Nba mvp

Nba mvp

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Come on, you aren't a rube. You have knowledge about sports. How can you make a dumb statement like that? Let me help you ease your foot out of your mouth once again.

First of all, Past years performance have no bearing on [b]this year's
MVP selection.

Second, the MVP does not have to come from the best team, although it can. Have you ever see a player like McGrady of LeBron who pretty much carry their team's respective loads.[/b]
Players on last place teams shouldn't get the MVP, period. You're hardly the "Most Valuable Player" in the LEAGUE (read that again: MVP for the LEAGUE, not for a certain team) if your team stinks.

I made my argument and you haven't refuted it one bit. Pierce, Rondo, Perkins and a few others were on the lousy team last year. Of course, Allen has helped though his scoring average is well down from what it usually was in Seattle. The Celts were thought to be contenders, but I heard no one except the most rabid Celtic fans suggest that Boston would, this year, easily have the best record in the league. And looking at the roster, none of the players besides the Big Three were considered the equal of the average player on the Spurs, Mavs, Pistons or a half dozen other teams (who also have big time All-Stars). I've watched most of the Celts games this year and KG does far more than score and rebound (though he does that and his performance tends to increase in big games this year); he is an inspirational leader of the BEST TEAM in the league. That's why he should win the MVP.

I'm not going to bother getting in a pissing match with you, so you stop wasting your time insulting me. Like everybody else on this forum including you, I've made some predictions that didn't pan out. I've also made many that were right on the mark.

Moves
28 Mar 08

Not in my wildest dreams did I foresee the Celtics having the best record in the NBA this year and beating the western teams at something like a 24-5 clip.

KG has completely transformed the attitude of this team and raised the level of play of everyone on it. Not only should he be MVP but should also get the defensive player of the year award.

Unfortunately this won't happen because the award will go to the guy with the numbers. What KG has done for the Celtics doesn't show up on the stat sheet but it does show loud and clear in the won-loss column.

J

Moves
29 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Ullr
Not in my wildest dreams did I foresee the Celtics having the best record in the NBA this year and beating the western teams at something like a 24-5 clip.

KG has completely transformed the attitude of this team and raised the level of play of everyone on it. Not only should he be MVP but should also get the defensive player of the year award.

Unfortunat tics doesn't show up on the stat sheet but it does show loud and clear in the won-loss column.
So why is no one even mentioning Kobe. I mean he is having one of the best seasons of his career. Not to mention that he is on one of the top teams in A VERY VERY VERY TOUGH WESTERN CONFERENCE.

Moves
29 Mar 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
So why is no one even mentioning Kobe. I mean he is having one of the best seasons of his career. Not to mention that he is on one of the top teams in A VERY VERY VERY TOUGH WESTERN CONFERENCE.
no one is mentioning him b/c he does NOT deserve it. The ONLY reason the Lakers are where they are right now is because they stole Pau Gasol for bench players, who are no where near his talent. Once Pau came to the team is when they really started to win and stand out.

Moves
29 Mar 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
If there were a Most Talented Player Award then Kobe might be the front runner. But he's not the MVP. Without Garnett the Celtics aren't even in the playoffs (probably a lottery team again) let alone the best team in the regular season.

J

Moves
29 Mar 08

If there were a Most Talented Player Award then Kobe might be the front runner. But he's not the MVP. Without Garnett the Celtics aren't even in the playoffs (probably a lottery team again) let alone the best team in the regular season.
Again the same applies with Kobe. I think Kobe is of more value to the Lakers then KG is to the Celtics. At least the Celtics would still have 2 superstars if KG weren't there. The Lakers would only have 1 in Gasol, and he didn't even start out with them. Now KG may be making some of the players around him better, but Kobe is making virtually EVERYONE around him better this season and he's still putting up the numbers he's put up throughout his career.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
29 Mar 08

Originally posted by 425lsu
no one is mentioning him b/c he does NOT deserve it. The ONLY reason the Lakers are where they are right now is because they stole Pau Gasol for bench players, who are no where near his talent. Once Pau came to the team is when they really started to win and stand out.
Maybe Pau Gasol should be the MVP then. 😕

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
29 Mar 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
Players on last place teams shouldn't get the MVP, period. You're hardly the "Most Valuable Player" in the LEAGUE (read that again: MVP for the LEAGUE, not for a certain team) if your team stinks.

I made my argument and you haven't refuted it one bit. Pierce, Rondo, Perkins and a few others were on the lousy team last year. Of course, Al ...[text shortened]... ome predictions that didn't pan out. I've also made many that were right on the mark.
You insult yourself and the rest of us with some of your mightier than thou diatribes, but the facts remain on my side of this ledger. Yes, I agree with you that the MVP shouldn't come from a last place team....but they still do. I also believe the MVP should not come from a team that is loaded. The MVP should be the player that does the most to help his team win and who, if the team lost him, their season would be over. For that reason, I believe that T-Mac, LeBron or Kobe are better representatives of MVP than is KG. Sorry you love the guy, but the fact is, if KG were not on that team, they would stll be in the playoffs. Take Kobe from the Lakers, T-Mac from the Rockets or LeBron from the Cavs and their teams are in the dumper. Therefore, those are your three top candidtes for MVP...in my opinion.

