Nba mvp

Nba mvp

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
13 Apr 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
Big game against the Spurs today. Win that and you'll in all probability wrap up the no#1 seed (still have to beat the "pathetic" [does a few games under .500 make you a "crappy" team] Kings). Lose and you could be as far back as 5th.
If you've been paying any attention, you would know that the Lakers have already clinched their division. So the farthest they can go back is the number 4 seed. Which I don't see it happening even if they lose to the Spurs. And yes if they beat the Spurs, will you admit that they are a legit contender and probably the best team in the west or at least the most complete team in the west?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
If you've been paying any attention, you would know that the Lakers have already clinched their division. So the farthest they can go back is the number 4 seed. Which I don't see it happening even if they lose to the Spurs. And yes if they beat the Spurs, will you admit that they are a legit contender and probably the best team in the west or at least the most complete team in the west?
My bad and since they beat the Jazz 3 out of 4, they can't drop back any further than 3rd. I never denied that they are legit contenders, though you could probably say that about any of the teams in the first 7 spots in the West. Whether they beat the Spurs today or not, I still think that the Spurs are the best and most complete team in the west with the Lakers, Hornets and Suns close behind.

J

Moves
13 Apr 08
1 edit

My bad and since they beat the Jazz 3 out of 4, they can't drop back any further than 3rd. I never denied that they are legit contenders, though you could probably say that about any of the teams in the first 7 spots in the West. Whether they beat the Spurs today or not, I still think that the Spurs are the best and most complete team in the west with the Lakers, Hornets and Suns close behind.
Ok I'll agree with that. And for a nice little stat, if the Lakers beat the Spurs today, then the only team that they will not have split the season series with or won in the west is Houston whom they went 1-2 against. They will be 2-2 against the Spurs(if they win) and Hornets, 3-1 against Phoenix, Utah, and Dallas, and 3-0 against Denver. So against all of the teams in the playoffs in the west, the Lakers will possibly be 17-9 or 16-10 depending on if they beat the Spurs. I'm pretty sure the Spurs can't say that. LOL

J

Moves
13 Apr 08

And I also think that it is kind of hard to say the Spurs are the most complete team in the west, when they are one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08

Ok I'll agree with that. And for a nice little stat, if the Lakers beat the Spurs today, then the only team that they will not have split the season series with or won in the west is Houston whom they went 1-2 against. They will be 2-2 against the Spurs(if they win) and Hornets, 3-1 against Phoenix, Utah, and Dallas, and 3-0 against Denver. So agai ...[text shortened]... 9 or 16-10 depending on if they beat the Spurs. I'm pretty sure the Spurs can't say that. LOL
No, the Spurs can't say that. They can say that they are defending NBA champs and have a strong core of players used to sucess in the playoffs. Whether the Lakers win a game or two more in the regular season or not, I still think the Spurs go into the playoffs as slight favorites in the West.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08

And I also think that it is kind of hard to say the Spurs are the most complete team in the west, when they are one of the worst offensive teams in the league.
No, they are not. They are a conservative team that plays at a slower pace, so they don't score as much as faster paced teams. But their offensive efficiency is pretty good and they don't give up points off turnovers.

J

Moves
13 Apr 08
1 edit

No, they are not. They are a conservative team that plays at a slower pace, so they don't score as much as faster paced teams. But their offensive efficiency is pretty good and they don't give up points off turnovers.
They are 27th out of 30 in offense. The Lakers have more ppg, better fg% and 3-pt% and more assists per game than the Spurs. And look where Lakers are, 4th in offense and the top team in the west FOR NOW. And not only are the Spurs 27th out of 30 in offense, but they are only 19th out of 30 on defense. The Lakers are 4th in the league in both offense and defense. The Lakers have more rebounds, blocks, and steals per game than the Spurs. So really if you wanna say anything, the Lakers are more complete than the Spurs and the most complete team in the west.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08
2 edits

They are 27th out of 30 in offense. The Lakers have more ppg, better fg% and 3-pt% and more assists per game than the Spurs. And look where Lakers are, 4th in offense and the top team in the west FOR NOW.
Do you understand the game of basketball at all? What part of my post is hardest to grasp?

