. South Africa has just four points, with England, West Indies and Bangladesh on two each.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
08 Apr 07

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
wow...yes you did..
this from nzcity.co.nz
8 April 2007
Bangladesh is proving to be more than a fluke at the Cricket World Cup. After knocking India out of the tournament, the side has thrown the Super Eights race wide open with a 67 run win over South Africa in Guyana.

South African captain Graeme Smith says the Bangladesh side deserved plenty of cr ...[text shortened]... a game. South Africa has just four points, with England, West Indies and Bangladesh on two each.
Well done to the Bangladeshi's!
That has made the comp interesting.

b

Moves
08 Apr 07

I repeat, why is Vaughan there? Another embarrasing innings.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
08 Apr 07

Originally posted by briey1
I can't answer why.. bring back Beefy Botham or even me that fella extra got more in this match than Vaughan has in the series.

Snippets from Http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/08/sports/CB-SPT-CRK-Australia-England.php
Vaughan was first to go, chopping on while on five as he tried to put the ball through gully.
Strauss, batting at No. 3, was deceived by a slower delivery to go for seven.
Captain Vaughan, who won the toss and elected to bat, has now scored a total 12 runs in his past four innings.

England 247, Aus won by 7 Wickets..

England
Bell c Hussey b McGrath 77(90)
Vaughan b Tait 5(8)
Strauss b Tait 7(10)
Pietersen c Clarke b Bracken 104(122)
Collingwood c Sub b Tait 2(5)
Flintoff st Gilchrist b Hogg 4(19)
Bopara c Hussey b Bracken 21(36)
Nixon c Hodge b McGrath 8(6)
Mahmood c Hodge b Bracken 0(2)
Panesar not out 1(2)
Anderson lbw McGrath 0(1)
Extras 18

England 247

Australia
Gilchrist c Collingwood b Flintoff 27(37)
Hayden b Collingwood 41(50)
Ponting Runout 86(106)
Clarke not out 55(63)
Symonds not out 28(28)

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
09 Apr 07
1 edit

England's World Cup Starts here.

We've lost to the best three teams in the competition. If we win our last three I reckon we will qualify.

Then the semi's you are in form, and two matches from glory.

EDIT: now I've pulled my head out of the clouds, I go back to my original thoughts: we are not good enough

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by invigorate
England's World Cup Starts here.

We've lost to the best three teams in the competition. If we win our last three I reckon we will qualify.

Then the semi's you are in form, and two matches from glory.

EDIT: now I've pulled my head out of the clouds, I go back to my original thoughts: we are not good enough
Yay Invig for Capt player - coach.

KS

Palmerston North

Moves
10 Apr 07
1 edit

Out of all of the English batting side, I believe that Bopara can atleast put up a fight. Along side some players like Bell, Collingwood and Pietersen who set themselves a modest score; and even a century at seldom.

The 'England WC Capainge better start soom.

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
10 Apr 07

I reckon he's only there as everyone else is rubbish captain......never understood how his one day cricket performances wre so bad compared to tests!!

Anyhoo, I still reckon he should play - useful extra bowler and captain, but I'd bat him right down the order....

Open up with Freddie, as he is batting like a fool, may as well see what happens when the powerplays are on - and he won't face people like Hogg!!

My England 11 for next game~;

Bell
Flintoff
Strauss
Pieterssen
Collingwood
Bopara
Vaughen
Nixon
Panesar
Broad
Anderson

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by Cityblue
I reckon he's only there as everyone else is rubbish captain......never understood how his one day cricket performances wre so bad compared to tests!!

Anyhoo, I still reckon he should play - useful extra bowler and captain, but I'd bat him right down the order....

Open up with Freddie, as he is batting like a fool, may as well see what happens when th ...[text shortened]...
Flintoff
Strauss
Pieterssen
Collingwood
Bopara
Vaughen
Nixon
Panesar
Broad
Anderson
Beefy Botham does aspire to return to first class cricket, hopefully to play with his son Liam..

Bit from his Bio says:
"Even after a career such as Ian's, he does have one or two ambitions left - to one day play first class cricket alongside his Son Liam, to be good enough to play golf on the Masters Circuit"

Quick send him out there.. When's the next next flight?????

I am serious..

b

Moves
10 Apr 07

Strauss should have been made captain for both the Test and one day side. Vaughan is no Brearley, who really did bring value-added as captain. Vaughan is a fine player but he needs match practice before being thrown into the white heat of a World Cup. Flintoff opening is not a bad idea; it can be no worse than being 20-3 at the end of the 12th over, or some such scenario!