Moves
29 Mar 08

Maybe Pau Gasol should be the MVP then. 😕
i NEVER said Pau Gasol was MVP, but the owners of the Lakers do deserve some kind of reward for somehow making that work .... also they have Bynum, but he has been hurt most of the season.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Mar 08

You insult yourself and the rest of us with some of your mightier than thou diatribes, but the facts remain on my side of this ledger. Yes, I agree with you that the MVP shouldn't come from a last place team....but they still do. I also believe the MVP should not come from a team that is loaded. The MVP should be the player that does the most to help hi ...[text shortened]... re in the dumper. Therefore, those are your three top candidtes for MVP...[b]in my opinion.[/b]
sc: The MVP should be the player that does the most to help his team win and who, if the team lost him, their season would be over.

No, it shouldn't. The award, I repeat, is for the Most Valuable Player in the LEAGUE. That is the player who has had the biggest positive impact on the standings this year. And the Celtics have made the greatest turnaround in league history to go from one of the worst teams to the best record in the LEAGUE. The idea that they could have done this without KG is ridiculous. And it's possible they might have made the playoffs without KG (in the East that's not too hard) but they'd be a second or third tier team expecting a quick playoff exit. Instead they have to be the favorite to win it all after the way they've played the West's elite in the last few weeks (they blew out the Hornets last night).

Before the year started, everybody was saying the Celts didn't have jack except the Big Three, now they're "loaded"! And they are because KG has helped raise the game of young players like Rondo and Perkins (who people thought before the season were liabilities). For everything he has done on the court and in the locker room, he deserves the MVP.

J

Moves
29 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by 425lsu
That's not true! They've been one of the best teams in the west ALL YEAR LONG. True that they didn't get a good streak until Pau Gasol came aboard but the Lakers have been one of the best teams in the west all year long and Kobe deserves it because he's putting up great numbers and getting EVERYONE involved and making EVERYONE better, including Gasol. Gasol and Kobe compliment each other very well, much like Pippen and Jordan.

M

Moves
03 Apr 08

I hate to break it to y'all but Kobe is the real MVP, like John said Kobe has been making every player around him better. Also, Kobe has been playing through more injuries this year then just that pinky injury, and if you don't know about them then you aren't a real NBA fan. The only other players that I will accept as legitimate MVP's besides Kobe are KG, CP3, and Manu Ginobili. I don't care bout the numbers or the fact that KG is playing with all-stars, he has totally changed the mentality of the organization and rejuvenated Paul Pierce. Chris Paul is playing the PG position as well as anyone can play it and is dominating at both ends of the court. No one talks bout Manu, but he has had an extraordinary year and has quietly kept the Spurs in contention for number one seed going into the playoffs despite missing Duncan and Park for a good portion of the season.

Now let me tell you who doesn't deserve the MVP. Number one, LeBron James. I don't care about how many points, rebounds, and assists this guy has this year, he is lacking in the all important category, wins. As far as I am concerned, if your team doesn't get fifty wins, you aren't in contention for the MVP award, period. Besides, his numbers aren't that impressive to me since he has been padding his stats all season. I remember earlier this month Kobe scored 50 in an overtime victory over the Dallas Mavericks. The very next day LeBron, worried about his precious scoring title, hoisted 50 points in a blowout win over the lowly NY Knickerbockers. Another player who doesn't deserve the MVP is T-Mac. Are you kidding me? T-Mac?! That guy is a bum, for example: I don't care that his team won 22 straight games, T-Mac wasn't the sole reason behind that streak. It was a combination of Rafer Alston stepping up, Luis Scola, and a cast of underrated bench players that none of you probably know quietly hustling their team to victory. Oh, and how could I forget Shane Battier; did any of you see the way he locked up Kobe Bryant? That was some of the most beautiful defense I have ever seen, especially in this era of limited-contact defense. So don't go tell me that T-Mac is an MVP candidate because if you do you obviously don't know that much about basketball. T-Mac has hardly carried his team this year like my four MVP candidates have: KG, Kobe, CP3, Manu.

Moves
03 Apr 08

Last night the Celtics tied the record for the best single season turnaround ever with their 60th win. They will soon hold the new record. KG is the MVP.

M

Moves
04 Apr 08

Last night the Celtics tied the record for the best single season turnaround ever with their 60th win. They will soon hold the new record. KG is the MVP.
Who do you think is more responsible for this phenomenal single season turnaround, KG or Danny Ainge?

Moves
04 Apr 08

i'd give it to mugsy bogues based on the height/mvp statistical ratio indicator.