The object of a basketball game isn't to score a lot of points, but to score more points than the other team. The Spurs slow it down, play patient offense and concentrate on stopping the other team's offense. But their offensive efficiency is fine; only three teams turn the play over less and they are above average in all the offensive stats mentioned. It's silly just to look at points per game and say a team has a "better" offense because they score more when that team also gives up 10 more points a game because they play at a faster pace and both they and their opponents get many more shots.

You're really relying on that 1/2 game a lot as "proof" that the Lakers are great. The Spurs have beaten them 2 out of 3 and have the same number of losses.

EDIT: Here's the head to head stats comparing the two teams: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/headToHeadTeamResults?statsId1=24&statsId2=13&gameId=2008041313

J

Moves
13 Apr 08

Do you understand the game of basketball at all? What part of my post is hardest to grasp?

The object of a basketball game isn't to score a lot of points, but to score more points than the other team. The Spurs slow it down, play patient offense and concentrate on stopping the other team's offense. But their offensive efficiency is fi ...[text shortened]... //msn.foxsports.com/nba/headToHeadTeamResults?statsId1=24&statsId2=13&gameId=2008041313
Sure they slow it down which helps them. But against a great defensive team like the Lakers that won't always work and if the Lakers can control the pace of the game, then it will be the Spurs who are in trouble cause they can't score as much. And like I said the Lakers are still much better on defense than the Spurs are.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08
1 edit

Sure they slow it down which helps them. But against a great defensive team like the Lakers that won't always work and if the Lakers can control the pace of the game, then it will be the Spurs who are in trouble cause they can't score as much. And like I said the Lakers are still much better on defense than the Spurs are.
The Lakers are better on defense than the Spurs?????????? LMAO!

You're just a ridiculous "homer" if you really believe that.

So far in their three games with the Lakers, the "no offense" Spurs are averaging 102 points a game, while the unstoppable Lakers are scoring 95.

J

Moves
13 Apr 08
1 edit

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable2.html?cnf=1&prd=1

In the category section click on defense if it is not already listed. The stats don't lie.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable2.html?cnf=1&prd=1

In the category section click on defense if it is not already listed. The stats don't lie.
LMAO!! That "stat" is for defensive rebounds. The Lakers have allowed over 600 more shots by the opposition, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they would have more rebounds. Use the link I gave to compare the defensive stats; the Spurs are superior in virtually every category (not surprising to anyone who has watched the two teams play).

J

Moves
13 Apr 08

So far in their three games with the Lakers, the "no offense" Spurs are averaging 102 points a game, while the unstoppable Lakers are scoring 95.
I didn't say they were unstoppable. And I'll agree that the Spurs are one of the best teams in the west, I'm not denying that. I'm denying that they are one of the most complete teams because you can't be when you are 27th in offense and 19th in defense. How can you deny that the Lakers are not more complete than the Spurs when they are 4th in BOTH categories?

J

Moves
13 Apr 08

LMAO!! That "stat" is for defensive rebounds. The Lakers have allowed over 600 more shots by the opposition, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they would have more rebounds. Use the link I gave to compare the defensive stats; the Spurs are superior in virtually every category (not surprising to anyone who has watched the two teams play).
NO IT IS NOT ONLY REBOUNDS. If you paid more attention and looked over you would see that it is also for blocked shots and steals per game, both of which the Lakers still have better stats on.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 08

I didn't say they were unstoppable. And I'll agree that the Spurs are one of the best teams in the west, I'm not denying that. I'm denying that they are one of the most complete teams because you can't be when you are 27th in offense and 19th in defense. How can you deny that the Lakers are not more complete than the Spurs when they are 4th in BOTH categories?
You don't understand how to read a stat sheet. By the numbers you seem to think are soooooooooooooo important (points per game), the Lakers are 4th in offense but 20th in defense. The Spurs are 26th in offense but 3rd in defense. So the Lakers are "unbalanced" too by your "logic".